Cakes Are Not Getting As Many Favorites...

Decorating By candoo Updated 15 Feb 2010 , 12:15am by Sagebrush

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 1:57am
post #1 of 33

Has anyone else noticed this? The day's most favorite cake or 2 used to always have at least 150-200 favs. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I have also noticed that mine personally have been getting way less favs, it seems. And I'd like to think I'm not getting worse! LOL!! I really noticed this with the last cake I posted- it was a square version of a martini cake (the 1st one I did was round). To me, the square one looks better that the round one, but my round one has like 70 favs, and the one I just posted has none. icon_confused.gif I was just curious as to if anyone else had noticed this with the fav of the day, or with your own cakes.

32 replies
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 1:59am
post #2 of 33

It might just be my computer, but the new and most saved pictures aren't showing on the home page.

candoo Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 2:02am
post #3 of 33

Mine has also not been loading right off and on today...

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 2:38am
post #4 of 33

I'm still happy when I get 5 favs LOL

BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 2:40am
post #5 of 33

maybe people is actually saving more onto their desktop files than actually on cakecentral?

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 2:41am
post #6 of 33

I like to refer to my favs for inspiration but sometimes it takes so long to find the one I want. It would be nice if we could categorize the favs and our own photos too, sort of like they do the galleries. I would probably keep more favs if I could sort them, I must admit I sometimes delete them if I have already used it for inspiration.

gracefull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gracefull Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 2:45am
post #7 of 33

I have noticed this also. The only thing I can think of is they are being viewed and instead of being saved as favorites in Cake Central people are right clicking and saving them on their computer. I do this with cakes that I want to save in a file on mycomputer I've named "Cake Ideas".

candoo Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 2:45am
post #8 of 33

MACakes- I agree completely! I so wish there was a way to organize them!

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 2:52am
post #9 of 33

I think the other issue may be that there have gotten to be so many cakes on here that they (the pictures) either move a lot more quickly out of sight than they used to or the votes are just getting spread around more, if that makes any sense.

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:05am
post #10 of 33

eh -I just think some days you're on top and some you're not. Along with the other possibilities mentioned it's just a matter of who sees and is inspired by your cake. My last few cakes have topped the 100s in favs and I had/have to temper myself because I know that won't last. It's great when it happens but I know it won't every time. And that's a good thing for 'me' - it makes me push myself harder.

I saw your gallery and your work is AWESOME so, NO, you definitely aren't getting worse....it's just an off season maybe. It'll come back around to ya! Keep those cakes a comin'!

candoo Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:11am
post #11 of 33

Tellis- Yes- you make sense to me! LOL!
CakeDiosa- Thank you so much, but just for the record, I SAW YOUR GALLERY, AND I WANNA BE YOU WHEN I GROW UP!!!!! Your work is beyond amazing!!!!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:14am
post #12 of 33

I recently did my best cake yet and didn't get favored once! Kind of a let down, but oh well. I thought it was my best and that's what matters. I did get a few nice comments, which I appreciated. It was very detailed and complicated and took forever. I think that most people favorite something they plan to try some day. I know that's what I do. And most people don't want really labour intensive complicated stuff (at least not a guitar). Guitars are a dime a dozen - there's at least a couple showing up on here daily. But to me, mine was spectacular. Oh and I'm flattered anytime I'm favored!

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:36am
post #13 of 33

I have wondered the same thing at times, if maybe my work is getting worst instead of better because there have been cakes I have posted that I was really proud of that wouldn't even get noticed. But I sometimes have thought it is due to the amount of pictures getting posted that they are moving through quickly. But I am honored anytime one of my cakes are commented on or picked as a favorite. I do worry about my cake skills so I try to keep my insecurities in check icon_wink.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:39am
post #14 of 33

I think it depends on when you list it...

I've had cakes that I thought "wow this will get lots of attention" and maybe I load it during some "down time" when not many are online...then it just pushes right through without much notice. But then sometimes I must list at the right time and I get MORE attention on a particular cake than I'd expect.

If you post when most people aren't online looking OR you post when everyone else is posting (esp weekend cakes) then its likely your cake will zip through the "recently posted" and not as many people will notice it.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:42am
post #15 of 33

It also seems to be what day you load your pictures, I guess some days are busier than others, I can't imagine being able to even get to it on Thursday or Friday and then Saturday I'm just to pooped to look at the pictures posted.

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 4:25am
post #16 of 33

I always save my 'favorites' to my desktop so that when the internet is down (which happens in my area quite a bit) I can still access it for inspiration

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:14am
post #17 of 33

One other thing... I think photos being favorited is sort of a viral effect.

For instance, 1 person hitting favorite is enough to get it into the most saved of the day category, but pretty far towards the end, so anyone that's just searching through that category and not the most recent photos category only ends up seeing it if they have a lot of time to go through the whole list.

If a second person saves it, it gets bumped up to about half way through the list, so people who have a medium amount of time to search through the favorite of the day category will now get to see it, too.

