Tiny Roses Piped In Ri

Baking By HeidiCrumbs Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 6:03pm by HeidiCrumbs

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 12

Hi!

I have an order for an American Girl tea party and they requested a tiny cookie, the size of a .50c piece, flooded with springy colors and a small rose piped in the middle.

I am panicing! I made some BC roses in my Wilton cake decorating class, which I failed at miserably. I can do just about anything in RI on a cookie, but it's always just using a piping bag and lines, not 3D type stuff, if that makes sense.

Can someone help me? What tips would I need? I'm assuming one for the rose petals and one for the leafs?

Also, I was just thinking I won't be able to stack them like I usually do in plastic bakery boxes. Would you package each one individually? Sounds really putsy.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

11 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 12

can you do one out of fondant?? they have little rose push molds you know, makes a 3-d looking rose out of fondant, all you do is push a bit of fondant in and pull out a rose!

dahir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dahir Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 12

I have piped roses out of RI on a toothpick. Use a tip 101

nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 12

How about if you think "ribbon roses," the ones that are coiled, instead of ones with individual petals? You can do this in RI with a round tip, just pipe a little spiral and add leaves. Or you can use fondant, just make ribbons about the width of a fettuccini noodle and roll a small piece of them (probably less than an inch) then you can stick it on with RI leaves.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 12

Can you use ready made RI decorations or sugar dec-ons? They have small roses.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 12

you could use tip 14 and do small rosettes, they would look like a little rose.

KHalstead Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 12

oh yeah I didn't even think about it.........they sell little royal icing roses already made! Depending on how many cookies they ordered and how much you're charging, it may be worth your while!!

http://www.cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?p_catid=177

This is for 120 of them for a little over $16

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 10:04pm
post #8 of 12

Yup, easy decorating and fast!

tammytaylor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammytaylor Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 10:10pm
post #9 of 12

You sure can. I ordered small RI roses from Global Sugar Art, think it was 50 of them for around $10.

HeidiCrumbs Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:30pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you so much for the replies!!

As for the tip 14, what size tip would I need for tiny little leaves to go with the size of the rose?

I am only charging .75c per cookie (5 dozen) so I don't want to order anything special as I didn't build that into the price I quoted them. And they're due the 19th and I usually like more of a buffer when ordering mail things for a specific order.

Oh, and I thought the fondant idea was great with the ribbon roses, so I opened my little bucket of Satin Ice and it was as hard as a rock! Into the trash it went, and I was actually excited about doing those ribbon roses like someone suggested!

Thanks again for all of your help, I love this board!!

KHalstead Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 5:43pm
post #11 of 12

um, you know you can microwave your fondant for a few seconds and reknead it with some shortening and get it back to a pliable consistency?

HeidiCrumbs Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:03pm
post #12 of 12

I didn't know that! I have actually never used it before, just bought it on a whim almost a year ago and for some reason I thought it stayed fresh forever! Lol! Going to dig it out of the garbage now........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%