Really Lemony Scratch Cake Recipe?

Baking By JustToEatCake Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 3:30am by noahsmummy

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 16

I'm looking to make this for myself for my birthday. Anyone have a recipe like this? Thanks!

15 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 16

When I make this, people rave over it:

Lemon Layer Cake
(from The Old-Fashioned Baking Book by Jim Fobel)

2 ½ cups sifted cake flour
2 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
8 Tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 tsp. grated lemon zest (I used fresh, not dried)
1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
½ cup milk
½ cup fresh lemon juice

1.  Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375. Grease and flour two 8 round cake pans, tapping out the excess flour.

2.  In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the sifted cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

3.  In a large bowl, combine the butter and lemon zest; with an electric mixer, beat until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time and then beat until light, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in about ¼ of the dry ingredients and then all of the milk. Beat in the remaining dry ingredients alternately with the lemon juice, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.

4.  Divide between the prepared pans and smooth the top of the batter with a spatula. Bake about 25 minutes, until the tops spring back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pans on a rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges to loosen from the pans and turn the layers out on a rack. Cool to room temperature.

Happy Birthday!!!! party.gif

Ronbob1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ronbob1984 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 16

I recently made the yummiest lemon cake. I took a vanilla scratch recipe and replaced the vanilla with a packet of the sugar free lemonade packets (the water bottle size). It made the cake super lemony and tart. I also added it to the AMBC. YUM icon_biggrin.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 16

I really like Magnolia Bakery's lemon cake recipe, paired with lemon curd & lemon buttercream - my fav!

JustToEatCake Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 3:20am
post #5 of 16

They both sound great. I really wanted a recipe like that with fresh lemon juice, thanks! I'm going to try it next week!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 16

This is more of a dessert cake - I have made it in loaves and also a bundt pan, and it is hands-down the best lemon cake I have ever had. Its texture is very much like a pound cake.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/lemon-cake-recipe/index.html

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 8:37pm
post #7 of 16

Well, This cake uses the entire lemon....It is fabulous. I copied the recipe from my blog, it's in cupcake form, but it translates into cake just as well.

Light and Lemony Cake
from Warren Brown's "Cake Love"

Dry:
8 1/2 ounces unbleached AP flour (approx 1 1/2 cups + 3 Tbsp) - I measured, read the book and you'll understand why.
2 Tbsp potato starch
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda (no, that's not a typo. that's all you use.)
Liquid:
2 lemons
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup whole milk
1 tbsp limoncello
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp lemon oil (I did not have lemon oil, so I use 1 tsp vanilla extract)
Creaming:
1 stick unsalted, room temp, butter
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
16 ounces extra-fine granulated sugar ( approx 2 cups)
2 Tbsp turbinado sugar (look in the organic section of your store)
1 tbsp lemon zest
4 large eggs
1 large egg yolk.

zest the lemon, set aside. segment the lemons (basically, you cut the peel-with white- off the lemon and then cut the fruit out as you would a grapefruit, being careful not to get any seeds or membrane in with the pulp.)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sift flour directly into a bowl on a scale for accurate measuring. Measure the other dry ingredients into a seperate mixing bowl, add the flour and whisk for 10 seconds.
Measure liquid ingredietns into a seperate bowl, whisk to combine - don't try to break up the lemon, the mixer will do it.
In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle, cream the butter, cream cheese, sugars and lemon zest on lowest speed for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the eggs one a time, fully incorporating after each addition (scraping bowl when needed).
Add the dry ingredients alternately with the liquid mixture in 3 to 5 additions each, beginning and ending with the dry. this should take a total of 60 seconds. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl and all the way down, then mix on med for 15 to 20 seconds.
fill liners 2/3 full. Bake 18-22 minutes.

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 9:31pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

......8 Tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
.......:

we dont use "sticks" of butter down here so can someone tell me how much a US butter stick weighs??? saves me from having to dish out 8 tablespoons

many thanks!

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 9:45pm
post #9 of 16

4 ounces.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 10:05pm
post #10 of 16

I use the 1-2-3-4 cake recipe from the box and add 2 heaping Tbs of lemon curd at the creaming stage, 2 Tbs of lemon extract and 2 Tbs of lemon zest at the end.

JustToEatCake Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 10:23pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyty

I use the 1-2-3-4 cake recipe from the box and add 2 heaping Tbs of lemon curd at the creaming stage, 2 Tbs of lemon extract and 2 Tbs of lemon zest at the end.

I'm sorry I don't understand what box you are speaking of?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 10:30pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:

What box of what has that recipe?

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 10:43pm
post #13 of 16

I really like this one. It has an intense lemon flavor.
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7216/lemon-cake-ii

JustToEatCake Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:20am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:

What box of what has that recipe?

The Swans Cake flour box!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:10am
post #15 of 16

Ah! Got it!! icon_biggrin.gif

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:30am
post #16 of 16

This is a cupcake recipe, but im sure you can alter it for a cake.. i wouldnt suggest it for carving becuase it is a really really light cake.. but its delicous! sort of melts in your mouth! =)

90 g (4oz) softened butter
90g (4oz) softened cream cheese
2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon rind
150g (5 oz) sugar
2 eggs
60g (2oz) plain flour
50g (2 oz) self raising flour

place butter cream cheese lemon rind, sugar and eggs in a large bowl, beat until mixture is light and creamy (i usually squirt a bit of lemon juice in there as well to make it a bit more lemony.. but depends on your taste.. i like flavours super strong..=))

sift in flours and fold in until just combined.

bake cupcakes 25 mins at 160 degrees C (320 F)

and your done.

good luck. =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%