Smbc - Seriously??

Decorating By momba5 Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 3:54pm by ladyk333

momba5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momba5 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:45am
post #1 of 37

I decided to try making swiss meringue butter cream because it seems to be so popular on this site. I can't imagine putting it on a cake. I think it tastes like eating super lite and fluffy butter!! Is that the way it tastes, or did I do something wrong? I used the "well dressed" recipe from this site. Please help!

36 replies
afunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afunk Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 9:28am
post #2 of 37

Hi-that is the way it tastes. I prefer it to shortening based buttercreams because of the flavor and texture. You could try flavoring it, but if you don't like the texture and flavor there is not much you can do.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:26pm
post #4 of 37

I think it is either something you like or you don't, no in between! I remember on one of the cake offs on tv Giada Delaurentis made the comment it was like eating a stick of butter.....that got some riled up! I have made it, and my DH loves it. It is all in what you like and are used to I think.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:31pm
post #5 of 37

the blog site, howtoeatacupcake . net has a recipe for smbc that uses less butter.....she's the queen of it....also, i believe, Mike from CC always says use lemon juice to cut the butter taste....works like a charm. Also you can put alot of flavoring into SMBC...experiment with fruit, caramel, use brown sugar...the stuff is fantastic once you get the hang of it.

pacable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pacable Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 37

I tried it once only b/c everybody was always mentioning it. To me it tasted like a big stick of butter but once I put it on a chocolate cake it tasted great. Still prefer buttercream but I might try it again sometime.

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 37

I made it last week also because I've read and heard so much about it.

I thought I must be weird because I didn't really like the taste of it.

FierceConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FierceConfections Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:43pm
post #8 of 37

Did you use salted or unsalted butter? It makes a huge difference. The key is to use unsalted butter. And by all means, add flavor! SMBC ( and IMBC ) accept flavor very well. And unlike traditional American buttercream, the sugar does not overwhelm your added flavors.

I stopped using American bc because adding fruit purees or preserves made it too sickeningly sweet.

Since I made the switch, I've gotten more orders for buttercream cakes.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:58pm
post #9 of 37

You're supposed to add flavoring to it, usually liquers or preserves. Never use salted butter.

Edited to add: If you refrigerate it, you need to let it get to rppm temp and re-whip it, or it will be too dense. If you make it correctly, it doesn't taste like a stick of butter.

Loucinda Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:00pm
post #10 of 37

I really think it ths the "mouth feel" that some don't care for. It is silky and that is what throws some - they don't expect their icing to "feel" like that in their mouths.

I have started offering it at my tastings, but it isn't ordered as much as my regular american buttercream.

costumeczar Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:05pm
post #11 of 37

I offer both, but I personally don't like the mouthfeel of a mouthful of crisco!

FierceConfections Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:15pm
post #12 of 37

Of course, it depends on your personal taste. Most Americans have grown up eating traditional buttercream made with shortening/butter and powdered sugar, so it's what's expected. I just think it's nice to give people other options. Most cake civilians don't even know that there are other types of buttercreams out there.

But, you know, whatever peels your banana. thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:20pm
post #13 of 37

The very first time we tasted IMBC was on a road trip to Wendy Kromers bakery. We bought some things there, and that is the icing she used on what we had purchased. My DH was in LOVE!! He actually drove us back to ask what kind of frosting it was because neither one of us had ever tasted anything like it. NO bakeries around here offered it.

FierceConfections Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:36pm
post #14 of 37

LOL! It changes lives!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:42pm
post #15 of 37

I really need to try SMBC - I used to only use American BC, but have switched to FMBC (no cooking involved is why I tried it first) and absolutely love it! I did take a few recipes and then came up with my own from seeing what worked for others, and mine is less buttery than ones I have seen. When I first made it (with more butter) everyone said it was like eating flavored butter - but now they LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

m1m Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:15pm
post #16 of 37

Yes, I did use unsalted butter.

I guess I'm just used to the american buttercream. Also, I do like really sweet things!

costumeczar Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:27pm
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1m

Yes, I did use unsalted butter.

I guess I'm just used to the american buttercream. Also, I do like really sweet things!

Then you probably wouldn't likethe meringue buttercreams! When I have people come to me who say "I don't like icing" I tell them to try the meringue, since I know they mean that they don't like the crisco icings. They always like the meringues better.

m1m Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:18pm
post #18 of 37

I think you're right Costumczar! icon_smile.gif

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:40am
post #19 of 37

I am in LOVE with smbc and since I started offering it every bride who has tasted it wanted it in her cake. I use half brown sugar and half white and ONLY unsalted butter. Made it with salted butter once and it was gross.

