Has Anyone Ever' Made A Strawberry

Decorating By Cakeasyoulikeit Updated 25 Feb 2005 , 1:29am by Susan94

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 21 Feb 2005 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 8

ever made strawberry sponge/shortcake for a customer? I've got an order for one and my concern is how do I prepare it a day ahead of time and not have it get all soggy?? Also, did you decorate it at all?? I don't think these people really care, but I would like it to look really nice.

Thanks in advance!
Angela

7 replies
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 22 Feb 2005 , 2:33am
post #2 of 8

Someone? Anyone?? Thanks!

kate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 8

I don't think you could do a true strawberry shortcake a day ahead without it being soggy. You might try sliced strawberries and stir them into a glaze and use that instead. When I do a real strawberry shortcake I mash strawberries and add sugar but it is so wet that it gets soggy in no time at all. The strawberries sliced in glaze would be fine overnight. I've done the whipped cream frosting that is just whipping cream and powdered sugar to taste whipped up and it's so good and holds up well overnight. You can't get as much detail when decorating with it as you can with buttercream. I have done swags and borders with it though. It has to be refrigerated. Watch it closely while whipping or you will have butter. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks kate. Do you have a good glaze recipe you can recommend? Do you have any idea of the ratio of whipping cream to sugar?

Thanks again!

kate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 8

Sorry, I don't have a glaze recipe. I bought the glaze premade from the store. When I worked at a bakery we used our strawberry filling and stirred sliced strawberries into it and that worked too. I made the whipped cream frosting in the 20 qt hobart at the bakery and used a half gallon carton with about a cup of powdered sugar. It really was powdered sugar to taste and I like mine sweet so you might want less powdered sugar. In a mixer at home I would think you could half that recipe or maybe quarter it depending on the size of your mixer bowl.

Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 24 Feb 2005 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks! Anyone else have any insight to share?? icon_smile.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 24 Feb 2005 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 8

I make a strawberry shortcake but I wasn't sure if it's similar to what you are looking for...l have a picture of it posted in my photos. If it looks like something you are interested in, just let me know! icon_biggrin.gif

Susan94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susan94 Posted 25 Feb 2005 , 1:29am
post #8 of 8

I made it as late as possible so that it wouldn't be too soggy and refrigerated it to firm up. Then I decorated/covered it with whip cream (I thickened it with piping gel and powdered sugar) and buttercream for the details and writing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%