Brilliant White "real" Buttercream Icing?

Decorating By bluehawk1982 Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 7:01pm by tinygoose

bluehawk1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehawk1982 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 16

I have been asked to make my first wedding cake but the bride likes the flavor of real buttercream (which i always make) but wants a bright white cake.....my question is, is there such a thing as bright white "Real" buttercream? she does not like the crisco buttercream which i know would be bright white
Any help greatly appreciated!
Sarah

15 replies
SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 16

They make a white food color That I know michael's sells. I think you could use it with this.

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 16

Look on the cake boss advertisement site and go to recipes. At the end of her BC recipe, which is delish, she tells you that you can add a tiny bit of violet to the bc to achieve a white in stead of off white. I've tried it and it makes a pretty white.

SPCC Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 16

They make a white food color That I know michael's sells. I think you could use it with this.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 16

You would have to use a whole bottle of the white food color to get it white enough.

SPCC Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 16

not so great then! icon_rolleyes.gif

kate6207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate6207 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 16

A true buttercream that uses actual butter is never going to be a pure bright white. They only way to get a pure bright white will be to use crisco and butter flavored extract. The bride is probably going to have to compromise and decide what is most important to her. The look or the taste of her cake. Hope that helps icon_biggrin.gif

bluehawk1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehawk1982 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 16

Thanks everyone for your replies, Ivy i thought as much, i will have to ask the bride what is most important

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:15am
post #9 of 16

There has been talk lately on these forums about the possibility of buying organic butter which would be white. I haven't looked for it myself but maybe you could check out this option at a health food or organic store.

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:38am
post #10 of 16

Kroger has organic butter I buy it for personal use. It's a bit more expensive than regular butter. Now that you mention it, it is a lighter color.

bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:59am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyhayes

Look on the advertisement site and go to recipes. At the end of her BC recipe, which is delish, she tells you that you can add a tiny bit of violet to the bc to achieve a white in stead of off white. I've tried it and it makes a pretty white.

Thanksicon_smile.gif Can't wait to try adding the violet!!

DancingCakes2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DancingCakes2008 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:12am
post #12 of 16

I have used the bright white stuff from Michaels, let me tell you LOVE IT!!! I always put it off but needed to do the same thing as the OP, and I DID NOT have to use the whole bottle (I made swiss meringue buttercream) It was such a pretty color of white.

Bride and groom loved it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:44pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingCakes2008

I have used the bright white stuff from Michaels, let me tell you LOVE IT!!! I always put it off but needed to do the same thing as the OP, and I DID NOT have to use the whole bottle (I made swiss meringue buttercream) It was such a pretty color of white.

Bride and groom loved it.

WELL I'M GLAD IT WORKED FOR YOU! I've used in on all butter BC and have never gotten it "WHITE". Seems others have had the same experience. You must have a magic touch.

jennywenny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywenny Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:37pm
post #14 of 16

I generally make a meringue buttercream and it is extremely pale, if not white. I make swiss meringue buttercream but I'm sure italian meringue buttercream would be similar

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:46pm
post #15 of 16

I've also used Wilton's White-White and acheived a "white" real buttercream icing. Only drawback I've had is if you try to add color to it. Red will only get pink and so on.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:01pm
post #16 of 16

I tell the brides. "My icings are not white-white, they are off-white." Butter is not white, real vanilla is not white." I don't eat white - white icing either, because I know what's not in there...blek.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%