Send Me Instructions @... Tell Me How You Did This!...

Decorating By sadsmile Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 12:33am by Deb_

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:06pm
post #31 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

Thank you for posting this. There have been times that I have received requests for how to make the flowers in my avatar. I'm flattered that people are interested, but it's not an easy thing to describe. The thing took me 6 weeks to make!

It really annoys me when I get this request and I tell them that they can purchase the DVD with written instructions and I never hear from them again or get an order for it. The making of the DVD took a full 8 hours to tape, then it took the camera operator about 2 weeks to edit and put into proper DVD form. I typed the instructions to go with it that comes on a CD. I think that is at least 10 pages of instructions. It wasn't a cheap project either!

I will help with questions that are limited and nicely requested. Like most people here, I don't have all day to type instructions for something I made who knows how many years ago and made it up as I went along. Almost everything I do is made up as I go along.

Thanks again for posting this.

Michele

That's because they want you to tell them how to do it for FREE! lol!

I'm like you, most of my cakes I figure out as I go along, it's much more fun that way.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:06pm
post #32 of 53

I've read the comments where some say that to people and I have to agree it's quite rude. I always think to myself "oh yeah this person just spent X amt of hours making this and because YOU demanded, not asked for, complete instructions they are going to now sit down and type up complete instructions for you. I wouldn't do it. Like you have nothing better to be doing just because "you" demanded. I would think a "Would you mind, when you have time making a tutorial on how you did that" or "Would you mind sharing your technique on how you did that flower/design on your cake?" I certainly would appreciate it. But "send instructions to xxx@xxx won't get it.

Yep more flies with honey.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:46pm
post #33 of 53

I actually had posted a while back a question where why did some people not reply back when leaving comments. I believe I had put something like thats rude and well something of that sort (not to mention I did it all in CAPS) I honestly did not know that meant shouting.

Im by no means trying to stir the pot on this one but I was totaly mis understood and well I got all chewed up and spit back out tapedshut.gif lol !!!!

Anyhow

I totally understand on why some people may not like to share recipes or even techniques and like someone posted if it has taken you 10 hrs to make it, by no means do you want to give someone the easy way out.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:13am
post #34 of 53

Unless someone makes a living writing how-to-decorate books or makes how to videos, I can't imagine WHY someone would write down step-by-step on how to decorate a cake?

Maybe because I grew up, cake-wise, in the era of "look at the picture and figure it out". No videos, no internet, no CC, no classes (unless you knew a lady who MIGHT be willing to show you some techniques), nothing. If you couldn't look at it and figure it out, you were screwed.

I think BECAUSE I had to learn everything "the hard way", it's why, like everyone on here has already said, I'm HAPPY to answer questions about a specific technique and I'm VERY GRATEFUL to those who help me out when I have a question about a specific technique. But man, don't ask me for step-by-steps. Never wrote 'em ... can't foresee that I ever will. thumbs_up.gif

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:59am
post #35 of 53

I am soooo not even on the level to get a lot of questions but I have seen exactly what you are talking about. It does look extremely rude!! I remember seeing one cake (I believe it was a carved fish cake) and there were a ton of those "send me instructions" comments--the caker put in there several times that she got the instructions from a book. Told them the name of the book, author, all that. And they still continued with the demands. Blew me away. I know I have sent PMs with specific questions and have gotten help--this site is great for that!!! I have learned so much from cakers on this site!! But a "please" and "thank you" do go a VERY long way!!!!

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:10am
post #36 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

I will help with questions that are limited and nicely requested. Like most people here, I don't have all day to type instructions for something I made who knows how many years ago and made it up as I went along. Almost everything I do is made up as I go along.

Thanks again for posting this.

