Where And How To Do Fillings,..

Decorating By jennywaldon Updated 7 Feb 2010 , 12:16am by sylly

jennywaldon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywaldon Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 3

I'm really new at doing fillings,...I'm makin a strawberry and raspberry cake layers, two different cakes. Can you tell me what I do for doing a filling. I'm trying the jam and jello recipe - do I put it between the two layers after I icing the cake layer? Tips?

2 replies
niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 3

After I bake and cool my cakes, i level the top and then cut the cake into thirds (or however many layers you want).

I make sure that when I take the cakes apart, i keep them oriented the same way so that I can line them back up as when they were one cake.

I pipe a tip #12 dam around the perimeter of the first layer of cake. Spoon my filling in, making sure that it does not go over the height of the dam. Put the other cake layer on top and do it again.

Let the cake sit like that for about 12 hours to let it settle. This way, if there is any bulge that occurs, you can trim it off and not have the bulge under your icing/fondant.

HTH

sylly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sylly Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 12:16am
post #3 of 3

I usually put my bottom cake down and dig a small trench into it. Go around the cake with a knife and cut a circle not too deep and about 1/2 inch away from the sides. Take an icing knife that is angled and remove a small layer from the inside of the cake. This ensures that you will have no bulges in between your layers.

Use a small amount of filling. Believe me- less is more. You want to taste the filling as an accent to your cake, not the other way around. Fill your hole and place the top cake on. Press down a bit to make sure that it is on there and that you don't have the issue of the cake settling once you ice it.

Depending on the filling, sometimes I put a put a board on top of it with a book or heavy magazine for a bit to make sure the air is out and the cake is as settled as it is going to get.

Then ice and decorate. You can buy fillings at most local cake supply shops or online. Maknig your own is great too, just keep in mind that some fillings need to be refigerated and you will have to do the same once it is in our cake. Mostly cream cheese icings or mousses, anything milk based.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%