Help With Smooth Look On Cookies

Baking By sister340 Updated 17 Feb 2010 , 4:30pm by dailey

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:29pm
post #31 of 39

I use either a flooded royal icing which dries smooth and shiny or fondant which is always smooth (unless you texture it.) Depending on the design.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 6:30pm
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgatherings

Gemini, take for instance your 60's cookies, I am assuming everywhere I see black outlining, you did that last?? Is that correct? I love that black outlining because I think it really makes the cookie colors pop! But I'm not sure if it's done first or last? and do you just have the steadiest hand on the face of the earth or is there another secret to your fine lines?

Yes, the black outlines are the last thing I do when decorating cookies. I like to take all my leftover icing colors from that batch, mix them together, then add black. I then add enough powdered sugar to get the icing to the consistency of peanut butter and pipe it on using a #1s tip. No secrets to the fine lines, either! Just steady pressure and patience. If you rush the outlining, you won't like the result.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 6:38pm
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sister340

Gemini, would you mind telling us how you apply the glace to the small areas? And what order you do the steps. Ex: bake, cool, then what comes next? Thanks for all the great templates!
j.

Sorry, I forgot I was going to answer your question, too! I use a smaller tip to apply the icing to small areas (usually a #2). If the design is complicated, I will draw it on the cookie using my kopykake projector and food color pens. If I only need a couple little tick marks to make sure I keep the design consistent, I will simply use a pencil (no worries, it's non-toxic). I pick a light color to start with and ice all the cookies with that. Then I move on to another color that preferrably does not touch the first color. Think of it like a paint-by-number, and do each area accordingly. Once all the icing has been added, that's when I mix the leftover icings together and add the black. Until the outlines have been added, most of my cookies look pretty disappointing! As globalgatherings mentioned, the black really makes the design pop. It makes a HUGE difference! If you don't like to use black, add enough powdered sugar to the color icing you want to use for the outlines, and use that.

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 7:48pm
post #34 of 39

Thank you!!! So excited to try your technique. You do lovely work, and I'll keep trying.
j.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 12:49am
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniecakes

Is there a difference between rolled buttercream and buttercream?

Yes. Buttercream is an icing for cakes, soft and able to be spread and piped.
Rolled buttercream is a lot like fondant, a clay, if you will, that you can roll out like cookie dough.
HTH!

juniecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juniecakes Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:24am
post #36 of 39

Thank you I was confused. Can you buy it premade or is a recipe better?

juniecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juniecakes Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:24am
post #37 of 39

Thank you I was confused. Can you buy it premade or is a recipe better?

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:19am
post #38 of 39

There are lots of recipes for both on here...just search in the recipes and you'll find lots of options for both! icon_smile.gif
Good luck!

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:30pm
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgatherings

Gemini, take for instance your 60's cookies, I am assuming everywhere I see black outlining, you did that last?? Is that correct? I love that black outlining because I think it really makes the cookie colors pop! But I'm not sure if it's done first or last? and do you just have the steadiest hand on the face of the earth or is there another secret to your fine lines?

Yes, the black outlines are the last thing I do when decorating cookies. I like to take all my leftover icing colors from that batch, mix them together, then add black. I then add enough powdered sugar to get the icing to the consistency of peanut butter and pipe it on using a #1s tip. No secrets to the fine lines, either! Just steady pressure and patience. If you rush the outlining, you won't like the result.

hmmmm, so you do the black outline *last*? i always do it first. i think i'm gonna try it *your* way next time as i occasionally get the "bleeding". : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%