Should I Or Shouldn't I?

Baking By cakemeasIam Updated 5 Feb 2010 , 6:00pm by CookieMeister

cakemeasIam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemeasIam Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 5

i just rec'd a request for 25 dozen cookies for a college function...its your traditional , cc, sugar, and peanut butter.
i don't typically bake cookies - never rec'd an order- nor do i advertise for it.
I guess my question is should I do it? and take a risk and open another door for our business?

they are asking me to stay with in their budget... and its fair.

then i start asking the question? on a platter? in a box? you are all the experts...what do you think?

TIA

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 5

Ask them how they want them packaged. Most likely, bulk packed will be fine, in which case, get some sturdy cardboard boxes (my cake supply store sells them for BIG sheet cakes). I lined them with large sheets of parchment.

25 doz is only 300 cookies, so you should be able to bulk pack them in 2 or 3 of these big boxes. (I had an order from a college for 1800 cookies once.)

One hint (that my daughter was amazed to learn), when packing cookies like this, stand them straight up and down. THe tendency is to angle them, but this will increase the odds of breakage. When you stand them straight up, they are packed nice and tight and secure, which decreases the breakage.

I also recommend making the dough balls ahead of time. I would do this and freeze them. Then I would be able to take them straight from freezer to oven and the actual baking was quick and easy. Also, when you make the dough balls ahead of time, you can get all of that mess cleaned up and you're not dealing with cookie-making-mess on baking day, too. WAY easier.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 5

Totally agree with debi also.

That's how I get my Holiday baking done. Days and days of dough making. Then ahhhh baking day..very little mess! I love doing it this way.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 5

yep, I did the make-ahead-and-freeze-the-dough-balls this year at Christmas that Debi suggested and it worked out GREAT!!

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebakes

yep, I did the make-ahead-and-freeze-the-dough-balls this year at Christmas that Debi suggested and it worked out GREAT!!

So did I - best tip I've ever gotten! Thanks again Debi!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%