100% Edible Supports For Tiers???

Decorating By scratchdog Updated 11 Apr 2010 , 11:44pm by cownsj

scratchdog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scratchdog Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:43pm
post #31 of 39

ok new friends, it is crunch time. The cub scout 100% edible cake is due Sunday. My son is so set on winning this competition. He did not win the wooden car race him and his dad did so he is looking to him mom for a win. I still have not developed a full concept in my head. His idea is that he wants the statue of liberty on top. I ordered the mold she is tiny, well her base is about 2 1/2 inches and she is about 2 1/2 inches. Originally we thought of setting her on RKT as her full base, cover that in fondant to look like concrete then just make a half sheet to look like the grass he can ice that green and then get piping gel color that blue to look like the water around the idea. I don't know, it just doesn't seem grand to me (plus I kind of wanted to see if I could stack a cake with edible items, I know why do that to myself but...?) Any ideas other then this? just seems a little ho hum to me. Also should I use dark chocolate to pour into the statue of liberty mold but what should I dust her with? Help!!!! Thanks

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:18pm
post #32 of 39

Since the statue has a green patina color to her, why not use candy melts and color it a light green then go back and highlight with darker chocolate with a brush for the details. Also if you want the lady to be grander - you could model her out of rice cripsie and coat with chocolate. You base could still be the cake with the water etc. You can make the RKT really dense by crushing them before adding MM so she would be a pretty solid structure without any need for supports. Just put her all the way to your board (chocolate or RKT) and cut the cake and put it around the statue that way it does not sit "on" the cake. I would put boats in the water around the statue sort of like a sailboat regatta - lots of colors and sails - use pretzel sticks for masts. HTH

scratchdog Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:46am
post #33 of 39

thank you everyone for your posts. The cake is done and posted!!!!!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:55am
post #34 of 39

Excellent, Excellent job. This came out sooo much better than I ever envisioned it. And celery sticks eh? I would not have thought to use those. He should be so proud of this cake. I am very impressed. And how did he do in the competition?

scratchdog Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:58am
post #35 of 39

well after all we went through planning this all they did was stick a certificate under the cake for most original. He was proud so it was worth it. Next year I think I will cover a sheet cake with white fondant and put out some colors and let him paint it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

cownsj Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:01am
post #36 of 39

Hey, he's proud of it, and he got a certificate. He more than earned it. You more than earned it. But I'm so happy for him. And the cake just came out so good.

scratchdog Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:03am
post #37 of 39

thank you we were proud. he was so cute rolling out the fondant.

scratchdog Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 11:20pm
post #38 of 39

Hi, I posted the 100% edible cake and wondered what you guys thought. Instead of dowels I used celery sticks. I appreciate everyone's ideas. Thanks again.

cownsj Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 11:44pm
post #39 of 39

You already know how I feel. I went back to get another look and still feel the same way. I still can't believe that the celery sticks worked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%