Those Of You With Cake Blogs...

Lounge By jillmakescakes Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 1:47am by Torts

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 12:05am
post #1 of 39

Do you get many comments on your blog posts?

I started making a serious effort to blog every week, and I've been good at keeping up. I'm just wondering how many of you get comments. I have only gotten one blog comment and I didn't know if that was normal or if I am doing something wrong.

Thoughts?

(ps- I also want to see if the changes I made to my profile take... I added my website link as well as a siggy!)

38 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 12:16am
post #2 of 39

I have one and I think it takes awhile to get a good amount of traffic...if you have a website and/or facebook page, just link to everything and see what happens.

I have a blog and its pretty slow right now too.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 1:09am
post #3 of 39

I've had my blog since dec 08...it's slow. I think the niche blogs/ tutorial sites, like Bakerella and such do better as they are geared for a wider audience. The only reason I maintain my blog is for the web stats, it helps with the google rankings. My friends/ family make comments the most. Every now and then I'll get a real stranger post a comment.

Now my facebook pages, that is totally different. I have followers from all over the world (don't know how that happened) and I get more activity on that, almost daily, than my cake blog. I also have my cake blog linked to my FB page through the RSS feed.

flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 1:21am
post #4 of 39

I have had a blog for a few years, and it just depends. I have a lot of followers, but may only get a comment or two when I post an update. My blog is mainly to show friends and family my cakes since I do it pretty much for fun! It's always great to comment, but I don't worry too much if I only get a few. Best of luck and happy Baking and Blogging!

Sandi

Kitagrl Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 1:22am
post #5 of 39

Both my Facebook page and my blog are slow but my website gets a good amount of hits.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 1:26am
post #6 of 39

i hjave had one for a couple months now, and it slowly builds.

Hang in there!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 1:36am
post #7 of 39

I get some comments, but more people read it than comment. You can put a counter on your blog if you want to look at your site traffic, for your own curiosity. I use statcounter.com, and it was fairly easy to set up.

I try to comment on blogs when I read them, since I know it's encouraging to get comments! I'm going to go read all of your blogs now icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 1:42am
post #8 of 39

I have this cool thingy on mine that shows where your visitors are from and such...its neat to look at...can't remember where I got it but if you go to my blog you can check it out!

Kitagrl Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 1:43am
post #9 of 39

Costume, how did you get your facebook page to have such a simple link?

costumeczar Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:14am
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Costume, how did you get your facebook page to have such a simple link?

If you have more than 25 fans of your page you can request a "vanity" address. Here's the link http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/help.php?page=900

costumeczar Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:16am
post #11 of 39

That link might be weird. this one is more direct www.facebook.com/username

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:23am
post #12 of 39

Kitagirl -- I like that feature that shows where visitors are from. Do you pay for that?

PinkLisa Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:33am
post #13 of 39

Kitagirl -- I found the free widget. Love it!! I added it to my blog.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:16pm
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I get some comments, but more people read it than comment. You can put a counter on your blog if you want to look at your site traffic, for your own curiosity. I use statcounter.com, and it was fairly easy to set up.

I try to comment on blogs when I read them, since I know it's encouraging to get comments! I'm going to go read all of your blogs now icon_smile.gif

Thanks a million!! I added the counter to my blog and the vanity addy to facebook!

http://nataliecakes.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/nataliecakes

LOVING IT!!!

AmandaLP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaLP Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:25pm
post #15 of 39

If you are interested in blogging as part of your business, check our problogger.net Many of the articles will not be applicable, but many will.

The main idea is to ask what you want from the blog. I like the blog, and I think it is a great resource to educate your clients. Is that what you want it to do? Or would you prefer to have it as a sales pitch?

Great job!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:48pm
post #16 of 39

I have a website, FB, Myspace (it's getting out of style, but I still get business from it), Twitter, Flickr and a blog! I pretty much just started the blog as a way for me to continue my writing. Honestly, I haven't kept up as much as I should or want.

My blog is pretty slow. Not too many followers or comments, but that's okay.

www.kreacioneskity.blogspot.com

dalis4joe Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:11pm
post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLisa

Kitagirl -- I like that feature that shows where visitors are from. Do you pay for that?

Hi: How do you get the links in your signature? I tried putting some links and they don't show...