The more favorites you get, the more people are going to see it as they scroll through the favorites category, because it is closer to the front of the list, and therefore the more chance you'll have of yet another person adding it to their favorites. Once it gets into the top 5, almost everyone who opens the home page at all will see it, and therefore you have the most chance of getting additional favorites.

HTH

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 6:55am
post #18 of 33

I know that I don't save to favorites unless it's a cake I plan on using as inspiration for a project I have planned. If not then I will comment if I think it's great but not add it to favs. I think sometimes the cake can be over the top great but just beyond the ability of most of the cakers on here so it doesn't get saved but the easier to replicate cakes sometimes get tons of favs because they are easier to copy or to use as inspiration. I wish I got more comments but there you have it too that if a cake gets a comment that seems to follow everyones thoughts then people wont' post the same comment over and over again but let the one stand. I pay more attention to how many times my work is viewed instead.

Cat

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 2:26pm
post #19 of 33

When I first joined CC I thought the homepage cakes changed a lot quicker then they do now.

All weekend when I sign on I see the same 5 or 6 cakes in the most saved category. Don't get me wrong, they're nice cakes, but I'm kind of tired of seeing them lol! They aren't moving and they don't have many "fav's" either.

Maybe it's a glitch with the system. I think when they moved/changed more often we got to see a lot more cakes, therefor we were more apt to save them into our favorites.

candoo Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:22pm
post #20 of 33

sagebrush- you are so right!
Deb- I couldn't agree more!

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 8:19pm
post #21 of 33

The thing that perterbs me about the home page (i.e. the most saved and recently uploaded thumbnails) is that if I see a pic that I want to view, I have to start back at the beginning of the list again when I hit the back button! Unless I have a lot of time to spend looking (which I usually don't) I rarely make it to the end of either category!! I wish there was a more viewer-friendly way to post the thumbnails on the home page.

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 8:33pm
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones5cm

The thing that perterbs me about the home page (i.e. the most saved and recently uploaded thumbnails) is that if I see a pic that I want to view, I have to start back at the beginning of the list again when I hit the back button! Unless I have a lot of time to spend looking (which I usually don't) I rarely make it to the end of either category!! I wish there was a more viewer-friendly way to post the thumbnails on the home page.

If you right click on the photo, you can then open it in a new window. After viewing, close that window and you are still at the same spot on the home page. thumbs_up.gif

candoo Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 8:38pm
post #23 of 33

Mme_K- thanks! I'll have to try that, b/c I have the same complaint as jones!

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 8:48pm
post #24 of 33

I personally have started saving to my computer rather than to the CC favorites as well. I've been more wary ever since that glitch of a few months ago when all the photos were gone for a few days. I needed badly to see something and they weren't there! Now I can be sure that I'll have access when I need it if that ever happens again...

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 8:57pm
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mme_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones5cm

If you right click on the photo, you can then open it in a new window. After viewing, close that window and you are still at the same spot on the home page. thumbs_up.gif

True, and I do try, and even prefer, to do it that way... but, if I forget when I'm half way through the list and hit the left button instead of the right one I still have to start over at the beginning.

And, if I'm on the laptop (which is a Mac), I have no right button at all, and have to have two fingers on the trackpad when I click the button for it to open the drop down menu so that I can then choose to open the link in a new tab. It's a lot more effort than when I'm on the desktop pc, and if I have my wrist tipped a little more to the side than usual, it doesn't register the second finger, opens the link in the current tab, and I still have to start over again at the beginning.

In addition, if I'm on my iphone, opening the pictures in a new tab doesn't work at all. Yes, I can open the link in a new tab, but when I then close the new tab and go back to the original page, it always reloads the home page and I have to start all over again.

If we could have separate pages for the most saved photos of the day and the newest photos (in addition to the way they are currently displayed), it would save me and, based on all the posts by others asking for this feature, a lot of other people a lot of effort and frustration.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 8:59pm
post #26 of 33

So to save to my computer I just right click the photo and click on save?

Sorry for the rookie question....can I do this with the recipes here too? I've had that happen where I need a recipe and I can't get on-line

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 9:15pm
post #27 of 33

Thanks Sagebrush!! that'll work! this is one of those head slapping moments! Now I just have to work on breaking my 'back-button' habit!!

malakainrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malakainrop Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 9:26pm
post #28 of 33

I think it is much better NOT to have a picture sitting in front of you!

You are more likely to produce your own work and at least end up with an original idea. Sometimes you just need to look at pics to gain your "inspiration" and then go off and do your own version.
You may find that what you create might even be better than the one you are aiming to copy. Just takes a little courage to do it first - it gets easier every time!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 9:34pm
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdebssweetsj

I'm still happy when I get 5 favs LOL

icon_lol.gif Me too! BTW your cakes are awesome. I have so many of yours saved in my favs.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 9:44pm
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

Sorry for the rookie question....can I do this with the recipes here too? I've had that happen where I need a recipe and I can't get on-line

Deb_ I have a file on my computer for recipes, also. I copy and paste the text of the recipe, and save it in a word document. icon_smile.gif
Hope that helps!!! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%