Sugarveil In The Cricut

Decorating By emilyg Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 8:05pm by emilyg

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 20

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd share a new SugarVeil technique with all of you - here's the newest cake I did using SugarVeil Icing in the Cricut. I had been cutting individual shapes up to now, but thought I'd try a little different approach. First I spread the SugarVeil icing mixture thinly onto a greased silicone mat so it would set into a sheet of 'fabric'. When it was set, I placed the sheet on a liberally-greased cutting mat, stretching it with my hands as I pressed it tightly onto the mat. Then I took a roller and used as much pressure as I could to roll the SugarVeil even thinner while it was on the cutting mat. I was able to cut the entire caketop out of the one piece of SugarVeil, and then slid the piece onto the cake using a dry sheet of parchment paper. The small cutouts from the caketop were used to decorate the cake's sides, and I used our Lace Confectioners' mat with red food color to make the lace flower in the center. Thanks! Emilyg
LL

19 replies
Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 20

You did a fabulous job. I want to try both the Cricut and the SugarVeil.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 20

I have sugarvail and a cricut but haven't tried the sugarvail yet, I was wondering how does it taste. your cake is beautiful thank you for sharing the details.

emilyg Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 20

Thank you, Tatorchip. SugarVeil Icing has a pleasantly mild, not-too-sweet flavor, and kind of melts on the tongue. It doesn't taste anything like royal icing, and since it's really neutral, you can add flavor if you like, too. Emilyg

lis73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lis73 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 20

Wow, that is absolutely beautiful! I am really looking forward to trying Sugar veil. Now, how do I add this picture to my favs?

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 20

Huh!!!! I had actually wondered if sugarveil would work in the cricut! That's good to know! I'll have to give it a try!

LateBloomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LateBloomer Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:17pm
post #7 of 20

This is so fantastic. I wish we could get sugarveil in South Africa!

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 20

It's BEAUTIFUL, I love the look.

Which Cricut did you use. I'd love to have one & Jo-Ann's has one on sale but I think it's too small to do this (Cricut Personal). I'm also going to have to look into SugarVeil. icon_smile.gif

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyg

Thank you, Tatorchip. SugarVeil Icing has a pleasantly mild, not-too-sweet flavor, and kind of melts on the tongue. It doesn't taste anything like royal icing, and since it's really neutral, you can add flavor if you like, too. Emilyg

Thank you, I will have to give it a try. can you use any flavor type or will any kind be okay, such as with or without oil or alcohol

twincakesanabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twincakesanabelle Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 8:16pm
post #10 of 20

Hi Emilyg, thank you for sharing. Your cake is beautiful. I would like to know what are the settings on your cricut? Thank you

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 9:36pm
post #11 of 20

WOW! I can't wait to try this! The cake turned out beautiful!

emilyg Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 1:18am
post #12 of 20

Thanks for the kudos! Both oil and alcohol-based flavorings work fine, if you desire to add flavor of any kind to SugarVeil. The Cricut settings I used were: Speed 5, Pressure 3, and deep cutting blade set at 4. -Emilyg

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:53pm
post #13 of 20

I just cannot believe that I have never heard of Sugar Veil!!! I just got an expression and am cutting up a storm. Now I just have to go out and get some Sugar Veil. YAY NEW TOYS! Thanks for all of your comments.

luvducks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvducks Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 7:10pm
post #14 of 20

Emily,
This is absolutely gorgeous! How did you create the pattern on top? I thought the Cricut only cut shapes in a straight line on the pad...

emilyg Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:44pm
post #15 of 20

LuvDucks, the top of the cake is an image from the Mother's Day cartridge that we enlarged to fit the top of the cake.

Thanks for the kudos!

Michele at SugarVeil

twincakesanabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twincakesanabelle Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 5:45pm
post #16 of 20

Hi Emily, Could you color sugarveil with gel colors or food coloring dropes? Thanks

SoonerGirl1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoonerGirl1968 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 5:56pm
post #17 of 20

Emily - I bought Sugarveil because I was so excited about using it in the Cricut but I could NOT get it to work. I made a couple sheets of SV and let them dry so they were smooth to the touch. I thought I did it just like the video showed (I watched it several times to see what I was doing wrong) but every time I tried to cut - it tore. I tried several different things, keeping it overnight in a zip lock, placing it in the oven on low low heat to dry further, deep housing blade, adjusted pressure and speed, etc. but it just kept tearing. I love the product and would really like to get it to work. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any advice you can offer!! icon_smile.gif

emilyg Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 9:16pm
post #18 of 20

Twincakes, yes, you can use liquid or gel colors with SugarVeil. For really dark or intense colors, tho, be sure to use powdered color and mix it with the dry SugarVeil before adding water.

Soonergirl, it sounds like your SugarVeil sheet was spread a bit too thickly. To make the set sheet thinner, here's what you can do: Grease the cutting mat liberally with Crisco, and place a piece of the SugarVeil sheet face down onto the mat, stretching it by using downward pressure with the warmth of your hands (like in the http://www.youtube.com/sugarveil video). Then roll the SugarVeil sheet as thinly as possible with a roller. A small diameter roller will give you the most pressure (below pictured is a plastic roller that's actually for clay, which really works well). If you've only a regular rolling pin, use your hands/pressure directly on the center of the pin rather than at the handles, and roll out very tightly in all directions onto the mat.

This will make your SugarVeil sheet very thin and fine, and will cut nicely. Please email us at [email protected] if there might be any other questions we can help you with.

Thanks much,
Michele at SugarVeil
LL

craftyberna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyberna Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:10pm
post #19 of 20

Hi, just thought i would say your cake is absolutely amazing, i have just ordered the sugarveil and wondered do you put it straight onto the cricut cake mat, hope you can help many thanks

emilyg Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:05pm
post #20 of 20

Hey thanks, crafty. Here's a link to the complete SugarVeil in the Cricut instructions: http://www.sugarveil.com/pdfs/sugarveil-electronic-cutters.pdf

All the small details were important to do in our tests. The Cricut cake mat works fine for the process - email me at [email protected] if you've any questions. Thank you!

Michele at SugarVeil

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%