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:33pm
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLisa

Hi: How do you get the links in your signature? I tried putting some links and they don't show...

dalis4joe: your signature line has 3 links: what appears to be your webpage, your FB page, and your blog, so I think you DID it! icon_wink.gif

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:46pm
post #19 of 39

I have a blog too, but I just started mine last month. I mainly wanted mine to tell some of the funny stories about cakes and making them. I also figured that I'd post recipes that I like, and things that don't work as well. Mine is slow too, but then I've only posted like 5 times on it since I started it.

PinkLisa Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:55pm
post #20 of 39

I don't get many comments on my blog, but I have gotten a lot of traffic from it to my website. I'm not sure how people find my blog first and then go to the website. I had originally thought it would be the other way around. I started the blog to help my SEO.

dalis4joe Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 9:14pm
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

I have a website, FB, Myspace (it's getting out of style, but I still get business from it), Twitter, Flickr and a blog! I pretty much just started the blog as a way for me to continue my writing. Honestly, I haven't kept up as much as I should or want.

My blog is pretty slow. Not too many followers or comments, but that's okay.

www.kreacioneskity.blogspot.com

Hi... I'm a follower... can u return the favor? please... icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 9:33pm
post #22 of 39

I think that normal. People got to start somewhere right? Once someone discovers you, they will keep coming back. I'm off to check your blog.

jillmakescakes Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 9:41pm
post #23 of 39

i'm trying to become a follower on all of these blogs, but google is taking its sweet time uploading my pic.

On a side note, there is a link on my facebook page to vote for me to win a chance to be on a cover of a local wedding magazine....please take a moment and vote for me!!!

Thanks!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 9:43pm
post #24 of 39

Jill, I could not post a comment on your posts. I think it's because you have put the setting on differently. Isn't there a setting where anyone can post?

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 9:56pm
post #25 of 39

looks can be deceiving!!! just because you don't have comments doesn't mean you don't have an audience. try google analytics:

http://www.google.com/analytics/index.html

it's a really useful tool and you can see what kind of traffic you're getting. my blog has been up since july 2009. with analytics, i know that most of my search engine keyword hits come from "wilton mist spray review" and "house warming cake". i can see how many unique visitors i get from any time frame. i can see that i got hits from other sites that linked to me (which was a nice surprise!)

it's free! yay google!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 10:18pm
post #26 of 39

i'm following yall now! i love cake blogs! happy belated birthday, dalis4joe!

dalis4joe Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 11:11pm
post #27 of 39

thanks metria.....
off to check out ur blog!!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:32am
post #28 of 39

Jill, do you twitter? I haven't updated my blog in some time (got a few things going on around here, ya know!) but everytime I would add a new article, I'd post a note on Twitter something like "are fake cakes cheaper? Read this to see why the answer is NO!" then add a link to the blog. I didn't get comments on every blog, but did get quite a few.

If you twitter and hook up with a number of wedding planners and other bakers across the country, you can really increase your visibility. My blog has been quoted and re-printed in blogs from Fla to Calif.

icalise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icalise Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:47am
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

looks can be deceiving!!! just because you don't have comments doesn't mean you don't have an audience. try google analytics:

http://www.google.com/analytics/index.html

it's a really useful tool and you can see what kind of traffic you're getting. my blog has been up since july 2009. with analytics, i know that most of my search engine keyword hits come from "wilton mist spray review" and "house warming cake". i can see how many unique visitors i get from any time frame. i can see that i got hits from other sites that linked to me (which was a nice surprise!)

it's free! yay google!

Very Interesting - thanks - I'm going to try that. I have only had friends and family comment on mine too. I have it because I was told it would be good to have it and make things easier if I ever go into business!

jillmakescakes Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:15am
post #30 of 39

Ok, so many helpful things here! I love it.

I did find the setting for anyone to add comments.... so feel free to comment away!! thumbs_up.gif

I've been debating about Twitter. Right now I'm just trying to incorporate the Facebook and Blog. If I can keep a steady pace with those two, then I can add Twitter in. One new thing at a time is all my cake brain can handle sometimes icon_biggrin.gif

PS- here is the link for the contest that I"m in.... I'd love any votes you can throw my way. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%