I am not a fan of shortening based buttercreams and NEVER use them. Even my american buttercream is made with real butter. Shortening melts at a temp higher than 98.6 degrees, hence the chapstick like coating in your mouth after you eat it. Unless you drink something hot or have a fever icon_wink.gif

SMBC compliments a good cake, it doesnt overwhelm it. That is why it is my new favorite.

costumeczar Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:53am
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma28

I am not a fan of shortening based buttercreams and NEVER use them. Even my american buttercream is made with real butter. Shortening melts at a temp higher than 98.6 degrees, hence the chapstick like coating in your mouth after you eat it. .

Mmmmm, chapstick!

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:02am
post #21 of 37

Adding preserves to SMBC is one of my favorite ways to fill cakes. I've done several chocolate cakes w/ Raspberry SMBC lately. I just add 2-3 tablespoons of preserves to one batch and viola! Magic!

The only thing that's tough is the weather. I live in Florida and there is NO WAY I could use SMBC at an outdoor wedding... except in the dead of winter...maybe...ok, no...never.

icon_lol.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:06am
post #22 of 37

I am also not a fan of the buttery IMBC or SMBC, at least, I don't THINK I am. I know, that sounds stupid. I didn't really like it when I made it, although I know I made it 'right', and yet, I kept going back and tasting it. So, I don't know if I was just trying to be fair and give it a chance... or if I secretly liked it and am just too darn stubborn to admit it! icon_lol.gif Many people told me that I shouldn't judge it until after tasting it ON a cake, but I found that I liked it better out of the bowl. I'm a weirdo. icon_rolleyes.gif

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:08am
post #23 of 37

I also tried IMBC this weekend and I felt the same way, my children wouldn't even eat it that all scraped it off their cupcake (LOL). My 7 year old said it tasted like eating butter (an I used unsalted). I stick with my buttercream recipe that uses real butter. No offense to those who like it.

I just have a different palate.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:32am
post #24 of 37

I tried cupcakes from a VERY expensive cake shop and they had SMBC on it and I thought it was nasty! Just like you said, overfluffed, not too much flavor butter. I like my icing sweet but not deathly sweet, so I just don't add too much vanilla to my buttercream. I find if I tone down the vanilla it isn't as sweet. I just could not imagine having a whole cake in SMBC. I do, however, like the look of flowers done with it because they have a glossy look. One day I hope to do a cake iced in my reg. buttercream, done with SMBC flowers.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:06am
post #25 of 37

I don't like it either. I made it with unsalted butter and lemon and I still didn't like it. I feel like it should be on a roll and not a cake. The mouthful of butter taste I just can't get past.It's weird because I LOVE butter and never use margarine, I guess just not on cake.

I've only made the IMBC and not the SMBC though. I don't like frostings with liquers either but I think my sister would like it very much as she doesn't like sweet icing. I do prefer american buttercream with some butter or cream cheese in it. Different strokes for different folks.

momba5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momba5 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:56am
post #26 of 37

Thanks for all the advice! I have just spent the last 2 hours reading past discussions on this topic and I have learned alot....I might even be converted. Guess I'll try it again and see if I like it better this time.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 11:56am
post #27 of 37

I posted some links earlier and have continued reading this interesting thread. I love SMBC and since I started making it my in-laws have been converted from bakery-type frosting. My MIL who isn't into sweets loves this frosting, same with DH.

I wanted to add that although all the recipes, and everyone here, stresses to use unsalted butter, I DO add salt to my recipe. Most people use unsalted in baking because the amount of salt in salted butter varies by brand and you can control the amount salt by starting without. Salt enhances the flavor. Do you eat unsalted butter on your bread or muffin? No. It tastes plain and greasy. That may be why so many people think SMBC tastes plain and greasy.

Like any recipe...definitely add some salt - maybe 1/2 tsp per batch, along with flavors: vanilla (lots), melted chocolate, lemon curd, preserves like jhay recommended, anything but plain.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 12:46pm
post #28 of 37

I will say that I'm not a fan of either IMBC or SMBC. I do use a meringue based bc, but it also uses Hi Ratio. Light and fluffy, no greasy feeling on the tongue, stores at room temp and easy to make.

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:16pm
post #29 of 37

i always use smbc, everone raves about it, the like the silky feel with cake and cupcakes, i used it at a filler when torting....and like pattyt i always add a little salt and LOTS of vanilla, i dont even measure it any more!!! just pour it it!! lol, leahs i was interested in trying your recipie, would you mind sharing it?? TIA!!

baby

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:20pm
post #30 of 37

I've made SMBC using 1/2 unsalted, 1/2 salted and like the taste way better this way. I do add about 1/4 cup of flavoring and a bit of lemon juice. I'm not a huge fan of the liqueours but then I don't believe I quite got the flavor combo down right, so its more my fault than the recipes.

Also, for those who don't 100% like the taste of traditional powdered-sugar buttercream, I've mixed 1/2 SMBC and 1/2 PS Buttercream and those same people flipped over the icing.

It was more stable, easy to decorate, and had a wow factor for taste. Those same people never went back to their grocery-store type cakes again after their icing conversion. icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%