Does Carrot Cake Work?

Decorating By sharonk Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 11:53pm by catlharper

sharonk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharonk Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 6

Does carrot cake work good for decorating? I have never tried it, but recently had a request for carrot cake. Someone (who doesn't decorate cakes) told me carrot cake will not work. I am not a big carrot cake fan, but it seems to me it would work. Just don't want to find out the hard way.

5 replies
motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 6

ive used carrot, and it was fine lol

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 6

What do you mean "will it work?" If you're just doing a stacked cake or a single tier cake, then it works fine. I don't know if I would recommend carrot cake for carving though.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 6

I am not quite understanding what you are asking.

If you mean is carrot cake fine for covering with fondant? Yes I do it all the time.

If you mean is carrot cake good for carving? Not really cause I put nuts in mine, and anything with nuts doesnt carve very well.

If you mean is carrot cake fine for covering with cream cheese icing and then left out all day in the hot sun? No that is not advisable.

If you mean is carrot cake fine for covering with cream cheese icing and then walnuts on the side and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top? Yes its the best!

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 6

yea sorry, they are right... what do you need to do with it?

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:53pm
post #6 of 6

Depends on what you are doing with it. Sheet cake covered in fondant, sure but keep in mind that it's a very unstable cake because it usually has nuts and fruit in it that help make fissures..weak areas...where the cake can break apart. Not good for carved cakes at all. If you buy or make a carrot cake without the additions of nuts and fruit then it would be similar to other cake recipes but most carrot cake fans love the additions. We had a mom to be that loved carrot cake but the others didn't so they had us do have of a baby block cake in carrot cake, with additions, and half in white cake frosted in buttercream...what a mess. The cake started to seperate wherever it met the carrot cake. We spent the first half of the shower trying to repair the cake without anyone knowing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%