How Small A Wedding Cake Would You Make?

Business By kellertur Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 5:24pm by FromScratch

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 20

I've been asked to do a rather tiny wedding cake... 15 guests, but they still want two tiers so 6" & 8" rounds (39-40 serving I think).
Is this really worth the hassel of paperwork to do this as a "wedding cake"? I want to be fair, but to offer a free anniversary cake, do a complete contract, etc when the wedding is less than 6 weeks away seems a bit much... Do most bakers have a minimum order for wedding cakes and would most consider this just a party cake? I'm not trying to complain, just want to be fair to both them AND myself.

Any suggestions... they are rather high maintenance in their request and want a lot for nothing... Not sure if I'll take this one yet... the tasting is this week.

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

19 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 20

Your doing a tasting for a cake for 40 and they only have 15 guest? Wow.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 20

I treat wedding and party as exactly the same thing. They are both cake and the customer pays for the size of the cake not the label. So if they want two tier 8" and 6" then they pay for the number of servings even if they are only having 15 guests.

kellertur Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Your doing a tasting for a cake for 40 and they only have 15 guest? Wow.

Yeah, I know it sounds crazy... I heard "wedding" and they were calling for a tasting so I set up the appointment. I wasn't until toward the end of the phone call that she finally told me how many guests they were planning on having - that's when we spoke about the 2 tiers. Originally she wanted 2 tiers with only 15 servings... icon_confused.gif

I now treat wedding and party cakes the same price / serving-wise, but it was all the extra stuff that goes along with the wedding cake that I wondered about... free anniversary cake, contract, etc...

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 20

I think you should change your contract to say - free anniversary cake for cakes that serve over 100 (or 150 or whatever you want it to be).

Anyway, it's up to you as to whether you want a contract. If you do contracts for your party cakes, then do one for your wedding cakes. If not, don't do one.

I wouldn't give a free anniversary cake though.

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:02am
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellertur

I've been asked to do a rather tiny wedding cake... 15 guests, but they still want two tiers so 6" & 8" rounds (39-40 serving I think).
Is this really worth the hassel of paperwork to do this ....

if you didnt know they only had 15 guests attending would you still do the contract & provide a anniversary cake for the 2 tier/40 slices cake? im assuming you are going to quote the normal cake price no matter how many guests so i would do paperwork/deposits, especially as the wedding is only 6 weeks away

LaBellaFlor Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:06am
post #7 of 20

No, no, no, don't misunderstand me. I do everything as special occassion, regardless of wedding or birthday. Everyone gets a tasting. But to do a personal tasting it would have to have a minimum number of of servings to offset the cost of the tasting as well as the free anniversary cake. I can't afford to give someone a free anniversary cake for 40 servings, nor an indivdual tasting.

LaBellaFlor Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:07am
post #8 of 20

And yes, ALWAYS A CONTRACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did I stress that I always thing it's important to have a contract? icon_wink.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:09am
post #9 of 20

If she wants a two tier cake that feeds 40 why should it matter how many guest she is expecting? I would not give a free anniversary cake for this size cake and I would have a contract.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:11am
post #10 of 20

Would you normally make a wedding cake for 40? If you do would you provide them with a free anniversary cake (we don't do this in UK)? I always do contracts whether the cake is 10 servings or 300 it is still a business transaction. As long as the bride understands that the cake is 40 servings and is willing to pay for those servings it does not matter how many guests they have.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:45am
post #11 of 20

I just did a wedding cake that was for 4 people. They bought a 6" round (12 servings.) No tasting, and the design was whatever I wanted.

But yes, I've done several 6/8 wedding cakes, mostly for at home weddings. Yes they get a tasting and a design consultation. However, I always get the number of gusts expected first - that's how I know how many flavors to give them in their tasting appointment.

typical telephone convo -
me "Gallery House"
bride "I'm getting married . . . "you know that part.
me "I hod the appointments on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, during the day or after work. So, the first question for you is, Do you need a daytime appointment or an after work appointment?"
bride chooses
I give her day options from my calender, bride chooses day

The above gets her used to listening and making quick choices.

me "I'll just need to get a little basic information from you to open up a file. Spell your last name, please. Telephone number? (Confirm wedding date which she probably gave me at the beginning of the convo.) Where is your reception going to be held? (Gotta make sure it's in my delivery area.) And about how many guests do you expect? Just an estimate for now is fine.
bride gives number
me "You get to taste (insert number) cake flavors during your consultation. Please choose from the following list: White, almond white, strawberry, lemon, orange, chocolate, chocolate rasp or chocolate almond.
bride "How about Italian Creme?"
me "I do offer Italian Creme, but not on the tasting menu. Would you like me to repeat the choices on the tasting menu?"

if the guests count is <40 she gets 1 choice
>41 and <75 two choices
>75 (usually 100) she gets three choices.

Three is my max.

