Crayon/wax Resist/batik Effect On Fondant

Decorating By poppette1 Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 3:04pm by poppette1

poppette1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poppette1 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 5

I have the clear crayon from the Easter egg coloring set, and I am planning a fontant covered cake that is watercolored with alcohol diluted gel colors and lusters. Can I use the clear crayon to cover (small) areas that would remain white or less colored, like when coloring eggs? Think background texture, like for example clouds.

4 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 5

Not sure a crayon would work, but what about using shortning to keep the paint off the parts you don't want it on? (brushing a little on the fondant??)

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 5

you probably could, but then you will be feeding your clients wax, but it really shouldn't hurt them, after all crayons are non toxic. What if you masked off the area with cut out stencils or would that be to crisp of a look for you?

just wanted to add, i too think that shortening would do the trick, gum glue would work too. After all i know when i get that were i don't want it the color won't stick in that spot.

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 5

Just a hint, use clear alcohol on brush to wipe away any areas that get color on that you don't want. It's like having an eraser.

poppette1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poppette1 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 5

These are all excellent ideas I can use in my design, I love using new techniques and thanks so much for sharing your experience with me. I am only 1/3 into the first can of shortening I have ever purchased in my life, so there ya go, I know nothing... You guys all rock!

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%