My Cake Fell Apart

Decorating By flakeycakey Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 8:47pm by monet1895

flakeycakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flakeycakey Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 6

I'm trying to make a 6" fondant covered cake. I baked the cake, leveled it while still a little warm, wrapped it in plastic wrap, put it in the freezer. This morning I took it out of the freezer and let it warm up until it was just a little on the cold side. When I went to put the buttercream on the cake just started falling apart. I tried and tried to "cover up" the problem but it just looked like a red hot mess. Also, I tried working with MMF for the first time today and it has a lot of little bubbles in it. Is that normal? I like the flavor but I think I will stick with regular fondant from now on. Jeeeeez! Cake baking is a lot of work.

5 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 6

I do not have much luck freezing cakes, so I just don't do it! Every one I have tried to freeze has done that too. (not sure what we are dong wrong there - sorry I am no help)

As far as the fondant, I think you just need to knead it more. MMF is the only fondant I use regularly. I see a lot of different issues with it because I also teach others - and I see how they are making it and the mistakes they make. You need to knead it until it is like satiny smooth and not sticky any longer.

Last - the smaller the cake, the harder it is!! I hate working on those little 6" cakes. They are a lot more work than a big one IMO.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 6

I wrap my cakes while still warm in plastic wrap, and then foil. I usually wait to level it until it's thawed. I have not had any problems. What recipe are you using for your cakes?
Can't help on the MMF - I only use MFF.

anotherslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anotherslice Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 6

I'm sorry your cake fell apart!
I love to freeze my cakes before I level them, it makes them easier to work with. I never freeze a cake after I have leveled it.
I let my cakes fully cool, then I wrap them up and freeze them. When I'm ready to level and fill, I defrost the cake in the fridge (still wrapped) overnight. I've done this successfully with 6-inch cakes. HTH.

flakeycakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flakeycakey Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks so much for the info! I don't like to freeze them either and this was the first time that I tried it. As for the fondant.....it was the first time making that too. Maybe I didn't get the ingredients right or didn't knead it long enough. I'm just FRUSTRATED! Ha Ha!

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 6

To TNT and Anotherslice: Can you tell me about leveling after freezing/ thawing? I've been leveling before freezing. Open to the tips and suggestions! TIA!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%