Fondant

Decorating By Redsoxbaker Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 6:09am by christianmomma

Redsoxbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redsoxbaker Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 18

I was just wondering if most people purchase their fondant or make their own.

17 replies
noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 18

i make my own coz im a cheapskate. =) plus its hard to find pre-made fondant here.

Liz23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz23 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 18

I also make my own unless I need red or black. That's the only time I will pay for ready made fondant.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 11:06pm
post #4 of 18

i buy mine, i prefer the quality control i get when i buy it, i buy renshaw regalice (im from the uk) and its beautiful, great to work with , great tasting, and the coloured versions are perfect, especially for blacks and reds.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 3:42am
post #5 of 18

I can't afford to buy mine. I make my own - Michele gave me her recipe about 5 years ago (when I was totally broke but wanted to learn) and I haven't used anything else since - If you haven't tried it - you should! MFF all the way!

Redsoxbaker Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 3:48am
post #6 of 18

noahsmummy and Liz23 what kind of fondant do you make? Is it hard to make? I was thinking of trying to make some but I've never made it before. Liz23, why do you buy red and black?

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 3:57am
post #7 of 18

i make mine as well. marshmallow fondant is CHEAP to make and i find it to be fast as well. here's the recipe i use
1 cup packed marshmallows
1 tbsp. water w/ a dash of extract
mix these 2 together and pop in microwave for 30 sec., take out and stir til completely dissolved. pour in 1 1/4 cups of powdered sugar and stir til the mixture comes together a bit. then grease up your hands A LOT! pour mixture onto work surface and add 1/4 cup (or however much more you need) powdered sugar and knead til it's the consistency that you like it. my rule is that i know it's done when i can push into it and it's not really sticky.
i'm exhausted and hope i didn't leave anything out icon_smile.gif

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 4:05am
post #8 of 18

I make my own, either MMF or a glucose based one. All I can buy here is Wilton's. Too expensive.

noahsmummy Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 4:20am
post #9 of 18

i make mmf; either rhondas ultimate mmf or marshmallow fondant- macmoms bc flavoured variation. it depends on whether i can find glucose or not. =) also with the b/c flavoured one; we dont have butter essecnce or whatever its called here; so i sub it out for vanilla and lemon juice, as in rhondas recipe.

Both recipes are here on cc and i highly recommend both. The first time i made fondant i did "regular" fondant and it was a nightmare, i dont know how many batches i threw out. But with mmf, first time i made it, worked beautifully! and ive only just started playing with it.

so so so super easy and QUICK to make as well. =)

also, people usually buy black and red fondant as it is hard to get those colours "true" again, im a cheapskate and also dont have fondant readily avial. here so invested in some good quality black and red coloring. i made balck last night without a trouble.. its black as black can be! at first i thought it was green and was stressing./. but woke up this morning.. and its def. balck. =) am yet to play with my red.. thats tonight game. =)

good luck.=)

noahsmummy Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 4:22am
post #10 of 18

whoops... i meant glycerine.. not glucose.. icon_redface.gif my bad...

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 4:28am
post #11 of 18

I make mine except for the black....I tried and used way too much black color and got no where....

noahsmummy Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 4:33am
post #12 of 18

i used fondant that was already orange first then added the black.. i read somewhere that you shouldnt try and colour white straight to black? but yeah, i didnt have a problem, i used powdered colour as well, dont know what brand tho.. sorry.

Redsoxbaker Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 4:42am
post #13 of 18

It sounds like mmf is the way to go! How much does 1 batch make? Will it cover a cake? About how long does it take to make? I want to make sure I do it when I have enough time. icon_biggrin.gif

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 4:57am
post #14 of 18

for one "batch" I use about 16oz mini marshmallows, 3tbs of water, 1/4 cup crisco and a total of about 2lbs of powdered sugar. I micro the marshmallows and water together for 1:30, stir really well till smooth then add to about 1 and a half lbs of the powdered sugar sifted and the crisco. I don't have a good kitchen aid mixer so I stir til mixed then I knead it in the bowl until most of the ps is mixed in and its not too sticky(Grease hands with crisco very well if using this method) then i turn it out onto a ps covered surface and slowly add the rest of the powdered sugar till its at the right consistency. So in other words...REAL CHEAP, NOT LONG and the size batch I make is enough to cover at least a 10 inch and 8 inch with left over icon_smile.gif hth ....oh almost forgot I usually add extract to the micro mixture when I take it out

noahsmummy Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 7:29am
post #15 of 18

make it at least a day in advance; its good to let it rest over night or at least for a few hours before you use. and yes, depending on how thick you roll and how big the cake is; i can can usually get AT LEAST 2 cakes out of one batch...

nadia0411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadia0411 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 9:38am
post #16 of 18

i live in Riyadh saudia and am originally from pakistan so i didnt have access to ready made fondant that easily. It was a challenge but i decided to make my own and since then i never bother to look for readymade fondant. I used wilton recipe at their site and it turns out great everytime. You can use it immediately or after couple of days. Both ways it works, if u find it hard, microwave for a couple of seconds and it will be pliable again. i have to try MFF as i have heard great comments about it. it tastes much better withouth preservatives and u can always make fresh as u need.

Redsoxbaker Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 1:10pm
post #17 of 18

That is great to know. That seems to be quite a lot of fondant for the money. I'm always looking to save some money and it sounds like it has a better taste also.

I also think it is very cool how we are from so many different places! There are so many people from around the United States but also from Australia, Riyadh saudia, Canada, UK, etc... It's really funny how much we are alike and it really doesn't matter where we live but we all have that common bond of baking! thumbs_up.gif

christianmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christianmomma Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 6:09am
post #18 of 18

I make mmf and love it. I only buy Chocolate fondant because adding chocolate can get tricky with the tecture. I only recommend that you color your fondant immediatly after making it so that you don't kill yourself kneeding it after it's been refrigerated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%