Cake Decorating Birthday Parties

Business By Mac Updated 7 Sep 2005 , 7:31pm by nanni

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 27 Aug 2005 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 9

I do children's birthday parties at a Kitchen and Cooking store. Each child gets their own 6" cake and I "teach" them how to make shell trims and roses from BC and some from candy clay. The store charges $15.00 a child. I provide the cakes and frosting (leftover frosting has to be thrown away) and the boxes for the kids to take home. I have bought all my own items that they use (disp. bags, couplers and tips). I need to know if I should charge the store a flat fee of $10.00 per child or a flat fee for up to 12 children and then another fee for anything over 12 children? They had started paying me 1/2 of the total of the party plus my expenses before they got their computer program for accounting, but now the computer figures the price of the party (ex: 10 children @ $15.00 = $150)
less the expenses (ex: $25), and then adds my expenses back to my side of fees.
So when figured, I am only getting reimbursed for 1/2 of my expenses. They only provide the space. I have my own helper and we clean and wash up anything of theirs that we use.
Please let me know what you would do or charge. I enjoy doing this but it does take 2 hours for the party not adding in my time for preparing for it. Also the party practices on a 1/4 sheet cake and they cut this for the refreshments.

Hopefully in about 8 months, I will have my own place to do the parties.Sorry so long.

8 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 9

I would say that you should be charging more...how much more, I have no idea. However, since you are planning on opening your own place shortly, you may want to just leave things as they are for now! This sounds like a great way to get free advertisement for you and get the word out. You can always adjust your prices when you open your own place!

Mac Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 5:40am
post #3 of 9

THanks for the reply. I think I will wait. I do have another party this evening. Won't have any for a while then 2-3 in one week. I really enjoy the kids, tho. The parents try to get them to do their cakes like I do (same decorations) but I really enjoy seeing their creativity. One dad kept trying to put a rose on his son's cake and he kept pushing dad away. He had a pile of frosting in every color on the top of his cake and that's the way he wanted it.

betycrker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
betycrker Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 1:06am
post #4 of 9

definitely charge more. the time to make the cakes and icing alone needs to be paid for. not to mention the class time that you give. In my area fees can be much higher for childrens decorating parties. Use your time at this shop as an opportunity to build your reputation

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 1:17am
post #5 of 9

I think I would leave it the same for now knowing you are going to open your own shop soon. Then I would charge what the facility you are at now charges-you will make it up then. In the mean time it is advertising and getting your name out will only help you-if you raise it they may cut you out of it before you are ready and get someone else to do it...that's not a chance I would want to take this late in the game. Do you save YOUR icing from cakes to use on the party cakes? I know you have to dispose of the party icing-especially since so many little hands are in it-but when you do a cake personally do you save the leftover icing to use for the party ones? That might help cut down a bit (even just a tiny bit) having to make more icing....

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 1:52am
post #6 of 9

i agree with MrsMissey and nanni i would wait until i opened my own store

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 2:31am
post #7 of 9

Dear Mac.....

If you're going to leave anyway...why not try to get what you deserve in the meantime? The worst thing they can say is no. Put it in black and white and present it to the owner. They will make money either way. I am sure if they had an alternative that would be more lucrative to them, they would tell you. It won't hurt to discuss it.

On another note....I think these parties are fantastic ideas. Recently, a "cupcake" bakery opened up nearby and they advertise children's parties. Their cupcakes are nothing special. As a matter of fact, I treated my kids last week and brought them there (the shop is very cute) but both kids (6 and 3) took 1 or 2 bites and then said they didn't like the cupcakes! So I think my neighborhood, which is busting at the seams with children, needs a cake decorating business. Hopefully that will be me!

Sorry to get off the topic...but don't sell yourself short!

Mac Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 3:52am
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the input, guys. They did reset their accounting program sho that I am definitely paid 100% of supplies and exact half of party (not profit).

On the other note, I have a young assistant that fills all my bags and smaller bowls with my frosting so that no hands get into the main bowl of frosting. Then I divvy it up into smaller containers to freeze until next party.

Last party I did, the girls got a little wild and the owners said they found frosting in the cabinet--way up high. Still haven't figured that one out. LOL

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 7:31pm
post #9 of 9

MAC-tell the owners you won't charge extra for the icing that is left behind-if they want a "treat" they can have it on youLOL!! Funny how things wind up in the oddest places when kids are around.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%