Business Insurance Question

Business By Ashlynn Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 11:50am by ziggytarheel

Ashlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashlynn Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 6

I'm thinking of going to my church and talking to them about renting their kitchen (they have a school house they refinished that has an AMAZING kitchen). Before I talk to them about this here is my question. If I sell cakes from there and someone decides to sue me for something (I'm hoping this would never happen but in this sue happy country you just never know) could they go after the church for any reason because I'm using their kitchen? Would insurance cover this?

Sorry I know its kind of a rambling question, I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered before I approach them with this. TIA

5 replies
IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:37am
post #2 of 6

I believe so, but call the agency you are thinking of. They know better.

You can get $1 million for $350 a year. It's very affordable.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:51am
post #3 of 6

yes, anybody can sue anyone for anything. In most cases, if someone were to sue over an incident, they would sue all parties involved, no matter how big or small their part was. (That is what I as an attorney would tell my client, sue everyone involved, you never know what the discovery process will reveal, it may not have been your cake that killed the client but some chemical in the church oven that did, just for example).
As far as your insurance, unless you own the church, your insurance does not cover them, that is why they have their own insurance

Ashlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashlynn Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:03am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

yes, anybody can sue anyone for anything. In most cases, if someone were to sue over an incident, they would sue all parties involved, no matter how big or small their part was. (That is what I as an attorney would tell my client, sue everyone involved, you never know what the discovery process will reveal, it may not have been your cake that killed the client but some chemical in the church oven that did, just for example).
As far as your insurance, unless you own the church, your insurance does not cover them, that is why they have their own insurance

Thats what I was afraid of, if there is no way they can be completely uninvolved if I were to be sued I know they won't let my use the kitchen.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:21am
post #5 of 6

You can name the church as an add'l insured and there is usually no charge to do that (there wasn't for any of the certificate of liability's that were issued for me over the years). This just says that if the church is named in a lawsuit because of something you did, then your insurance covers them.

This is also what you will do when you take a cake to a venue and they ask for liability insurance. (You dont' just give them a copy of your policy. That doesn't cover them. Your agt will issue a Cert of Liab insurance with them named as the add'l insured.)

Each state is different and the best authority is your own insurance agent. Please don't take my word for it ... talk to him/her about it.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 11:50am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

You can name the church as an add'l insured and there is usually no charge to do that (there wasn't for any of the certificate of liability's that were issued for me over the years). This just says that if the church is named in a lawsuit because of something you did, then your insurance covers them.

This is also what you will do when you take a cake to a venue and they ask for liability insurance. (You dont' just give them a copy of your policy. That doesn't cover them. Your agt will issue a Cert of Liab insurance with them named as the add'l insured.)

Each state is different and the best authority is your own insurance agent. Please don't take my word for it ... talk to him/her about it.

I deal with additional insureds and certificates of insurance most days, and some policies have no charge for additional insureds, but MANY do. Why? Because your insurance company is now insuring them, defending them in case they are sued. Depending on the type of coverage and the risk, sometimes these are small annual charges, and sometimes they are a bit larger. Some policies list the types of insured which are covered at no charge, other policies charge for all types of additional insureds, but the cost varies as to what type of AI they are. Landlord AIs are frequently either no charge or low charge.

Ask your agent! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%