Very Very Shiny Metal Looking Gold Dust Which One?

Decorating By laynie72 Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 5:30pm by ttehan4

laynie72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laynie72 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 8

Hi there, I am in need of getting very realistic gold pieces for a cake, I have gold dust powder, and I have gold airbrush paint but it always seems to be a bit dull, I have seen with Duff or the cake boss ( of course) how their silver or gold is always so shiny, do you have any idea of what is it that they use?
I also usually star with yellow fondant base before applying but my gold is not shiny gold.

Attached is a cake from Pink Cake Box in NJ this is how shiny I want the pieces to be any ideas are very much appreciated.

Thank you!
LL

7 replies
laynie72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laynie72 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 8

The picture attached is not very good here is a URL of a very gold looking cake if you want to check it out.

http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/gold-30th-topsy-turvy-cake-2009-12-10.htm

Thank you!

vita752001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vita752001 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 1:09am
post #3 of 8

I think they used gold highlighter.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 1:19am
post #4 of 8

it looks like gold highlighter, maybe even with a lacquer over it. The shine looks really deep.

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 8

I'm not sure what gold highlighter is, but I had the exact same problem as you until I bought 24 karat gold luster dust. I got mine from New York Cake Company. It's the best--if you skimp and buy the cheaper luster dusts, you're not going to get the effect you're looking for. See my roulette wheel cake in my photos for the gold I got with the 24 karat!

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:10am
post #6 of 8

What is a gold highlighter ? I want one!!! Thank you icon_smile.gif

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:21pm
post #7 of 8

Gold highlighter (at least what I buy) comes in the same containers as petal dust, luster dust, pearl dust ect. It just says "highlighter" on it. It leaves an awesome gold or silver shine like real metal. I mix mine with vodka or everclear alcohol. Fun to do!

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:30pm
post #8 of 8

Looks like gold Glaze in the photo.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%