Train Cake For 60-65 People!!!

Decorating By vampy Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 1:59am by confectionsofahousewife

vampy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vampy Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 6

Help! how do i do this????
Its a cake for my sisters baby shower but i have no idea where to start, do i make the cakes then freeze them? if i do that how do i freeze them? i was thinking of making 3 cabooses and the engine part so technically 4 cakes but have no idea on the sizes.
Any info you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

5 replies
CakeEvolution Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEvolution Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 6

Okay....First you need to determine how you will transport the cake, once it is completed.
Will this be on ONE large base? Broken down and assembled at the event??

Second....What size portions will be used to cake this cake...Party size or wedding size??? I think EVERYONE is definitely going to want some of this awesome cake, so go with party (larger) size portions.
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Third....SKETCH...even if you cannot draw that well...put some blocks/rectangles or something on paper.lol.....so you can have a visual of what you need to accomplish...It works wonders!

Fourth...Determine the sizes of each piece... Dont forget that carving will reduce your serving size!! I would probably do a square and cut in half-stack-carve/shave to specific measurement.

Let's Begin
I would make all my fondant/gumpaste accents pieces first. Then bake my cakes, fill and crumb-coat. Alternate btwn tasks....Time management is KEY here with 4 cakes. Allow plenty of time for the cake to settle before FINAL icing coat.
I would have ALL my cakes ICED, ready to start decorating and just knock them out, one by one!!! Starting on a blank canvas each time, unless there are certain details you will be incorporating onto each of them (No need to double back)....HTH

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 6

I made a Gordon the train cake (from Thomas) that you can see in my photos. I didn't do any calculationas to how many people it would feed because it was just for my son's birthday at our house and I knew it was more than enough. I baked a 16 inch square and cut that up into pieces to assemble the train. The pieces were about 12 inches long and 4 inches wide and I stacked three pieces together and began to carve. I made the coal car separately out of the leftover pieces. In my mind that cake would easily have served 30 people, maybe more. So if you tacked on a couple of passenger trains that would be plenty I would think. Not sure that was helpful but thought I would add my train experience.

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 6

I made a train cake which you can see in my photos.

I wasnt sure at first how to go about it, but in the end I just baked a large square cake, filled it, then cut into blocks and stacked and kinda played around til it looked right.

the carriage can be a square cake cut in half and stacked together. I just covered the whole thing with fondant, carved the engine part by rounding it off slightly and then adding all the extras like funnel, wheels etc.

I also put sweets in the carriage bit as I cut out about 1/2 inch from top of carriage to make it look like a big hollow.

Once you have the basic shape you will be ok ot decorate as you wish.

try getting a photo of a train - that will help to get the shape.

Hope this helps.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 6

Allow for a lot of time lol.........I worked for 5 hrs on a train cake last night (decorating only....baking time not included) and I'm no where near finished icon_sad.gif

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 1:59am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

Allow for a lot of time lol.........I worked for 5 hrs on a train cake last night (decorating only....baking time not included) and I'm no where near finished icon_sad.gif

So true! The train cake I made took FOREVER. Much longer than I thought. There were so many little details!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%