Does Anyone Know How I Would Do A Tornado Cake?

Decorating By masturbaker Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 8:30am by madgeowens

masturbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
masturbaker Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:45am
post #1 of 14

Hi everyone! I'm doing a cake for this weekend... They want a sheet cake with a 3d farm scene on it. The boy is really into tornados and weather, so they want a tornado somewhere on the cake. My idea is to have a barn and silo and animals... and then to have a large 3d tornado just ripping through the cake... maybe damaging the barn...

I'm wondering how I can do the tornado? I have an idea from someone on here who did a smiliar cake. And she made rings of royal icing... this seems like a great idea, but i'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas or input for me... I need something that will be sturdy obviously... I don't want the tornado to fall over! Any ideas on the construction?

Also, if anyone else has done a farm cake... perhaps you can let me know an "order of operations"... which should I get done first?

i'm not looking to make animals out of gumpaste or anything, i'll most likely buy little plastic animals to use...

Thanks for your help!!!!

13 replies
anmnewlin1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anmnewlin1 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:04am
post #2 of 14

I did a tornado that Taz was coming out of. I used RKT and covered with fondant. I used a pipe for the structure.

Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:11am
post #3 of 14

If you are looking for extra strength for your tornado, how about using a sugar ice cream cone, then cover it in fondant, royal, or icing? Its edible, sweet, and would help reinforce the cone shape...

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:15am
post #4 of 14

You can even make the tornado out of cotton candy if you can find it. I think that would be kind of cool icon_biggrin.gif You can put it around the bottom of asugar cone for stability or use a straw ect.

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:16am
post #5 of 14

I did a tornado cake (not sure if I posted it). I made many different sized rings of royal icing on wax paper, and then stacked them kind of haphazardly. I put a dowel in the middle of the tornado to help support it. I had to travel a long way to the party so I put the tornado in a container with padding around it and then put it on the cake when I got there. It came out really good, and it's not as hard as it seems!!

Lambshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lambshack Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:19am
post #6 of 14

Better yet, make a bunch of super thin strings of gumpaste and then wrap them haphazardly around a parchment covered ice cream cone, with extra 'height' added and twisted back around itself at the very tip. Place the cone upside down and work your way up to the top. Make sure to insert a wire or two sticking out of the top (which will flip over to be the bottom) in order to stick it into the cake. The key is to do this way ahead of time, and to make a couple of extras, just in case of breakage. Also, be very loose with the formation - don't have it end at the edge of the cone - pull a bit of it off to one side - like a real tornado would look. They are not perfectly straight funnels.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:38am
post #7 of 14

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1290433

I remembered this picture from Parable's avatar. You could PM her to ask her more specifics.

masturbaker Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:06am
post #8 of 14

hey puffcake! thanks for the heads up on parable's avatar.. that is EXACTLY the look i want!!! i just pmed her... thanks so much

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:19am
post #9 of 14

Glad to help! Good luck with your cake icon_smile.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:08am
post #10 of 14

oh.. you have to have a flying cow somwhere on the cake maybe just a leg or two sticking out of the tornado !!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:32am
post #11 of 14

I did a tornado by inserting a dowel and forming RKT around it in the shape i wanted. I then used white chocolate to cover it. It turned out well, but it was hard to keep the tornado from sliding down. I should have put a piece of cake circle between the cake and tornado to support it.

masturbaker Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:38am
post #12 of 14

all you have great suggestions! take a look at parable's wizard of oz tornado..... i know she did the tornado out of RKT and royal icing. but how do you think she mounted the tornado to the board? my tornado will be on a 4 inch high sheet cake and won't have anything on top of it.... how do i keep the tornado from falling over? i'd like it to have some real height to it if i can..

any suggestions??

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:24am
post #13 of 14

Well I was thinking that what if you attach a dowel to a small cylinder (flat piece of wood or something sturdy but flat) And then insert it thru the cake. Something like the shape of a flower nail .

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:30am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffCake

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1290433

I remembered this picture from Parable's avatar. You could PM her to ask her more specifics.

wow thats really cool

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%