Michele

That is what I have been thinking about lately too. I have seen many comments under photos with very short questions (like can you tell me how you did this?) as if they did not even bother to read the OP's description or all of the comments.
Many times I see questions about things that have already been answered. Many people are so polite to answer the same question over and over again.
It is extremely disrespectful of anyone's time. If they can't even bother to read everything and then to spend the time typing a better question with specific detail of what they need help with, then why should anyone bother to spend time answering them?
Good post, this seems to have been on many people's minds! thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:42am
post #37 of 53

You know the other side of the coin (that really bugs me) is if I ask a question of someone on how they did this or that (and I'm always nice about it) -- some don't respond at all. That's just plain rude. If I'm asked a question that I just don't have the time to explain every nuance of I always write back a little blurb at least acknowledging the person and their question. But to just blow off someone is certainly not in harmony with the sharing community CC truly is.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:49am
post #38 of 53

There are a lot of cakes I see on here and I'd love to see how they did them or maybe see pictures of the process especially if it is a carved or pieced together cake, but for the most part, you can look at most of these cakes and kind of figure out HOW to do it. I can see asking what particular cutter they might have used or if it was a stencil or a question about a specific element of the cake, but to ask for full blown directions. It always comes across to me like "hey, why don't you come here and do this for me because I'm too lazy to figure it out."

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 7:53am
post #39 of 53

How do you feel answering PM when they ask like this??

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603551.html

HTH

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:30am
post #40 of 53

dont worry, all those that just post their email adresses in the comments are opening themselves up to the spammers icon_evil.gif
xx

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:45am
post #41 of 53

Now, here's one of those things that never bothered me until I read this post. I have sent instructions. Gone above and beyond. Taking pictures and typing up a step by step tutorial basically. I've had some grateful recipients with wordy expressions of gratitude and one was a "got it. thanks." huh????? I just spent a good hour + on that for you - not to mention how much time I just saved you in trying to figure it out like I did!

Guess it's like the pricing lesson. You give of yourself then realize you're worth more than that. I read this whole thread and wasn't going to comment but as I went through other topics this kept nagging at me. Guess I always feel compelled to respond because EVERYONE I have EVER asked a question of (after a lengthy detailed compliment - of course!) has been so kind and generous that I feel I don't have a right not to share.

After reading this, however, I suspect much of the generosity I've experienced is prompted by my GENUINE expression of appreciation for their talent followed by a respectful inquiry. And I AALLLWWAAYYYSS notify someone of a cake I've posted if anything about their cake inspired anything about mine. And, I give them credit too! Whether I've asked them anything or not. I saw one cake that I apparently inspired that I just happened across. It was AWESOME to see my name in the comments as inspiration but, well, chalk it up to ego but I'd like to be notified if I've helped or inspired your piece, the pic is posted and/or my name is mentioned in the credits. It's rewarding to know if you've inspired something and thoughtful of an artist to post it but if you never see it...then.... ??? How about you PM me at: Ijustspent3daysfiguringthatalloutandemailedyouinstructionssoyouwouln'[email protected]

Good thread. It'll make me think twice now about my responses. Perhaps I'll put as much effort into my response as they put into their question.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 11:09am
post #42 of 53

I so agree with this post! i see beautiful cakes, cookies etc all the time and then there's like 10 or more people saying send me instructions, ugh. I usually like to read the comments especially if its something really cool, because the caker(or cookie artist) may have answered how they did it, if they didnt describe under the photo) Sometimes it does seem rude when there's all the requests for directions. I have pm'd a few people and as described in previous posts, I stated how great the item was and boy I just cant figure out how you did this, did you do it like this...? and then I would go on to say what i was planning on making and was so inspired by their work, I've gotten a response every time. Sorry this seems rambly, I need more caffeine.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 12:20pm
post #43 of 53

I try to send help when I can, but I tend to be kind of wordy so I know that when I get started it's going to take me a long time. I'll just say that the demands for instructions aren't limited to people who post pictures, either. I don't have any pictures up (you can go to my website for those) but I've mentioned things in posts, and I'll get a PM about it. My "favorites" are the "give me your recipe you were talking about." I don't have time to send people recipes, and I definitely don't have the inclination since I bake from scratch and have developed most of my own recipes. I send people to epicurious.com in those situations.

