I'm Devastated

Lounge By MACakes Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 3:13am by MACakes

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:24am
post #1 of 34

I came home from work to find my Cuisinart on the floor. My new puppy pulled it and a lot of my tools off my bakers rack. The Cuisinart mixer is busted and about 1/3 of my tools were chewed up. icon_cry.gif

I just can't believe it. I didn't think he could even reach that high on the shelves. Oh it just sickens me to have to spend that money all over again. icon_confused.gif

33 replies
kikibakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikibakes Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:33am
post #2 of 34

oh no! so sorry to hear that!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:39am
post #3 of 34

is the puppy okay, I sure hope so. He could have been smashed poor little thing.

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:47am
post #4 of 34

icon_sad.gif Poor you. Did your pup look at you with those big sorry eyes though? (or are you not just feeling the love just yet?). That sucks for you.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:50am
post #5 of 34

wow, I got rid of our cats after they knocked my gingerbead house off the table

(it was this exact one!) http://sweetheartconfections.blogspot.com/2009/12/its-snoopy-christmas.html

MACakes Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:51am
post #6 of 34

Well he is a pup, only 7 mths old but he's a monster at almost 75 lbs (choc lab)! And yes he did look at me with those puppy eyes, but I'm still pretty sore at him. He's in the proverbial dog house at least until bed time. icon_rolleyes.gif

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:51am
post #7 of 34

ugh...I am so sorry to hear this. It reminds me of when I got the new lab puppy and I left him in the house for a few hours unattended. When I came back in he had ripped up the carpet from the front entry way all the way to the kitchen. It was a horrible sight and I was so mad.
I can kind of look back now and laugh...kind of.... icon_wink.gif

my point is ...maybe someday this will make you laugh?
hugs

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:52am
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

is the puppy okay, I sure hope so. He could have been smashed poor little thing.

Oh goodness, so sorry about that. I wondered the same thing - is puppy OK? I have to ask - I'm a dog person!

What kinds of things do you need to replace? Maybe some of us on CC have duplicates we could part with at a discounted rate so it won't hurt so bad replacing some of your tools.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:59am
post #9 of 34

My husband adopted a dog once, and the first time we left her home alone, she ate all of my kitchen utensils, one shoe from every pair that I owned, and peed on my side of the bed. (Then I knew why someone had taken such a lovely purebreed to animal control, which my husband hadn't been able to understand.) I found her a home with a yard.

Anyhow, I was planning to get a lab puppy after I move. Now I'm wondering if they're too much to handle...but I don't work so I guess if I was only gone for an hour or two at a time, the pup could stay in a crate. I don't know much about dogs, would that work?

MACakes Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:08am
post #10 of 34

Thanks for asking, he is just fine.

I appreciate your offer of seeing if anyone has duplicate items that they might be willing to sell. I will have to sit down on the weekend and take stock of what I have and what he ruined.

It's really the Cuisinart that bothers me. I was ready to put in an order for the new Cricut cake cutter but I guess that will have to be put on hold, or I will have to work a lot of over time to pay for it all. I just have to have my mixer, I have orders for the next few weeks!!

newmansmom2004 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:11am
post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Anyhow, I was planning to get a lab puppy after I move. Now I'm wondering if they're too much to handle...but I don't work so I guess if I was only gone for an hour or two at a time, the pup could stay in a crate. I don't know much about dogs, would that work?

If you want to e-mail me privately I'll be happy to talk to you about getting a new puppy! [email protected]

newmansmom2004 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:13am
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyladybaker

ugh...I am so sorry to hear this. It reminds me of when I got the new lab puppy and I left him in the house for a few hours unattended. When I came back in he had ripped up the carpet from the front entry way all the way to the kitchen. It was a horrible sight and I was so mad. I can kind of look back now and laugh...kind of.... icon_wink.gif

my point is ...maybe someday this will make you laugh?
hugs

Your dog must have been related to one of our springers who did the same thing - about 3 days after we moved into a brand new house!!! And yeah, it HAD to be in the front entryway right into the living room! icon_cry.gif

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:18am
post #13 of 34

So sorry this happened.

