Must-See Photo, A Caker's Worst Nightmare!

Decorating By JGMB Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 11:23pm by JustToEatCake

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 34

Have you all seen this photo? I don't know where it originated, but my sister sent it to me. It's sad and funny at the same time! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif
LL

33 replies
kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 34

Although funny--it looks photo-shopped to me.

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 34

It is a phony photo. I wonder how many people started some cake rumors over this one

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 34

If it were real I can tell you first hand that it wouldn't be funny. Not to the bride at least. My wedding cake was dropped off at my reception with a DEAD FLY stuck in the buttercream !!! My dad took pictures and then pulled it off without telling me! or anybody else! icon_surprised.gif
I was SO embarrassed later! icon_redface.gif

JGMB Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejewel

It is a phony photo.

Oh, I'm so glad!!! I guess I'm naive icon_redface.gif -- it sure looked real to me.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 34

hehe even fake it looks cute. I love squirrels. Though, I'm sure the bride wouldn't have been as amused as I am icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 34

Sorry, but I disagree. I think it's real--the shadows, the way the paw curls around the piped shell, the way the napkin curves around the haunch, the fine hairs overlayed on the rocks.........no evidence of a "cut-out/paste" anywhere.

Squirrels will eat anything and are opportunists. I found a great youtube video of a squirrel feeding on half of a birthday cake.

I've been a squirrel lover for over 30 years, so this would have made my day! I'd have rather had the photo for my wedding album than served the cake!

Rae

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 11:52pm
post #8 of 34

I agree with BlakesCakes, when you click on the photo to look at it bigger, it definitely looks real.

I was looking up squirrel eating cake just now and found a youtube video of a raccoon eating a birthday cake...my 4 year old got all excited because she never knew that raccoons were real icon_biggrin.gif

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 12:03am
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I was looking up squirrel eating cake just now and found a youtube video of a raccoon eating a birthday cake...my 4 year old got all excited because she never knew that raccoons were real icon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gif How cute!!

JGMB Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:16am
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I've been a squirrel lover for over 30 years, so this would have made my day! Rae

My husband and I love squirrels, too. We actually have one who comes and begs on his hindlegs in the bush outside the kitchen window. I make a peanut butter on whole wheat sandwich and throw it out to him on occasion.

I plan to make this cake for my husband for Valentine's Day, although he's now announced that he's working from home on Friday, so it'll be hard to do it without him seeing it!

http://www.wilton.com/idea/Nutty-Guy

lmr4876 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmr4876 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:36am
post #11 of 34

I made a fondant covered cake for a wedding at a winery this Oct. The bees dug tunnels all thru the cake during the ceremony. When they were cutting the cake, you could see the bees managed to get about 4 inches into it in about 40 places. Everybody knew and ate the cake anyway.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:38am
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmr4876

I made a fondant covered cake for a wedding at a winery this Oct. The bees dug tunnels all thru the cake during the ceremony. When they were cutting the cake, you could see the bees managed to get about 4 inches into it in about 40 places. Everybody knew and ate the cake anyway.

Oh YUCK....

But I guess we eat honey...eh?

Ew.

bakeawish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeawish Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 8:31pm
post #13 of 34

I think the pic is cute..and not too tragic since that is a grocery store style wedding cake that would take all of twenty minutes to make...( I know I am a grocery store wreckerator for my day job he he)

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 8:41pm
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:

Oh YUCK....

Ew.

Oh I luvs me some regurgitated Bee-puke!! Hmmm mmm mmm good!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 8:42pm
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

icon_lol.gif How cute!!

MY DD loves racoons, but she calls them "stealers" it took us a good year to figure out what a "stealer" was when she was about 3 yrs. old.....then she finally was able to draw a picture and said "see they have a mask and they steal stuff" my DH and I were like "oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh a raccooon!!!!!!!!"

She's 6 now and we all still call them stealers!

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 8:49pm
post #16 of 34

I know some brides would be horrified if something like this happened at thier wedding...I would have gotten a kick out of it! Too cute!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 8:49pm
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:

Oh YUCK....

