Shaved Coconut

Decorating By jsmith Updated 3 May 2010 , 2:17am by jsmith

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:19am
post #1 of 8

I have a customer who wants shaved coconut on a cake like the picture below but I'm not sure how to get the coconut shavings. I originally thought they were white chocolate shavings but she's sure it's coconut. Does anyone know how to do this?
LL

7 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:22am
post #2 of 8
jsmith Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:25am
post #3 of 8

Ah, I see. Thank you! You're fast!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:26am
post #4 of 8

She's right, it's coconut.

Crack a fresh coconut in half, drain the juice, pry a wedge of the coconut from the shell using something blunt like an oyster shucker.

Take that wedge and use a vegetable peeler to very thinly shave thin strips of coconut from the cut edges.

You can then let these air-dry OR if you'd like them to have a little bit of toastiness, spread them out on a cookie sheet and toast them in the oven at 350 for 5 minutes....checking every extra minute or so to prevent them from browning/burning.

Store in an airtight container out of the fridge until ready to use. thumbs_up.gif

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:37am
post #5 of 8

If you go to martha stewart.com and look at the coconut cupcakes she explains how to do it.

It is easier to drill out the three "eyes" of the coconuts and toast in a 350 oven for 15 minutes, let cool then crack. The shell will come away from the meat after cooking. Then just use a butter knife to peel it away.

The coconut is amazing this way. I use it all the time. No more prepacked!!

jsmith Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:53am
post #6 of 8

Thanks for your help! I can't wait to try it out. And that coconut cake by martha stewart looks delicious! I'm going to have to try that too. icon_smile.gif

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:58am
post #7 of 8

we get coconuts all the time (great after scuba diving treat plus coconut cake) so i swear by the drain and oven the coconut before breaking the shell method

jsmith Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:17am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for your help before. Just thought I would post a picture of the finished cake. Shaving a coconut was harder than I thought!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%