Whew ... Off The Hook On This One

Decorating By cakesbybert Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 12:12am by shelbycompany

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 16

but I can see a disaster in the making!!

I was asked by my daughter's BIL and his bride to make their cake in Nov for a June wedding. They had design picked out - simple and elegant. No problem would be glad to make the cake - but she also wanted pies to go along with it. No problem I thought at the time - although I had really been rethinking the making pies part. Anyway they had no idea how much they would need, told her to get with her mom (lives out of state) and get back with me after the first of the year on the numbers and we would figure up the deposit and such.

Okay no contact - so sent her a message yesterday and got my answer back. They have decided to have the MOB - yep MOB make the cake. Now she does not decorate cakes. She lives in PA and wedding is in KS, PLUS she is doing all of the food for the reception dinner!!!! Don't know how all of this is going to work out. But my response to her was thanks and that I had others wanting me to make cakes for that day and I would let them know that I was available.

15 replies
adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 16

Sounds like you got out of something that will be a mess! I wouldn't want anything to do with that thumbsdown.gif Good luck to the Bride and Groom on this.........I would never ask my mother/father to do something like that for my wedding day. They have to pay enough $$$, they should be able to enjoy the day of the wedding as well. icon_rolleyes.gif

rikkijo314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rikkijo314 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 16

Hopefully the day before the wedding you don't get a desperate phone call asking you to make it again!

cakesbybert Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkijo314

Hopefully the day before the wedding you don't get a desperate phone call asking you to make it again!

Oooh I can already see the writing on the wall! I figure I will get a call to borrow my equipment. NOT going to happen - I have firm rule - I do not lend out my stuff!! But I also figure I will get the desperation call about a week before - that's why I already indicated that I had others wanting that date. Besides that I already saw that it was going to be hard to get paid.

Oh things look to be very intertaining on this one - besides trying to do everything theirselves - she wants real plates! Been buying different style of plates at thrift stores - and that will look good icon_confused.gif ??. My question - whose doing the dishes?!?! My daughter says not her (since she hasn't been asked to do anything else for the wedding)!!!

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 16

Yeh I think you dodged a bullet! And if she does ask to borrow stuff, you can let her know that you have other orders that you need your stuff for. Man, that's going to be one stressful wedding I think icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 16

I feel bad for the MOB........she obviously doesn't realize what she's set herself up for (can we say...........STRESS!!!)

cakesbybert Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:20pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I feel bad for the MOB........she obviously doesn't realize what she's set herself up for (can we say...........STRESS!!!)

I know and the worst part she lives out of state. I mean I did do my daughter's wedding & groom's cakes - BUT I do decorate cakes and live right here and was smart enough to realize I couldn't cook the meal too. Don't get me wrong I thought about doing it - for about 2 minutes and said for the $$ my sanity was worth more.

Josie_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Josie_girl Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 16

I think the MOB is going to end up having a nervous breakdown. I can only hope that the BRIDE doesn't decide to save more money and ask her mom to make her wedding dress as well!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:59pm
post #9 of 16

Will you be attending the wedding? Oh man, I hope so. What a sight that could be! Poor MOB.

dberck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dberck Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 16

Do you think they expected you to do it for free and when you mentioned a deposit they decided to try something else? That will be one long weekend for that MOB!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:25pm
post #11 of 16

Hey jammjenks... are your PMs working?

Sounds like you really avoided something, poor MOB does she really know what she's getting into?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:33pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Folks .... I *AM* (ok....was!) a professional caterer. My son is getting married in October. I am making his cake but he has to pay one of the very talented caterers in town to do the food. I hated doing that to him (coz I really could have saved them a ton of money) but I don't have a big kitchen anymore; I don't have the equipment anymore; I don't have the staff anymore; and oh yeah most important of all ...... I'M A PARENT OF ONE OF THEM!! I want to SEE my son get married, not be locked in a kitchen doing hot hard sweaty work.

I saw it all the time. "Oh gramma's a good cook! She can do the food!" Gramma may be a good cook but does she know how to cook for 100? It's WAY different!!!

Shermie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shermie1 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:48pm
post #13 of 16

Oh yes, been there. My daughters were married 5 weeks apart. Receptions were at the same church and everything. Even though both of the cakes I had made were disasters,( Same lady did BOTH of them). I had enough good sense to know that I could not do it all. God Bless the ladies in the church that put ALL the food together and kept it fresh and filled. They were a God send. But unless you have done it before and have the tools and know how, it is a disaster waiting to happen. Be Glad, be VERY glad you dodged this bullet.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 7:28pm
post #14 of 16

I feel for the MOB, and can predict there will be complications. I was the 'go to' person at my daughter's wedding. I didn't do the cake, or the catering, but they still had to hunt me down for pictures. That night went so fast, I still can't believe it happened.

I hope for her sake, it's a small wedding, VERY small wedding.

Good luck to everyone.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 11:41pm
post #15 of 16

OK, I have to come clean...I took my first cake decorating class in November, 2007 and made my daughter's wedding cake in June, 2008. I also did most of the cooking for the reception (small, though, about 65 people). I was SO naive when I made that cake! I had not discovered CC yet (which was probably a good thing) and so I had NO IDEA all of the things that could have gone wrong. The cake angels were watching over me! Everyone thought the cake was beautiful and I had several people ask who catered the dinner icon_biggrin.gif . SO, maybe this MOB isn't so crazy after all...or maybe I'm not as sane as I thought I was!

shelbycompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbycompany Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 12:12am
post #16 of 16

OK! I am a newlywed. Like Elcee, I have to come clean. I did almost everything for my own wedding. It wasn't because I was trying to save that much money or anything, I just really enjoy making stuff. I wasn't crazy enough to make my own wedding cake but I did make the grooms cake. Seriously, I was up until 4:00 am the night before my wedding. I woke up and finished decorating the grooms cake in my hotel room. Everything turned out so awesome but for the amount of stress I had, I will NEVER do anything like that again. I had groomsmen telling me to "calm down" and "everything is going to be so perfect". I bit my tongue but I was thinking " Yeah well you're not the one having to make f** ing cookie favors the day before your wedding". Oh yeah, BTW the best man got up in the middle of the night and ate some of the cookie favors and I didn't have enough so I had to make more last minute. icon_surprised.gif

I really hope you don't get a call last minute. Telling her you had other cakes that day was a good idea. If I were you I would be "out of town"

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%