You really need to keep control of the convo and establish boundaries, IMO.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:52am
post #12 of 20

this is why leah is one of my heroes!!! Your opening script is almost word for word on how I'd converse with brides. thumbs_up.gif

kellertur Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:36am
post #13 of 20

The free anniversary cake is just a 6" round instead of keeping the top tier. If it's technically a wedding cake, they get one... I never thought to have restrictions on this regarding size.

Leahs~ I like your script too. It's a good idea.

Funny thing is, I was playing the drums when my husband answered this woman's call... icon_biggrin.gif

I don't charge for tastings because I usually just serve whatever is fresh and on hand. I've done contracts for every wedding cake so far, so I've decided I will for this one as well... Thanks for the input, it's appreciated.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:14am
post #14 of 20

I give a free anniversary cake too, but I do a 4". It's just for them, so I think a 6" is big for 2, but Iknow others do the 6" cake too.

I have done a few little weddin' cakes. You could even do a 4-6-8 and have it look more like a wedding cake and that's 35 sevings by my chart. icon_smile.gif This is a 4-6-8 if you wantd to see one done up http://www.flickr.com/photos/thewelldressedcake/4223719912/

I do a contract for each cake... for party cakes it's the invoice... everything is spelled out in detail and they sign off on it. For weddings I do a full blown contract. I'd probably do a full blown contract. icon_smile.gif

Free tastings are saved for 100 servings or more, but I'd do a paid tasting no problem.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:08am
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

I give a free anniversary cake too, but I do a 4". It's just for them, so I think a 6" is big for 2, but Iknow others do the 6" cake too.

I have done a few little weddin' cakes. You could even do a 4-6-8 and have it look more like a wedding cake and that's 35 sevings by my chart. icon_smile.gif This is a 4-6-8 if you wantd to see one done up http://www.flickr.com/photos/thewelldressedcake/4223719912/

I do a contract for each cake... for party cakes it's the invoice... everything is spelled out in detail and they sign off on it. For weddings I do a full blown contract. I'd probably do a full blown contract. icon_smile.gif

Free tastings are saved for 100 servings or more, but I'd do a paid tasting no problem.

Jeanne - that cake is gorgeous (as all of your cakes are)l!

kellertur Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:29am
post #16 of 20

That is a beautiful cake. icon_smile.gif

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:01pm
post #17 of 20

I always do a contract for everybody and don't do any kind of "free anniversary tier".

As far as the tasting, I always offer my wedding clients (no matter the size) the opportunity to come to a tasting. I do tastings once a month and bake 4 or 5 different flavors. I do that whether I have 3 couples coming or 10. The way I figure, even if it's a small wedding, it's a huge event to them. I think it's nice that they get the opportunity to plan their special day the same way a couple with 200 guests do. It's just as important to them. I just slice up my "loaf pan" cakes into how many slices I need for the number of couples coming~ so no extra baking either. Also, just because they are only having a few guests...doesn't mean every couple they recommend call me will only have a few guests. And if they get the extra special treatment just like my large weddings get...they will remember it and will definitely refer me. Just my thoughts...

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:49pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I just did a wedding cake that was for 4 people. They bought a 6" round (12 servings.) No tasting, and the design was whatever I wanted.

But yes, I've done several 6/8 wedding cakes, mostly for at home weddings. Yes they get a tasting and a design consultation. However, I always get the number of gusts expected first - that's how I know how many flavors to give them in their tasting appointment.

typical telephone convo -
me "Gallery House"
bride "I'm getting married . . . "you know that part.
me "I hod the appointments on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, during the day or after work. So, the first question for you is, Do you need a daytime appointment or an after work appointment?"
bride chooses
I give her day options from my calender, bride chooses day

The above gets her used to listening and making quick choices.

me "I'll just need to get a little basic information from you to open up a file. Spell your last name, please. Telephone number? (Confirm wedding date which she probably gave me at the beginning of the convo.) Where is your reception going to be held? (Gotta make sure it's in my delivery area.) And about how many guests do you expect? Just an estimate for now is fine.
bride gives number
me "You get to taste (insert number) cake flavors during your consultation. Please choose from the following list: White, almond white, strawberry, lemon, orange, chocolate, chocolate rasp or chocolate almond.
bride "How about Italian Creme?"
me "I do offer Italian Creme, but not on the tasting menu. Would you like me to repeat the choices on the tasting menu?"

if the guests count is <40 she gets 1 choice
>41 and <75 two choices
>75 (usually 100) she gets three choices.

Three is my max.

You really need to keep control of the convo and establish boundaries, IMO.

This is awesome Leah! I've been scheduling consults/tastings with a lot of brides and this would have been great for me to have. I'm still getting my legs under me as far as the business goes. So far, all of my tastings and have great and every bride has booked with me but that would have helped me get more control. You guys are great to share!

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:22pm
post #19 of 20

Great info!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:24pm
post #20 of 20

Thanks for the kinds words about my cake(s).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%