Adding Strawberrys To Bc

Baking By kandyc10 Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 5:33pm by cricket0616

kandyc10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandyc10 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 6

I need a strawberry filling, would like to just add strawberrys to my buttercream, I think. Using the preserves does not sound appetizing, and I do not want the filling to be too sweet. That's why I thought my best route would be to just add strawberrys.

1. I am not sure if I need to use fresh or could I use frozen?

2. I will fill and ice the cake on Thursday, put in the fridge until Friday when I will cover and stack. It needs to be ready on Saturday. Will the fresh/frozen strawberrys be ok in the cake from Thursday to Saturday?

If someone has a better option please let me know, all input is welcome.

I am covering in fondant so it will not be in the fridge after Friday.

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

5 replies
BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 6

I haven't mixed them in buttercream yet but I have placed them on top as a filling. I put cream cheese bc then layered sliced fresh strawberries on top of that, then put the next layer of cake on. It was fine room temp and tasted yummy. HTH

kandyc10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandyc10 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 6

I thought of that at first but the birthday boy is 1yr. old. Maybe I could just flavor the bc w/preserves for his smash cake and make the other w/the sliced strawberrys.
Thanks for your help.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 6

Sliced strawberries will go bad quickly, so you would need to keep the cake in the fridge.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 6

I haven't tried strawberries on the buttercream, but I have used this recipe quite a few times. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7612/chunky-strawberry-filling
You'd think it would be really sweet, but to me and my family, it's not. I think the buttercream is the sweetest thing on the cake. When I eat cake with this filling, I sometimes think I'm eating fresh strawberries. You should try it. It's very yummy!

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 6

I have added strawberries to buttercream before and have used both fresh and frozen(defrosted of course). I mash the strawberries and sprinkled about a TBLS of sugar over the top and allowed them to sit for about a half hour. Since the strawberries will produce a juice, I added strawberries as my liquid (instead of milk or water). If it is too thick, then go back to your recipe and add milk or water.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%