Need Help With A Sheet Cake ??? ...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 11 Feb 2010 , 2:03pm by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all!

This weekend is going to be my first attempt at a sheet cake. I am scared for my life !!!! =)

I bought a 10" x 15" x 2" Magic Line pan. Can you please tell me about how many cups of batter can I expect to fill this pan with. I normally bake at 325 degrees. Is that going to be ok with a sheet? Also, how long will this take to cook you think?

Tips, thoughts appreciated...

=)

2 replies
wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 1:52pm
post #2 of 3

ahhh perfectly squared corner pans.....

Tips:
- put an upside down flower nail in the pan
- I like bake release
- put parchment at the bottom of the pan (grease that too), you can stick your nail up through middle of the paper
- Batter amount for an 11" x 15" is 11 cups for 1 layer pans can be filled 1/2 to 3/4 full so your 10 x 15 should be fine
- bake at 325 degrees for approx 35 - 40 minutes (start watching it at 40 min
- this is going to be an overall approximated average but it will take 8 cups of icing to ice and decorate
- this is a great size for a nice big book cake
- I use bake even strips (depending on the type of cake) some of mine do better without the strips if I am carving cakes)
- if the cake has a mound on the top - when it comes right out of the oven press lightly/evenly on the top with clean tea towel till level

this link says differently for baking time so better to start watching it at 40 min:
http://cakecentral.com/articles/75/cake-baking-cutting-serving-guide-3-in-deep-pans

- so you dont have to tort your cake just bake thinner layers (saves a world of grief sometimes)

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 3

Those are some great tips!

Thank you so much!!

I LOVE this site....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%