Any chance your home owner's insurance might cover this? Might be not worth it if you have a deductible, but could be worth thinking about, since the Cuisinart is pretty expensive. If it is a business loss, your business insurance might cover it or maybe you can declare as a loss on your tax return.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:19am
post #14 of 34

I just adopted a new kitty, she's about 5 months old now. The other night I was sitting up in my loft working on some gumpaste roses. She was up there with me checking things out. (these roses were just for learning, they weren't for a cake or anything. If they were I would have locked myself in a kitty free part of the house!) While I'm watching and pausing Edna's rose tutorial and carefully trying to adjust the petals so they are closed around the bud, my kitty comes flying in from nowhere and lands right in the middle of my workstation.

She learned a few new words that night, but it still hasn't stopped her from checking out places she's not supposed to be! I heard leaving strips of tape sticky side up is a good deterrent.

The joys of pet ownership, right???? Hubby keeps saying it's just good practice for when we start having kids.

princelyess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princelyess Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:19am
post #15 of 34

Soooo sorry!!! I have Springers (well down to one now, and he's 12), and if he didn't have a crate, I'd be completely bonkers. My dogs have all destroyed on thing or another . . . or two or three. One of my puppies absolutely loved my younger daughter's shoes, no one else's though!! I lost count of how many pairs she chewed. BTW, he was in a crate from puppyhood (I bred him), and he loves his crate . . . er bedroom. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:29am
post #16 of 34

thats why one day im getting a pug dog.. it will need a trampoline to cause that amount of damage!

im so sorry you came home to that... can your home owners insurance cover it? hopefully there will be alot of coupon deals happening to help you replace your items

MACakes Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:30am
post #17 of 34

Yup, I kick myself for not crating him right from the start. But good news is we are going to obedience school! I am dragging the whole family out so we all learn the ropes and keep house and puppy safe.

Ah, the life lessons we learn. icon_razz.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:34am
post #18 of 34

Lab puppies are notorious for getting into trouble when left alone. Try kongs (sp?) stuffed with Peanut butter and little dog treats hidden around the house while you are gone. that will help keep him busy for a while. baby proof your house for a 5 foot tall person because he can reach everything on his hind legs. I hate crate training for all day but for a couple hours while you are busy is not too bad.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:41am
post #19 of 34

I can't imagine NOT having a dog. Have always had one (or more) and I have always crate trained them. ...no it is not cruel. My dog loves his crate. It has been his "house" since he was a pup. He is now 7 and spends many hours each day napping in his "house" with the door open. It's his special place. When I have to go out, he knows and runs into his crate. I've never had a mishap while I've been away.

Having said that, I'm so sorry for your disaster. Maybe you can still crate train your pup. It's such peace of mind when you are not home.

MACakes Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:46am
post #20 of 34

I am definitely going to do some research about crating options. My only issue is that we have a 6 yr old dog too who is very good natured and is not crated. Puppy gets uptight if he is in his crate and the older dog gets to wander the house. I have tried introducing him to the crate but it's a slow process.

I like the hiding kongs around the house, that would keep him busy in a good way.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:52am
post #21 of 34

Our "puppy" is a choc lab and 7 months old too. Super huge dog so I understand. He's banned from my personal areas. He's already chewed through several pairs of shoes...toys...the floorboard on the wall! I understand your pain!

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:55am
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Lab puppies are notorious for getting into trouble when left alone.

When we left our lab puppy at home she chewed all the knobs off our kitchen appliances, and chewed a hole completely THROUGH the door leading out to the garage!

Our vet told us that a lab is the greatest DOG you'll ever have, but the worst PUPPY you'll ever have.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:02am
post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

You're nicer than I am. I'd banish the mutt outside for good if that happened to me. I'd hope it knocked him on the noggen a good one just to teach him a lesson.

I am sorry about your broken stuff. I'd be devastated, too.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:08am
post #24 of 34

So sorry to hear about the damage to your things. Life with critters is interesting (and expensive) sometimes. Hoping that tomorrow is a better day!

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:43am
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

You're nicer than I am. I'd banish the mutt outside for good if that happened to me. I'd hope it knocked him on the noggen a good one just to teach him a lesson.

I am sorry about your broken stuff. I'd be devastated, too.

I hope you don't have any pets!
icon_surprised.gif

While I would be pretty upset about the damage, I would mainly be upset with myself for not anticipating and avoiding the problem. I don't see being angry with or wishing harm to an innocent creature for doing what comes naturally.

