Minn/st Paul Bakeries Or Supply Stores

Business By HeidiCrumbs Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 3:59am by JulieMN

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 9

Hi!

I'm taking a trip to the Minn/St Paul area this weekend and would really like to visit some smaller bakeries. Any suggestions? Also, are there any good supply stores that would have AmeriColor gel food coloring? Or cookie cutters or baking gadgets? I know I can Google all of this but I would rather hear firsthand from CC'ers.

Thanks! Heidi.

8 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:33am
post #2 of 9

The ONLY supply store in the Minneapolis area is Lynn's Cake and Candy. Since she moved into her new shop, her prices went WAYYYYYY up. She does have a fairly good selection of everything.

As for bakeries--I have no clue icon_smile.gif

Have a grea time in the cities! At leaset our weather has gotten warmer lately and the snow is about all gone.icon_smile.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:21am
post #3 of 9

I hear the Franklin Street Bakery is quite nice. Never been there myself, but my brother in law says it's awesome.

The only cake supply store that I knew of was Sweet Celebrations, but they closed a while ago. I've never heard of Lynn's, but now that I have a name I'm going to check it out.

Yeah, since it's pretty much impossible to have a cake business without having a full out commercial kitchen in MN, the cake supply stores are few and far between if existent at all.

Oh, I just remembered a place in Prior Lake called Edelweiss. I hear they're pretty good too. I went in there once and noticed a couple of wedding cake displays by the case.

I've lived in MN my whole life and it seems to me that everybody thinks of Walmart or Sam's Club or Costco when they need a cake.

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 9

Hhmmm, I thought there would be a lot more for the size of the Cities. That's too bad. I will definetly check out the ones mentioned though, at least it makes it easy to choose where to go, there's only three choices! LOL!!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 9

I have missed Sweet Celebrations so much since they closed. Lynn's really is the only game in town, so far as I can tell that carries items beyond the basics that are available at Michael's, Walmart, etc). Hope you enjoy your trip!

flourpowerMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourpowerMN Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:30am
post #6 of 9

The people at Lynn's are very nice and yes, they DO carry Americolor gel paste. I was there 2 weeks ago. They're still getting things set up but they do have a very wide variety.

I've never been to their shop, but Wuolette's Bakery does great work.

Have fun!

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:16am
post #7 of 9

Ahhhh but Sweet Celebrations website says it will be opening under new management soon....and I can't wait!!! I loved that store!

maidofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maidofcake Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:36am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnSnow

Ahhhh but Sweet Celebrations website says it will be opening under new management soon....and I can't wait!!! I loved that store!

Don't get your hopes up. The Sweet Celebration site has said that for the past year.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:59am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourpowerMN

I've never been to their shop, but Wuolette's Bakery does great work.

Agreed and they have a number of locations in different areas around the cities so depending on where you are going to be spending your time.......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%