I Won My First Competition!

Decorating By Rylan Updated 27 May 2010 , 6:21pm by 4realLaLa

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 1:55am
post #1 of 37

I'm was so nervous. There were lots of beautiful cakes! Here are just some cakes a photographer took:

http://www.cwithersmedia.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=8380993

There are more cakes that are not on there (lots of beautiful cakes). One of my cake is on the second page (ones with trellis and birds). I won best of show! I still cannot believe it. My other cake I made won 3rd place and I am very happy. I'm so excited. Thanks to all the people who were there for me. Thanks to all the Cake Central members who answered every single question I had. THANKS AGAIN and CONGRATULATIONS to the winnerws!

Gotta leave, I'm at Coffee Bean right now. See you on Monday.

36 replies
bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 2:08am
post #2 of 37

Congrats!! Just Beautiful!!!

tracienvegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracienvegas Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 2:23am
post #3 of 37

Congratulations Rylan.

Send me some pictures when you get a chance so I can share them with the cake club.

Tracie

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 2:34am
post #4 of 37

Yay! Congratulations, Rylan!! What an absolutely gorgeous cake - and I'm such a fan of all white cakes. It's simply stunning!! Where was this show? There are some fabulous cakes pictured so the competition was clearly excellent and very stiff. You should be extraordinarily proud!

I entered my first cake show last weekend and took 3rd in my division (adult intermediate) and I was THRILLED. I can't imagine winning best in show! Totally wasn't expecting to place at all so it was a pleasant surprise when I went to pick up my cake on Sunday after the show.

Way to go! thumbs_up.gif

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 2:39am
post #5 of 37

Yay Rylan!!! icon_biggrin.gif

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 2:50am
post #6 of 37

Woo hoo, Rylan!!!! Man, that trellis cake is gorgeous! Congratulations ~~ your CC family is so proud of you thumbs_up.gif

preciouspjs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciouspjs Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 2:51am
post #7 of 37

congrats that cake is gorgeous!! I entered my first competition last weekend too newmansmom, did you do the ct cake competition?? thats where I was.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 2:52am
post #8 of 37

Congratulations. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Love, love the cake.

Do share how you did that amazing trellis.

You are so talented and inspiration to the rest of us.

stacylambert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacylambert Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 3:15am
post #9 of 37

Congratulations! You're cake is beautiful!

When I clicked the link, I was like I recognize those cakes! I didn't know you were competing in San Diego. I was supposed to compete but I, unfortunately, didn't get my cake done in time. My husband is competing in the sculpted category, but we haven't been down since drop-off Friday night to see if he won anything.

Again, congrats! You definitely deserve it!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 3:29am
post #10 of 37

CONGRATS!! Gorgeous work!

Michele

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 3:45am
post #11 of 37

Congratulations

cwithersmedia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwithersmedia Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 5:57am
post #12 of 37

Congratulations.

It was great being at the event and we will see you there tomorrow for the awards banquet.

Your cake was a real beauty and there will be more pictures up on the website later tonight and tomorrow, so make sure you keep checking back.

Casey

cwithersmedia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwithersmedia Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 7:47am
post #13 of 37

45 more new photos added to the link posted above.

I also wanted to thank all of you for taking time from your already busy lives to visit the website and take a look at the photos.

Thanks.

Casey

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 7:55am
post #14 of 37

Congratulations! Your cake is gorgeous!

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 8:16am
post #15 of 37

Congratulations. That is a really stunning cake, and you deserve the recognition. Awesome work.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 9:19am
post #16 of 37

Outstanding job, Rylan...it's beautiful!

Congratulations!

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 10:32am
post #17 of 37

Congrats! Well deserved prize.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 11:16am
post #18 of 37

Just gorgeous, Rylan icon_smile.gif

Last year I got two from two entries in my first big cake show...my kids still talk about the scream that came out of me when I found out about my awards, LOL....I can surely understand your excitement!!!

Great work!

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 12:30pm
post #19 of 37

Wow! Your work is always so flawless Rylan. You certainly are talented and are developing a distinct style that I seem to recognise before I read the cake is yours.

To Casey - they are beautiful photos.

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 8:15pm
post #20 of 37

Rylan-

Congratulations! You are so talented. The cake is gorgeous.

That cake should be in a bridal magazine. The photographer is talented too.

Rylan- one day you may be winning the wedding cakes at the oklahoma show some day. Again, such incredible talent

A rising star in the cake world. Are you attending ICES in San Diego. Hope to meet you in the future.

Good Luck

Also, I love your website and thanks so much for the tutorials.

Rylan Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:59pm
post #21 of 37

Thank you all so much! I was so nervous and never even expected to win. When I found out the best of show competes with the other non professional category for best of show, I was already feeling hopeless. I still can't believe I won.

Newmansmom2004, CONGRATULATIONS for winning! You should be so proud! The show was located in San Diego/La Jolla.

Stacy, I recall seeing a Chris Lambert on one of the table cards. Was that your husband? That cake looks amazing!

stacylambert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacylambert Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:18pm
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Thank you all so much! I was so nervous and never even expected to win. When I found out the best of show competes with the other non professional category for best of show, I was already feeling hopeless. I still can't believe I won.

Newmansmom2004, CONGRATULATIONS for winning! You should be so proud! The show was located in San Diego/La Jolla.

Stacy, I recall seeing a Chris Lambert on one of the table cards. Was that your husband? That cake looks amazing!

You shouldn't be too surprised that you won, your cake looked FLAWLESS in person. Just beautiful.

Yes, Chris is my husband and his cake was the dog. I believe there were all of five cakes in his category and he didn't get a ribbon. He was so sad! He said he retires from decorating and is now calling himself my sous chef. LOL!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 12:36am
post #23 of 37

Absolutely beautiful work! Congratulations!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 12:40am
post #24 of 37

Congratulations Rylan...You work is just Stunning!!!!

Rylan Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:58pm
post #25 of 37

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!

Stacy, thanks. My fiance saw the sculpted dog and he was amazed. The sculpting was great!

For those who have been asking how I made the trellis, I posted instructions on my website for the entire cake.

www.artandappetite.com

THANKS EVERYONE!

rltmeng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rltmeng Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 8:20pm
post #26 of 37

icon_surprised.gif WOW, perfection! I hope my cakes will look at least 1/2 that great some day thumbs_up.gif

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 8:36pm
post #27 of 37

Congratulations Rylan! Your cake has to be one of the most beautiful and original I have seen in a long time. Kudos, you should be very proud! icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:18am
post #28 of 37

Thank you everyone!

I forgot to say congrats to Evoir!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:19am
post #29 of 37

Whoo hoo to you!! party.gif It is just gorgeous!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 11:13pm
post #30 of 37

Ryan-

WOW!! I saw your chocolate cake you featured on cc magazine and the light blue cake you posted on your website Art and Appetite.

I know in a few years you will be a top cake decorator. Thanks for sharing your cake photos with us.

I am so happy for you your cake was featured on the cc magazine debut!

I let all my cake friends know about your website. I hope you to see more of your gorgeous cakes at a future cake show. Again thank you for sharing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%