If I want to give instructions I'll do it on my blog or my facebook page, where people actually tend to have a conversation about it rather than a gimme gimme gimme fest.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 3:05pm
post #44 of 53

It's good to see that many agree that extending some pleasantries and making friends is a great perk of CC and not hopefully more who read through some of this will understand how sometimes the short and to the point can be mistaken... and that they should come back and say thank you. Heck I'd like to hug someone when they have responded to something I have asked in PM or in comments. It's just super nice to take time away from whatever they are doing and help me out.

Like that other thread JanH, but I love you... our little cyber librarian. thumbs_up.gif You are always trolling with helpful links!

tootsie927 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootsie927 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 3:48pm
post #45 of 53

Hello All,
I just wanted to say that I have asked serveral times for instructions on how a cake was made and am very appreciative that the decorater has taken the time to share their invaluable information with me, which has saved me from many catastophes. I was under the impression that was the purpose of this website and would never have comtemplated that anyone would be offended by my asking a question. I am fairly new to cake decorating and always inspired and awed by the creations posted.
I would be happy to share any instructions if I were asked to help someone out.
Luckily, I've always asked people who were kind enough to respond right away and I would like to THANK YOU again!

overindulged Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
overindulged Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:12pm
post #46 of 53

@Tootsie... I think there's a difference between demanding instructions (ie.. send instructions to me at my email addy) vs. posting a Q on the forum regarding techniques, etc. I think that's where the OP's main point.

I am an architectural designer. I can look at magazines, internet for various floor plans and inspirations, but my floor plans are MY designs. If someone calls me up and say, "Send me your plans", I would say "Pay Me". KWIM? To me its a similar situation... I get inspiration and some How To's here... but ultimately its up to me to figure it out myself.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:13pm
post #47 of 53

It's too bad that the folks who need to be reading this thread..... aren't icon_sad.gif

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:28pm
post #48 of 53

I just posted this in another topic, but it applies here as well:

Okay, as a newbie, I do PM people for advice, and I appreciate every response I get. I always start off by complimenting their work (because, let's face it, it's awesome if I'm asking how to recreate it, and then ask the question). Here is a PM I recently sent:

Your cake is flawless! Can you tell me how you made the woodgrain detail and the ice cubes? You have inspired me to try something similar.

I ALWAYS send a thank you when I receive a response because I know that everyone is busy and I'm a complete stranger. There are those of us who are TOTALLY grateful for any time that the more-experienced members spend helping us out! Really! icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:43pm
post #49 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsal

Okay, as a newbie, I do PM people for advice, and I appreciate every response I get. I always start off by complimenting their work (because, let's face it, it's awesome if I'm asking how to recreate it, and then ask the question). Here is a PM I recently sent:

Your cake is flawless! Can you tell me how you made the woodgrain detail and the ice cubes? You have inspired me to try something similar.

I ALWAYS send a thank you when I receive a response because I know that everyone is busy and I'm a complete stranger. There are those of us who are TOTALLY grateful for any time that the more-experienced members spend helping us out! Really! icon_smile.gif

See, something like that would take about 30 seconds to explain, and the request is delivered in a far nicer way than "Tell me how to do it." I think that the likelihood of people getting response is based on the extent of the instructions required, and also on the tone of the request.

Deb_ Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:56pm
post #50 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

It's too bad that the folks who need to be reading this thread..... aren't icon_sad.gif

I think you're right. icon_sad.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:09am
post #51 of 53

No judging by the number of views quite a lot of people have read through this and just have not replied.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:29am
post #52 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

No judging by the number of views quite a lot of people have read through this and just have not replied.

You are so right Sarah... a lot of lookie loos icon_eek.gif

Deb_ Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:33am
post #53 of 53

Wow you're right over 2800 views is a lot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%