Bridal Show Follow-Ups

Business By tootie0809 Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 7:28pm by tootie0809

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 17

I did my first bridal show the last weekend in January. I will be receiving a list of all the brides who registered and attended that show including their contact info soon. I want to follow up with these brides via e-mail to remind them to check us out and remember us when booking their cake. I want to start working on the email I will be sending when I get the list so I can send it out as soon as possible. Has anyone sent followup emails after a bridal show and what did you say in your email or post-show ad?

16 replies
CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 17

Your best bet is to email a reminder to the hot leads...ones that signed up directly with you. Then use the lead list and host open houses of some sort throughout the year.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 17

Oh are we supposed to have them sign up directly with us?

CakeForte Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 17

You don't "HAVE" to, but if they're really interested and got a chance to talk to you at the show, it doesn't hurt to ask and it shortens your sales cycle since they're pre-qualified.

tootie0809 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:51pm
post #5 of 17

Uh-oh! I didn't have anyone sign up directly with me. Does that mean having a form to fill out at my booth where they put their name and contact info if they wanted more info from me? Shoot, if that's what it means, I didn't even think of that! Well, I'm doing another show in April, so live and learn for next time! icon_smile.gif

Also I'm wondering what kind of response is to be expected directly after the show? I was hopping busy with emails and calls for more info early last week, but since about Thursday midday to today, it's been pretty much dead. Granted it's only been just over a week since the show ended, but I don't know how to gauge the response I'm getting.

Kitagrl Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:53pm
post #6 of 17

I have my first show Sunday so I better get working on a sign up list!!!

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 17

I haven't had them sign directly at my booth. I get the list from the venue where the show was held, then go through the names and highlight the names of the gals whose wedding date I still have open. Also, I tried the emails with the first show I did. Now I follow up with a postcard, making sure I have pictures of some of my cakes on it. I order them from vistraprint. 100 free plus shipping. Also, since my show in Jan. I've had about 5-8 consults already, and I've booked most of them. (I think 5) so I'm sure they'll be in contact with you also. Good luck! Michelle

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:25pm
post #8 of 17

For my sign up list I just used a generic guest book for a wedding that I got from walmart. I think it was wilton. I just told my brides if they were interested in me contacting them in the next week to a week and a half to write their info down as well as the wedding date. That worked out really well and it fit the theme too!

Hope this helps! icon_lol.gif

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:54pm
post #9 of 17

I did a drawing for my last show. Each bride wrote their contact information down including email address. It worked out really well. I've since booked several weddings just from that one drawing.

Kitagrl Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:05am
post #10 of 17

The show I'm going to provides the raffle tickets so I guess I can't get contact info that way...

I think I'll just use the contacts they send me, and send postcards. Good idea.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:42am
post #11 of 17

We just did our show this past weekend. It's a two-day show. We each had a clipboard and let couples know that if they wanted more info they could write their e-mail address and we would send it to them.

Last night I did a mass sending of wedding cake information. I word it so that it sounds personal, and of course I 'hid' all addresses.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 5:24am
post #12 of 17

I too have a sign up- sign up if you would like me to contact you for a free tasting and consult. I usually have 15-20 sign ups. I don't use the big list, but if you look at the big list and see what dates you have open, that would be good too.

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 11:12am
post #13 of 17

As a bride-to-be, I'd recommend not using the event's list of all brides. There was a large bridal show in our town in January and I'm getting spammed from every establishment that was there.

In my case, I wasn't at the event (or even in the state that day), and I'm not sure what list was given out to the vendors, but if I had been there, I really only would want to receive emails or phone calls from vendors I spoke with specifically. In the weeks since the event, I've replied to no less than 15 emails asking to be taken off their mailing list because I'm not interested in their services. I also get at least 2 voice mail messages each week from other vendors.

If I want to know more about you at a show, I'll ask you specifically or add my name to your list in your booth. It saves time for both of us.

I hope this helps.
-allison

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:34pm
post #14 of 17

KG...hold a small raffle at your booth for a dozen cupcakes or whatever and use those cards for your follow up. Those BTB's will remember your raffle and open the email. From that point you can open a dialog about how your products are prettier, taste better....you get the idea.

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 5:14pm
post #15 of 17

The bridal list we received was in the excel program and they had each area filled out, ex. tux, catering, wedding cake, and if the bride had this already it was marked so, so I won't send them a post card. I also have a "wedding handout" for everyone to pick up at my booth. it tells them flavors, etc. pricing per serving, etc. That's really worked for me.

CakeForte Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:04pm
post #16 of 17

As far as marketing goes....targeting the main list is a weak strategy. For all of the reasons that Allison stated. All of those leads are cold leads - you are starting from ZERO to get to 60. The brides that are going to your booth have already shown an interest in you and your product...so you won't have to try as hard to make the sale. They're HOT leads. WOM referrals are hot leads. A warm lead would be someone that emailed you and set up an appointment.

I've done several shows as a cake vendor, and several shows as a wedding planner prior to that. You're making it harder on yourself by not getting their info when they go to your booth...which is the whole purpose of a bridal show anyway.

tootie0809 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:28pm
post #17 of 17

Thanks for the tips on the CakeForte! Very good information, and I will make sure to have a Request More Info sign-up sheet at my next show.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%