How Do I Properly Flip A Cake Out Of A Pan??

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 6:13pm by leah_s

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 8

I know this must seem like a stupid question. However, I been reading posts that have different answers to this.

I usually flip my cakes out of the pan onto a cooling rack. But, I keep it upside down. Meaning the top (crown) is on the bottom.

I have read that I should flip it back over, once it is flipped out of the pan. Some folks take a cake circle and place it on top of the cake, then flip out. Can someone please elaborate on this for me.

Thank you.

=)

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 8

Whatever works for you is fine. I generally cool in the pan, and flip it out possibly even the next day. That should be horrifying to some people. When I bake I've generally got two oven filled for several hours.

But really, this isn't rocket science. Bake, cool, get it out of the pan.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 8

Are you having trouble with the cakes cracking? If so, trim the top (crown) off the cake while it's in the pan, then flip it out onto your cooling rack. Keeping it upside-down isn't a problem. (unless it causes cracking, because of the crown.) Actually, I feel like it cools a little better that way. (but that's probably all in my head! LOL!) icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 8

what djs said .... I flip mine back onto it's "bottom" only because I prefer the cake be sitting on the flattest side possible to avoid any potential for cake cracking. If you bake and/or trim a cake to a nice flat surface on top, it's perfectly fine to leave it "upside down" on your cooling rack.

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 8

I flip mine back over so it is resting on the bottom. If I don't, since my top is more moist it sticks to my cooking rack.

moranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moranda Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 8

leah_s

I have always been afraid of having the cake stick in the pan if I leave it longer than 10 minutes, do you ever have a problem by leaving it to cool completely in the pan?

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:51pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you folks. I am not having a problem with the cake cracking or sticking. I thought I was doing something wrong, becuase I have read that people do it a different way. I thought that maybe if I changed it up, I can improve my cakes????

Just looking for some helpful tips...

=)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 8

[quote="moranda"]leah_s

I have always been afraid of having the cake stick in the pan if I leave it longer than 10 minutes, do you ever have a problem by leaving it to cool completely in the pan?[/quote]

sure. But a quick run around the edge with a palette knife and it's out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%