Tiered Cake Question

Decorating By cakechiq Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 3:18pm by cakechiq

cakechiq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakechiq Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:56am
post #1 of 7

So I have a customer that wants a 2 tier square stacked cake this weekend. I've done round before so I'm not too worried. What does bother me a bit is that she has requested the same size tiers. So both tiers will be 12 inch with the top being slightly offset covered in fondant. Will I need to have any extra support...aside from the regular dowels? And what about the cake board? I'm used to using the thick ones I can buy at JoAnn's or Michael's. Thanks!

6 replies
manahigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manahigh Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:09am
post #2 of 7

Won't the corners overhang with both tiers being the same size. I don't think that would look right.

cakechiq Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:44am
post #3 of 7

that's what i was thinking. i was trying to explain to her that a 12" and 10" would probably be better. even with the top tier off center it will still hang over, correct?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:35am
post #4 of 7

you may have to literally make a picture for her. cut out two 12" square pieces of paper (newspaper will work) and show you the configuration. I'd even cut a 10" square and show her how THAT will be. I think a 10" square is 14" from corner to corner. you could turn it SLIGHTLY, but couldnt' do the diamond-square configuration w/o some hangover.

cakechiq Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for your input. I talked with my customer and convinced here that 2 different sizes would work better. I was going to do a 12" and 10" square based on the serving size charts I've seen. But talking with a friend of mine, who also does cakes, she doesn't think that will be enough to feed 60...is she right?

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 7

That is 100 servings according to Earlene's chart...(40+60)
Should be MORE than enough! Even with big pieces!

cakechiq Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 7

Even with Wilton's chart it's 30 and 48 serving for 78 total. I was thinking I was picking an adequate size but my friend made me second guess myself! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%