Does It Matter When You Torte?

Decorating By cakefort Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 6:01pm by cakefort

cakefort Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefort Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 4

I typically freeze my cakes after baking. I always torte before putting in saran wrap so I don't have to do it when I'm ready to fill and ice. Yesterday I made a WASC, but used a yellow cake mix instead. The outside of the cake was a bit tough (the inside was just barely done and it was at 325) and torting made a mess. Since this doesn't usually happen, I wonder if it was because I used yellow cake mix, should have baked longer at 300, or should have frozen, defrosted, and torted semi-cold.

Thoughts?

3 replies
QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 12:03am
post #2 of 4

I've used yellow mixes with WASC several times with great success. I also freeze my cakes before using. I take them out of the freezer the day I want to work with them and torte them while they're still frozen. I let them thaw, then fill them.

As for the tough edges and almost not done center - what size and shape pan did you use? I find that mine bake better if I use a flower nail in them, even if they're only 8" rounds. It helps them to bake more evenly so I don't even have to level them. I always bake on 325 as well.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 3:10am
post #3 of 4

I torte after baking and before freezing...but I've never used the WASC recipe and that may have been why you had a problem. And yes, anytime your outside is baking faster then your inside you will need to bake for longer at a lower temp. In the kitchen I work out of I actually have to bake at 275.

cakefort Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefort Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 4

Wow...275! Good to know. 300 just seemed so low.

The pan is an 8x3 round. I tried the flower nail once and it didn't seem to help the center bake any faster so I never tried again.

Thanks for the responses

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%