How Do You Get Perfect Letter Cookies??

Baking By CAKE_NEWBIE Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 11:11pm by luv2bake6

CAKE_NEWBIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKE_NEWBIE Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 8

Hi ladies. Im new here so forgive me if this question was already asked. but i wanted to know how do you get perfect letter cookies? I tried 2 batches and they both spread and got distorted. any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!!

7 replies
muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 8

Maybe try putting the cut out cookies into the fridge for a few minutes before baking... sometimes helps with spreading... icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 8

It's all in the recipe. I use one I got from GeminiRJ (on this site) that came with her 3D cookie cutters I bought. It doesn't spread at all and the taste is very good. There is also a receipe for glace (with the 3D cutters) that is so much better then royal. You can sned her a pm on this site if you're interested in her cutters and recipe.

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 8

i use the no fail sugar cookie recipe that's on this site for all my sugar cookies. once i've cut them all i put them in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes and when they bake they don't loose their shape at all. try that out!

chris

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 8

If there is one thing I've learned here on CC, (I've learned a LOT! icon_lol.gif ) is that no matter what cookie recipe you use, if you still are having a spreading problem, then as soon as your cookies come out of the oven, take the same cookie cutter & re-cut the baked cookie for that perfect shape. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 8

What Kathie said. Here's a thread with a couple of links to pics of cookies with and without the post-baking-recut: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-649283-tshirt.html

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 8

I prefer to change a recipe instead of re-cutting a cookie! I think (In my own opinion) that it doesn't make the cookie look professional.. it comes crumbly on the side.. not smooth...

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 11:11pm
post #8 of 8

I agree. I did it for the first time last week and did not like the way it looked on the sides.
I would definately try to use a recipe with no baking powder to avoid spreading.
But, even if the letters look distorted, you could 'clean' the look up with the icing you use. You don't have to use the whole cookie to ice, just outline the actual letter and then flood the inside.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%