Ew.

I saw David Brenner once, and he got onto talking about drinking tea with honey - he talked about seeing little bees hanging their heads over miniature toilets!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 8:58pm
post #18 of 34

Awwe... that is too cute about the raccoons. When my brother was little we spent a whole morning trying to figure out what he was asking for. For breakfast he wanted a banangle (bay-nangle). WTF is a banangle??? Took him arnd the kitchen crying for a banangle... not this... not that... tears. Finally we opened the freezer and he points to the freezer waffles "BANANGLES"!!!!! Ooooooooooooooooooooh... WAFFLES... to this day (and he's 23 now) we call them banagles... some crazy mix of waffles and bagels.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:20pm
post #19 of 34

lol! I love it!!

MY DS who is now 11 stayed with my mom for a week one time (we lived 500 miles away) and I always had cinnamon/sugar mix and it came in this little shaker that had a boy on it.....so he called it "boy"

he was with my mom and said he wanted toast w/ "boy" on it for breakfast, my mom called me and said "what kind of sick thing are you giving your son for breakfast now????"" LOL

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:32pm
post #20 of 34

i totally believe a squirrel stealing cake. when i was in college, the squirrels around campus were downright demanding. if you were eating lunch on a bench, they'd come right up and bark at you until you gave them something. they'd climb right on top of you if you were friendly enough.

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:28am
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

i totally believe a squirrel stealing cake. when i was in college, the squirrels around campus were downright demanding. if you were eating lunch on a bench, they'd come right up and bark at you until you gave them something. they'd climb right on top of you if you were friendly enough.

I lived on the bottom floor of a balcony-style dorm room in college. Doors opened to the outside like a motel does. A squirrel walked right in to my room once when my door was open. Sat on the floor looking at me for awhile basically begging for food. I had nothing to give it so it finally gave up and left. It was very cute though.

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:51am
post #22 of 34

Too cute, awww. I have squirrel envy.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:57am
post #23 of 34

I think the picture is fake, the cake isn't casting a shadow, for one thing. Regardless, it's totally possible that a squirrel could get to an outdoor cake and have at it.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:04am
post #24 of 34

I got a chuckle out of this. I, too, think it is real, for the same reason: paw curling around the frosting, etc., and primarily because that is just what the little critter would do. I am not particularly fond of them for they keep my bird feeders empty, thwarting my every effort to foil them.
Re the bees in the cake: I recall a picnic--the kind where the food was spread out on a blanket--and the dessert was an angel food cake. Well, each and every slice looked like an ant farm, you know how you see a cross section of their tunnels? The whole cake was riddled with them! I was just a child so to me it was hilarious. The cake maker was not of the same opinion!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:13am
post #25 of 34

What a cute photo...

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:30am
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42

I got a chuckle out of this. I, too, think it is real, for the same reason: paw curling around the frosting, etc., and primarily because that is just what the little critter would do. I am not particularly fond of them for they keep my bird feeders empty, thwarting my every effort to foil them.
Re the bees in the cake: I recall a picnic--the kind where the food was spread out on a blanket--and the dessert was an angel food cake. Well, each and every slice looked like an ant farm, you know how you see a cross section of their tunnels? The whole cake was riddled with them! I was just a child so to me it was hilarious. The cake maker was not of the same opinion!

LOL ... " Mommy, why are the sprinkles dancing?"

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:43am
post #27 of 34

bakeawish, I was just laughing so hard, I decorate for a super market too, I am a wreckarator!! hahaha, I can not wait to tell my boss that one.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:00am
post #28 of 34

that reminds me of this photo:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technology/849629/photo-crashing-squirrel-becomes-online-sensation

and this wasn't photoshopped lol so cute

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:17am
post #29 of 34

Ha ha.............cute/funny picture.

I too believe the pic isn't photoshopped. you can see bulged icing between the little guys hands.

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:58am
post #30 of 34

No offense bakeawish, but if it's a real pic - it might be heart breaking for the bride ( considering she is not a squirrel lover icon_smile.gif ) even though the cake was made in 20 min in a superstore bakery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%