Gumpaste? Pastillage? Fondant? Fondant With Tylose?

Decorating By MyDiwa Updated 12 Feb 2010 , 11:44pm by tesso

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 7

I haven't done a lot of decorations other than flowers and fondant stuff you stick onto the cake. I have ideas of stuff I'd like to try but have no basis of knowing which medium to use for what. Can anybody help please?

6 replies
flourbud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourbud Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 7

HI: Even though I've done all the Wilton classes, I'm still unclear on when to use fondant, when to do gumpaste and when to add tylose, etc. Can someone give us a tip?

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 7

I am pretty new too and went to my firt Wilton GP and Fondant Class last night, and I had the same question, the instructor said to use Gum Tex which I think is the same as tylose, to make the fondant hard and hold it's shape..that's all I learned..hopefully someone else can share more with us....

And, where do we buy tylose? is it more cost effective to make your own GP ?

Anna

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 7

Straight fondant can be used for decorations that lay against the surface of the cake (can be used for other decorations just all by itself, it's more prone to going limp in humid conditions).

Straight gumpaste will allow you to make upright decorations that dry quickly and are less susceptible to humidity once they're completely dry. It can be rolled thinner than straight fondant for more light and realistic looking flowers. Holds up well AFTER allowing to completely dry.

Fondant with tylose added will give you the workability of gumpaste without having to buy gumpaste (added benefit to this is if you want to match the decorations to your fondant covered cake exactly)

Pastillage dries faster than gumpaste and is used when strength is needed for upright structures. Often rolled thicker than gumpaste or fondant, it can also be used, if completely dried, as support pieces for other decorations. Almost indestructable AFTER allowing to completely dry(because it's rolled thicker, it takes quite a bit longer to completely dry...so, plan weeeeeeeell ahead if using pastillage for best results and less heartache)

I like using a combination of fondant and gumpaste...no exact ratio....for all decorations that have dimension...flowers, figures, numbers...
and straight fondant for decorations that are flat on the cake surface...whether the cake is iced in buttercream or fondant.

google each one(if you haven't already)and look at the images ...you'll be able to see how each one was used

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 7

When I am working with just a flat piece of fondant, like a star, I use straight fondant, rolled fairly thin.

When modeling with fondant I normally use 1 tsp tylose powder kneaded into 1lb. of fondant. When I first started modeling I used straight fondant and it worked, however it is much softer and would lose it's shape easily. I have also used straight gumpaste, but found it dried quickly and I had alot more trouble with it cracking.

I think it's good to experiment and see what works best for you. Everyone works differently and at different speeds. Be careful if you start modeling. It's addictive! icon_smile.gif

flourbud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourbud Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 7

THANKS, that's exactly the info I needed to know. I'll start experimenting now on which I prefer. Can always count on you experts!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 7

i bought my tylose at the liquor store in the Home Brew section. (dont know why it was there, but it was) Also brought tartaric acid there too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%