Wilton Spray Colors In A Can?

Decorating By Luby Updated 14 Feb 2010 , 9:27pm by motherofgrace

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone tried these?

I don't have a airbrush because I just don't make enough cakes to justify the price (only for family and friends occasionally).

I need to make a Tinkerbell cake for my niece and the one I like has airbrushed color around the edges and I was hoping to use the ready made spray colors.

Does anyone have any first hand experience?

TIA icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 7

I've used them quite a bit, and they're pretty good. Gotta be careful though, sometimes they splatter. And several light coats is always better than one thick one. Hope that helps!

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 7

I used the Wilton spray cans for a couple of years before I got my airbrush system...I think they worked just fine. you can even mix the colors by layering for a different effect/shade.

Mom0971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom0971 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 7

I too have used them. Like the others have said several light layers work best. I have also found that the cake seems to have a bit of a aftertaste from the propellant in the spray. Anyone else notice this? Don't have the can too close to the cake or you will not get a good pattern more splotches. Let's just say I found out the hard way with this one. The fumes from the spray are a bit much so you might want to have a exhaust fan on or a small fan in the kitchen. Again I found this out the hard way. These do work great after you have played around with them a bit. Make sure you get enough for the size cake you are working on. These cans don't hold a lot so I ended up having to go to the store and get another can mid decorating. I was not a happy baker then. Grrrrrr. All in all it is a good product for those of us who don't yet have a airbrush. One day when I can afford to invest in one I will. Till then Wilton color in a can will do. icon_biggrin.gif
Hope this little novel helps.
Shelley

elliebuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliebuff Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 7

I have had good luck with them at home as well--and would say that all of the previous suggestions are about all I can offer...I try to start with fresh cans every time (not hard, since they don't hold too much) and do a practice shot or two on paper towels before I actually aim at the cake!

Another thing to be ready for...you will get a light dusting of the color around the area you spray. Unless you can completely block it off...which seems like more effort to me than it's worth.

Just a side note: I work very part time in a commercial bakery and use an airbrush machine there every time I work. IMO, the Wilton sprays are a great at-home alternative...I find I can get a very similar result.

Good luck with it!

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 7

I think they are CRAPTASTIC! But if you have to use in a pinch they will work.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 7

ok i had a friend use them, and she hated them, but i found out she put it way to close to the cupcake..... so I did them And i stood a good distance away, and they were great!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%