Scraper Blade For Kitchen Aid

Decorating By Henna20 Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 3:05am by Jopalis

Henna20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Henna20 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 31

I've decided to time to buy myself a present! I would like to get those blade attachments for kitchen aid that has the rubber on it so you don't need to scrape the bowl. (not sure what the correct term for that is)
I know there are a few different ones so which one is the best???
thanks!

30 replies
WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 31

I have purchased the beater blade and LOVED it except for a MAJOR problem.....it broke...TWICE! Both times I noticed a crack in the plastic where it connects to the mixer, and finally it broke into pieces while I was using the mixer. The first time I contacted the company and they sent me a replacement, but it only took a few months for it to do the same thing. It really stinks because this product is AWESOME, and going back to the original KA beater is a drag. I do use my mixer a lot, but I am pretty careful with the attachments, so I really don't think it was anything on my part that contributed to the beater blades breaking. There is definitely a major design flaw and at almost $30 a piece...not really worth it if it's only going to get a few months use before it breaks.

I did see that KA (I believe it's KA?) has a similar type beater, but I read reviews that it had problems with the little rubber scrapers coming off.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 31

There are two that I know of. One is BeaterBlade and the other is SideSwipe. Both are similar with silicone along the paddle edge. BeaterBlade has one continuous silicone strip. SideSwipe has a series of angled silicone strips. Both are around $25. I have the BeaterBlade and love it, that was the only one I could find locally without ordering it. America's Test Kitchen preferred the SideSwipe cause the series of silicone blades helped push the batter down in the bowl in addition to scraping and didn't leave smears. I haven't found that my beater blade leaves smears though. Beater blade seems to be more commonly talked about on the cake sites. Not sure if that is cause it is better marketed, more available or a better product though.

threeforhim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threeforhim Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 31

I have one. I got it at a kitchen store at a Tanger Outlet Mall. It was around $25. It looks just like the one on the link from the other poster. I have the small tilt head KA. The blade is plastic so when I got it I wasn't sure, but it is all I use now. It has worked very well. After I use it I pop it into the dishwasher and it's good to go. I probably should start taking it out before the dry cycle so that the rubber part will last longer (?) but so far it's been great.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 31

I have the sideswipe blade and love it. So far I haven't had any problems with it. http://www.sideswipeblade.com/

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 31

A friend got me one of these for Christmas last year and I LOVE it! It's the only paddle I use in my KA. Mine is like the BeaterBlade...full rubber on both sides of the paddle. I could never go back to the old metal paddle after having this!

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:09pm
post #8 of 31

I got a sideswipe at Christmas. I love it! I think you see less of the sideswipe because it is newer than the beaterblade. The angled rubber blades on the sideswipe do help with the mixing process. I just love how it mixes cake batter and icing.

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:39pm
post #9 of 31

you women get me all excited and i end up spending money... now off to google both of these blades - which to choose!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:57pm
post #10 of 31

The link for the sideswipe is in my previous post.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:33pm
post #11 of 31

I have a KA 6 quart Pro and I love the BeaterBlade.

I gently move the bowl of the mixer up and down during the mixing process and the sides get clean as a whistle.

No more stopping to scrape it down! Best $25 I've ever spent, I think.

Rae

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:57pm
post #12 of 31

Oh my gosh, just when I thought I was really up to date--here comes the sideswipe. I have the beater blade on my KA and really love it. I just wish I could have seen a comparison of the Sideswipe to the Beater blade. It makes me want one but I have to remind myself that I am trying to save for an air brush and an Agbay. It really sounds great, though.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 11:08pm
post #13 of 31

I have to say I love my beaterblade as well! Greatest invention for the KA.

Mrs-A Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 11:17pm
post #14 of 31

ugghhh - amazon wont ship to me due to warranty issues and they dont sell direct outside of the US by the looks of it

but, i have a co-worker going to the US next week (i work for a US company) so as i wont have to pay shipping, i might ask her to buy both the beaterblad and the sidewipe and bring them back for me to play with

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 12:34am
post #15 of 31

I got a Beater Blade for Christmas for my old KA 5 qt lift bowl mixer and I too LOVE it. I did follow the directions and adjusted my bowl for proper contact - but it scrapes the bowl better than I do. I've done both cake batter and buttercream with it.

