Is It Possible To Make Buttercream Icing Look Pleated?

Decorating By momcake101 Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 5:35pm by jammjenks

momcake101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momcake101 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:25pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making my friend's son's grooms cake. I would like to make the sides of the cake look pleated. The cake will have square layers, chocolate buttercream icing, nice borders, and cherries dipped in chocolate on top. Is it possible to make the sides look pleated with buttercream. Thanks for any suggestions?

7 replies
mandy79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandy79 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 8

I tried it once, but you need pretty steady hands. I took a large petal tip, like a #126 or #127, started at the center of the cake and moved outwards to the bottom, and with each "pleat" I overlapped a bit. The only problem is if you are doing it on the top tier you will probably need a topper to cover the center, where all the pleats originated.
I hope this helps

momcake101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momcake101 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks so much! I will definitely try this! The cherries will be the topper on the top layer. I appreciate your quick reply!

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 8

That sounds really cool, mandy79....do you have a pic of that? Would love to see it! icon_smile.gif

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 8

Add enough sugar to your BC to get it wot where you can work it with your hands a bit. Then you can pat it out flat, pleat it and apply it to the cake. Similar to rolled buttercream only not. Really VERY easy! I've made bows with BC like that.

mandy79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandy79 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 8

Unfortunately I dont have a picture of it...got deleted from my camera!!! but give it a try. The other poster also had a good point. I have heard of "rolled buttercream" which can be handled like fondant..so that may also be an option.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsonblackvelvet13

Add enough sugar to your BC to get it wot where you can work it with your hands a bit. Then you can pat it out flat, pleat it and apply it to the cake. Similar to rolled buttercream only not. Really VERY easy! I've made bows with BC like that.

Sorry to hijack just wanted to say I LOVE your siggy line..it really gave me a chuckle.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 5:35pm
post #8 of 8

I did the "curtains" on these cakes using a flat tip and overlapping. Would something like this work?
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%