Patting Myself On The Back :d

Lounge By Texas_Rose Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 2:51am by LaBellaFlor

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 12

For a few years the staff at the apartment complex I live at have asked me to make cakes for them. They always pay for the ingredients. I never feel like I can say no, because then if something breaks here it won't get fixed for months.

We're moving in two months. And nothing gets fixed around here anymore anyhow. Today the girl in the office said, "I have to ask you something. My friend's daughter is turning one and she said she can get a cake from HEB for $40, but I told her I'd ask if you could do anything cheaper. She wants three tiers, zebra stripes with pink accents."

And without even discussing details, I said, "Then she should get it from HEB. That's a great price!"

She still tried to talk me into it. I told her my ingredients would be at least $75 and that I'm in the middle of house hunting and packing so I really don't have the time to devote to a big cake. (And I didn't say it but who has three tiers of zebra stripes for a first birthday??? )

It feels so good to say no icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

11 replies
cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 12

Congratulations! Patting you on the back too! icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 12

Yup..it does feel good to say no...Het Congrats on moving into a house....

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 12

Congrats on the house!! 3 tiers for $40?... Seriously?????

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 12

Good for you!

Can I ask what HEB means?

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 12

Oh, boy...doing a little happy dance just for you!!!
Congratulations on excellent use of your backbone thumbs_up.gif !

Please share what HEB is, if you don't mind...

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:54am
post #7 of 12

HEB is the local grocery store chain. They've run out all the other grocery store chains here. Their cakes are more expensive than Walmart's cakes, taste better too...but she couldn't get three tiers there for $40 either.

I suggested she try Craigslist icon_razz.gif

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:37am
post #8 of 12

now I did do three tiers for my daughters first birthday...LOL...but they weren't zebra. Haha

Good for you....I am hoping I can grow a back bone before I get licensed...You are awesome for standing up for yourself!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:24pm
post #9 of 12

Congratulations on the backbone!!! Not to highjack your thread, but I was almost in tears yesterday. I bake for friends/family, and they donate money in my honor to my favorite charity. Most of them are VERY generous!

Well, I baked for an acquaintance for the first time -- 2 different flavors of cupcakes, all scratch made, with buttercream and a little white chocolate heart on top. 4 dozen total, and she handed me a check for $30. She asked, "Is that enough?" I just didn't know what to do, as the check was already written, so I took it.

That was 62 cents apiece -- there's a cupcake store in her town that charges $3 each, so I was expecting at least $1. The ingredients alone cost $20, as I use real butter, whipping cream, gourmet chocolate, etc.

My husband said I should consider setting an actual price, but I kind of like leaving it up to them to decide what to give -- like I said, most have been VERY generous. I guess it'll average out in the long run.

Again, sorry to highjack the thread. I just had to vent!

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 12

HEB does do 3 tiers for $40 but it's 3 one layer, smallish tiers. I do believe it's 3 tiers with basic buttercream and a cake kit, glorified grocery sheet cake for sure.

They can do that because a) it's deceiving, it looks like more cake than it is because they are single layer tiers and b) they are a big chain and ship in cheap, frozen cakes.

Good for you for sticking up for yourself, I need to be more assertive in letting people know how much things really cost.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:36am
post #11 of 12

HEEHEEE HEEE HEEE (evil laugh) I love hearing when people finally say NO. good for you.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:51am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Congratulations on the backbone!!! Not to highjack your thread, but I was almost in tears yesterday. I bake for friends/family, and they donate money in my honor to my favorite charity. Most of them are VERY generous!

Well, I baked for an acquaintance for the first time -- 2 different flavors of cupcakes, all scratch made, with buttercream and a little white chocolate heart on top. 4 dozen total, and she handed me a check for $30. She asked, "Is that enough?" I just didn't know what to do, as the check was already written, so I took it.

That was 62 cents apiece -- there's a cupcake store in her town that charges $3 each, so I was expecting at least $1. The ingredients alone cost $20, as I use real butter, whipping cream, gourmet chocolate, etc.

My husband said I should consider setting an actual price, but I kind of like leaving it up to them to decide what to give -- like I said, most have been VERY generous. I guess it'll average out in the long run.

Again, sorry to highjack the thread. I just had to vent!

I'm with your husband. Set a price. I just feel that was very ungrateful of that person.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%