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 12:44am
post #16 of 31

I LOVE mine as well! I won't use the KA without it now!

I bought mine at Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon, but also saw them at Sur La Table and ACE Hardware (yeah, you read that right! icon_smile.gif )

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 12:47am
post #17 of 31

Ohh, I didn't know Bed bath and beyond was carrying them now. Will have to see if they carry it around here and tell a few friends!

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 1:04am
post #18 of 31

Question...

What do you use it for? Is it only sturdy enough for cake batter, or would you use it for making something like marshmallow fondant?

milkmaid42 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:29am
post #19 of 31

I have used mine only for cake, butter cream, and cookie dough. I haven't dared use it for fondant, that is when I use the regular flat blade. I am interested in hearing if anyone does use it for the heavy duty fondant requires.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:36am
post #20 of 31

I got the beater blade pro (yellow) for christmas and I love it also! Not having to stop to scrape the bowl is awesome! I got the pro one because I read on here where some had a problem with cracking so I thought the pro one might be a bit more sturdy. So far no probs.

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:51am
post #21 of 31

LOVE LOVE LOVE my Beater Blades! I loved the one for my KA so much that when I ordered my second KA, I ordered second Beater Blade the same day. I just knew I couldn't use a mixer without one ever again icon_smile.gif

chikadodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikadodle Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:01am
post #22 of 31

I have several Beater Blades and I absolutely love them! The first one I bought about a year ago (for a 5qt) and it broke along the neck -- big crack all along the top where it meets the mixer. Well, I emailed the company and told them about the problem and they promptly replaced it. I returned the broken one for the company to look at and possibly improve. Well, they definitely improved it! The good people at Beater Blade also sent me two more blades -- an improved version of the original as well as a "pro" model. At my bakery, we now have 4 Beater Blades and we never use the original KA paddles anymore. Great product and great customer service. Beater Blade is highly recommended! (And no, I don't work for them!)

Mrs-A Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:11am
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

I got the beater blade pro (yellow) for christmas and I love it also! Not having to stop to scrape the bowl is awesome! I got the pro one because I read on here where some had a problem with cracking so I thought the pro one might be a bit more sturdy. So far no probs.

will the pro beaterblade fit the standard artisan tilt KA? thanks

chikadodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikadodle Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:17am
post #24 of 31

I think you can get them for the tilt-head mixers now.

(Also, I see you're in Sydney. Lucky! I lived in Balmain for a few years and miss it desperately.)

AngelaM Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 1:02pm
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-A

will the pro beaterblade fit the standard artisan tilt KA? thanks

No, there is one for all KA tilt-head models and another one for all KA bowl-lift models.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:35pm
post #26 of 31

I wouldn't use the beaterblade or the sideswipe for making fondant. I use my dough hook for that big job. I'm pretty sure it would break the others.

milkmaid42 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:01pm
post #27 of 31

I agree with you, Tastyart. That is what I use, too. I couldn't really imagine using the beater blade for that tough a job. But I certainly do love my beater blade for everything else.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:17pm
post #28 of 31

THE BEST 25 BUCKS I EVER SPENT... I NEVER scrape my kitchen aid.... it is awesome, the best and I have used it for the 2+ years since I bought it and has not tear, rip, broke or anything... I want another one, but just because I want to get the pink one hehehe.. I didn't know about the other one... gonna check it out NOW!

AngelaM Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:14pm
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyart

I wouldn't use the beaterblade or the sideswipe for making fondant. I use my dough hook for that big job. I'm pretty sure it would break the others.

No you definitely wouldn't use it for fondant. Sorry if that was unclear, I thought it went without saying.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:33pm
post #30 of 31

I love my beater blade. I do use it for fondant but I only add 5 cups of ps. The rest of the ps is kneaded in by hand. Works well and doesn't take too long to knead in the rest.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%