Ever Made Cakeman Raven's Red Velvet Cake??

Baking By cakelady11215 Updated 23 Feb 2010 , 5:45am by LeckieAnne

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 12:17am
post #1 of 9

heard it was great, but a little confused on the recipe.

top of the page says Baking Time: 15-20 minutes, 325 degrees
bottom of page says Bake @ 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.

top says Yields: Three, 9-inch layer cakes
bottoms says serves 10-12 (big pieces!)

last but not least...only 1 tsp cocoa powder
i think i used 3 tbs in my last recipe

i sent an email through the website so maybe they'll respond, but i thought i'd post it here just in case someone has tried it.

thanks,
cakelady11215

8 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:17am
post #2 of 9

I made it last week, it was ok, but a little oily. It is also the reddest cake I have ever seen. It is very moist and light but not good for carving.
As far as baking temp and time, I never follow the recipe, bake until done at 320

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:21am
post #3 of 9

I've made it many times and it is one of my customers' favorites. The cocoa amount is correct. As for bake times, I'm like pattycakesnj. I don't follow the recipes on times/temps. I bake at 325 until done.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:29am
post #4 of 9

i have baked it several times. i love it.. i think bobby flay's recipe beat his in a challenge. haven,t tried bobby flay's . but will. it looked really good on tv.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:33am
post #5 of 9

Really love it.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:50am
post #6 of 9

yup! i make it all the time. just made some tonight for my daughters cake tomorrow. its my kids favorite.
in a pinch i have used duncan hines red velvet-doctored and honestly they cant tell the difference.
the cocoa poweder is correct. you have to remember red velvet cake is not chocolate cake colored red.
i too bake at 325 until done.
good luck with the recipe- if you are a fan of red velvet, i think you're gonna love this one!

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 5:01am
post #7 of 9

thanks so much everybody, i feel a lot better about trying this now! one more question, pattycakesnj said she thought it was a little oily. she doesn't want the cream cheese frosting, she wants real butter (smbc) buttercream. so, grease on top of grease, basically! should i try to persuade her against this, or you think it's a good combo?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 5:24am
post #8 of 9

i make red velvet at times , using the mock buttercream. it is really delicious. toba garett has the recipe in her book. there are several variations of it. but they are really good. especially on a red velvet. hthi think also. the recipe is on this site.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 5:45am
post #9 of 9

I use only half the food coloring and cut out about a 1/4 of the oil -and add that amount of buttermilk -I thought it was too oily too and everyone raves about it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%