I think a more appropriate reaction is to evaluate whether there are things that can be done to prevent a repeat, without exiling the dog to the outdoors. Some examples include gates across doorways where the dog isn't allowed, obedience training, crating when nobody will be home, etc.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:55am
post #26 of 34

I agree with you redpanda. I learned the hard way with my first lab puppy, she peed in my bed (yes I thought she could sleep with me as a puppy, DOH) and the next day went and bought a crate, she loved going night night in "her bed". Now she is 4 and can be left alone without getting into trouble but she ate molding right off the wall, pulled linoleum flooring up off my kitchen, you name it she ate it. But, she is the best dog, when she turned 2 I adopted a boy who was 1 at the time, already done with all that puppy business. They really are the best dogs.

I am sorry OP that your things got ruined but I learned my lesson the hard way, I left too many things available to my puppy and I was not properly "trained" on how to own a dog, puppy proof etc. Good luck and sorry you have to replace your things.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:22am
post #27 of 34

Labs are lovely dogs but they need a job and a yard and lots of training. They tend to be destructive otherwise. They have tons if energy to burn and if they don't have something constructive to do well, they do destructive things. I love labs. I love "almost" all breeds. Labs, for the most part, don't have body/pain awareness so they are sorta like a bull in the china shop thing. They can knock something over, it can even hit them and unless it's seriously hard they won't even notice. You've probably read this before when I posted but it's the same reason they can jump in a frozen lake to retrieve a duck/bumper and be more than happy to do it. If they were body sensitive they'd be whimpering like me...lol...

There are lots of nice family dog breeds. Shelties are super. Most of the herding breeds tend to be very nice family dogs. Some are small and some are large, some are coated and some are flat coated.

I am very sorry for what your pup did. When I was young my dog (we had him 16 years) but anyway when when he was young and I was young and my mom and dad got new furniture (they weren't wealthy) the first nite my dog (Border Collie/Australian Shep) chewed the arm icon_surprised.gif . My mom fussed and fussed and fussed at my dog...and he was my brother (the dog). I cried and cried and cried because he was in trouble....well I found out years later that my mom did all that fussing because she didn't want my dad to because he'd have been worse! She said she was worried my dad would say he had to go...but he never did...he loved that dog as much as we all did. Now we laugh about it and I hope one day you can too!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:06pm
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliespartycake

I can't imagine NOT having a dog. Have always had one (or more) and I have always crate trained them. ...no it is not cruel. My dog loves his crate. It has been his "house" since he was a pup. He is now 7 and spends many hours each day napping in his "house" with the door open. It's his special place. When I have to go out, he knows and runs into his crate. I've never had a mishap while I've been away.

Having said that, I'm so sorry for your disaster. Maybe you can still crate train your pup. It's such peace of mind when you are not home.

I totally agree with this. We just had to put down our 17 yr old dog who slept in a crate from the first day we brought him home.

In fact, we kept the crate in the basement with the door open when we were home and most times if I didn't see "Bentley" I'd go downstairs and sure enough there he'd be sleeping in his crate with the door open.

He loved being in there.

If and when we get a new puppy, we'll do the same thing.

I love animals too, but I also love my house, furniture, curtains, etc., and it's not worth the destruction they can cause when you're not looking.

OP, I'm sorry for you. I hope this will be his only destruction.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:17pm
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliespartycake

I totally agree with this. We just had to put down our 17 yr old dog who slept in a crate from the first day we brought him home.

In fact, we kept the crate in the basement with the door open when we were home and most times if I didn't see "Bentley" I'd go downstairs and sure enough there he'd be sleeping in his crate with the door open.

He loved being in there.

If and when we get a new puppy, we'll do the same thing.

I love animals too, but I also love my house, furniture, curtains, etc., and it's not worth the destruction they can cause when you're not looking.

OP, I'm sorry for you. I hope this will be his only destruction.

A crate is nothing more than a den with a door. Dogs are den animals, it's why they get under tables, chairs, bushes, etc. Once they learn the crate isn't for punishment they love them and it really helps when you travel and stay in people's homes who aren't dog oriented, most times they don't mind if you bring your dog if the crate comes with them and the dog is happier because their comfortable den travels with them. Another reason to crate train is when the dog gets old and has "issues" they can be comfortable in their "home".

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:25pm
post #30 of 34

Labs are definitely "chewers". Mine was 5 before she stopped eating my stuff. She has eaten numerous pairs of shoes, the arpmits out of my shirts, my underwear, hubby's belts, and once she even ate through hubby's jeans and ate his wallet. She puked it up 2-3 days later. icon_eek.gif She was knocking over our laundry hamper and using it as her own personal snack bar. The things they think of is pretty surprising!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%