Help.......frost Ice Cream Cake??....

Decorating By msthang1224 Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 12:02am by msthang1224

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 14

Hi, I need to make an ICE CREAM CAKE for a customer but I need help. Can I cover it in Buttercream? I have heard that some people use Bettercreme but I don't have any plaace that sells it locally, that I know of.

I have also heard to cover it in whipped cream. I tried a whip cream(stabilized) once before and I didn't have much look. It melted right on the cake.

What do you cover you ice cream cakes in?
If Whip Cream, is it store bought or would you please share your recipe?

TIA

13 replies
bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 14

Oh Wow, cant beleive anyone is asking a question I can answer. Yes I use buttercream, it works great and seals in the ice cream very well.

msthang1224 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 12:16am
post #3 of 14

Lol, I be feeling the same way too. Great, now I know it can be done because I was so scared to do it. Thank you so much.

A couple of ?'s: Do you use stiff or medium buttercream?
      Does it taste good, I have never had it?
      Is it hard to smooth onto cake and ice cream because the surface will be cold?

Thank you so much for your help.

msthang1224 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 9:44am
post #4 of 14

HELLO, I'M BACK AGAIN, LOL

myKzooKid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myKzooKid Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 14

I don't know how the buttercream tastes on the ice cream cake as I've not had it before. Another option though is using either ice cream seriously softened to a spreading consistency or a mixture of ice cream and cool whip/whip cream. The two ice cream cakes I did, I covered with 60% ice cream/40% cool whip (creamy kind). You do have to work fast but I managed to get at least on of my cakes pretty smooth on my first attempt. It tasted great. HTH

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 14

Buttercream works fine. Made 2 in the last 3 weeks and got great reviews both times.

msthang1224 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 10:27pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate it. My customer mentioned buttercream as her icing, but I wasn't sure about it.

CNCS: Did you use stiff or medium buttercream?

Can you help me with how to transport an Ice Cream Cake?

Should the cake part of the Ice Cream Cake go on the bottom of the ice cream or the top?
My cake will be size: 12x16x2

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 11:39pm
post #8 of 14

I'd make either the ice cream part or the cake part the "filling" and sandwich it between two tiers of the other one, then frost with buttercream. I've done it-works great!

maendings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maendings Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:46am
post #9 of 14

I've got a couple of pictures on my photos of ice cream cakes; the pink one with the rosettes and the yellow one with the stars. I use the culinique pans for the cake and then the ice cream is in the middle. I've tried several techniques and this is the easiest. I also frost most of them with cool whip or stabalized whipping cream. You can tint whipping cream and it pipes fine- but work quickly.
If you use the culinique pans (wilton has some too), make your cakes, cool them, put them on a cookie sheet, add softened (but not too soft) ice cream to the middle only of each cake- don't cover the entire cake- cover with plastic wrap, stick in the freezer overnight, take out, flip one on top of the other and frost and decorate. Squish them together if they look too high.

Colleen

msthang1224 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:02am
post #10 of 14

Ok thank you. But, of course I have another question, lol.

Since I'm using a 2in pan. When you are preparing the ice cream in the pan to set in frezzer. Should I fill the pan to height?

Or should I only fill pan half wsy with ice cream?

* not sure about the height of cake and ice cream combined will be 6in tall. That probably would be too tall, right?

JasonR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JasonR Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:25am
post #11 of 14

For future reference one other option for the ice cream cakes is a whipped topping, non-dairy if I recall correctly, called Pastry pride that works well for icing them. Here on the west coast Smart n Final carries it but I don't know who else does.

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:26am
post #12 of 14

I've been making ice cream cakes for 5 years. Started off with the betty crocker dome filled pan!! I now make 3 tiered ice cream cakes. PM me and I can tell you just about anything you want to know about ice cream cakes.... from covering in whipped cream, to covering in ganache. I have a step-by-step tutorial to ensure sturdy, melt free delivery. I'll have to email it to you....as I'm not very handy with attachments. No need for any special pans, use the ones in your cupboard. Stay away from the reduced fat ice creams. I have transported from San Diego to LA, (about a 2 hour drive). They are fun to make, and everyone in the room will have a piece.

maendings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maendings Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:31pm
post #13 of 14

I bake for my son's restaurant and make alot of ice cream cakes - anhy shap or size. When I first started making ice cream cakes (many moons ago- kids were little), I would bake 2 cakes, put saran wrap in another pan, put the ice cream in and freeze, then take it out, put it between the 2 cake layers and frost- wayyy too much work. Then I evolved to using springform pans-bake the cakes in a regular pans,put saran wrap in a spring form put a cooled cake layer on a cardboard round, a frozen layer of ice cream, another cake layer, stick the whole thing in the freezer but it was usually too tall and went over the top of the pan. Again, alot of work. That's why I went to the Culinique pans. It's a very quick and easy process. The longest part is decorating how you want it. If you get on the Culinique website (or Wilton Fanci Fill pans) you can see how it works.
email me if you can't see the pictures. I haven't got the hang of attaching them here.

Colleen
[email protected]

msthang1224 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:02am
post #14 of 14

Hi all, thank you so much for all of your help and encouragement. I'm sorry to report hat after all of the preparation and researching etc, my customer completely did a 360 degree turn and order another cake. I was a lil upset but glad that she didn't completel cancel on me. I haven't been able to upload any of my pics to this site for quite sometime know, don't know what the issue is. But, again thank you all so much for all of your help. I'm sure that the info you have granted me will be put to use one day, hopefully for the summer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%