Would I Mind?

Decorating By Ladiesofthehouse Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 3:07am by idgalpal

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 38

I delivered a cake this week...customer absolutely loved it!

I use pro. bakery boxes with my card on the front when I deliver my cakes.

Customer said she told the birthday lady that she would be making the cake for the party, so would I mind if she removed my business card from the box and told them she made it?

icon_eek.gif

37 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 38

Ahhhhh.....Let me think....Hell YES I mind......some people....I would make dam sure the birthday girl knows you made it.....

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 38

This is when you put your business name and logo on the top of the cake board under the cake. As the cake gets cut and served, your logo slowly appears icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 38

HE!! yes I mind! If you know the birthday lady I'd make it a point to ask her "how did you like my cake" sometime.

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 38

lol! Crazy lady! Wasn't there a thread on here a while back about a customer that did something like this? She was a lady's best customer but the lady always had to deliver in wierd ways or something. Didn't find out until the customer was moving away that she was passing off all the cakes as her own.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 38

There is a lady with a small bakery here where I live. She always orders from illegal cake ladies and passes them off as her own, since she doesn't actually decorate cakes. She doesn't even supply the cake for them either. She purchases the cake fully decorated and has the person deliver the cake to her shop, then she boxes it in her boxes and delivers to the venues.

She tried to get me to do the same thing with her, and I said NO WAY!

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:55pm
post #7 of 38

That is just so dishonest! Why in the world would someone tell another person that they made the cake when they didn't? Do they just need an ego boost? Please! I can see if she told the lady she'd make one for her and ran out of time or something came up and she couldn't so she'd tell her, instead of making the cake myself, I got one from my favorite bakery/baker.....

That's just rude for her to even ask such as stupid question. I hope you told her that yes, you did mind that she was trying to pass off your hard work as her own.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 38

Sooo . . . what'd you say?

inquirirng minds want to know.

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 38

Wow - people are unbelievable. What was your response?

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:13pm
post #10 of 38

I had a lady order a carrot cake from me. Not decorated. Just "lots and lots of that lovely cream cheese icing you get on carrot cake".

She was just 'strange'.... you know you get a feeling from some people?

When she came to collect, she said 'I hope you haven't got a tell-tale sticker on the box?' I told her that, yes, there was a sticker with my business name on the box.

She said 'hang on a minute', went to her car and came back with a huge plastic tupperware container, that she then insisted we put the cake into (took it out the box). She said that she'd told them it was her cake!!

Whatever!!!

I just hope that whenever there's a big family get-together, they always ask her to bring her lovely carrot cake!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:18pm
post #11 of 38

Actually there is nothing you can do. Why get upset about it? She paid for it, it's hers to do as she pleases.

Mike

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:21pm
post #12 of 38

(Nicely) I told her that yes, I did mind and here's why:

#1 IT'S LYING.
#2 I just paid $144.00 for a tiny little ad in the newspaper to advertise my BUSINESS that I MAKE A LIVING AT AND PAY MY BILLS WITH
#3 Isn't it going to be a problem for her when 1/2 of the people at the party want her to make their next cake?

She paid me in full with a nice tip added on, but when I got in the car my daughter asked me why I looked so funny.

I told her the customer loved the cake and I got paid well, but I totally feel like I just got ripped off icon_sad.gif

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:23pm
post #13 of 38

She was funny to even ask. If that was her plan, why didn't she just leave with the cake and then do whatever with it? Why did she think she needed to ask if you minded? Of course you would mind! She knows she's being dishonest and wants someone else's permission I guess. People are funny.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:28pm
post #14 of 38

Ok, this isn't going to get me liked, but while I think it's absolutely a ridiculous thing to do and I would never knowingly let someone get away with it, I can see it being one of those things suggested in magazines as a quick, helpful "tip." if you know what I mean.

Of course I don't know why it would matter if you bought it or not; must be a self-esteem thing. But as long as I get paid, I don't really care what you do with my cake. But you'd think they might not be quite so OBVIOUS about it.

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:35pm
post #15 of 38

I can agree with some on how "after I get paid they can do what they want". But I can also agree that it would be, well, quite frankly ridiculous and rude for someone to do that. My ego would be bruised too.

Another poster on here suggested cake boards with your name and logo- I think that's a brilliant idea! Imagine the look on her face after telling everyone she made the cake, when all of a sudden they see "XXXXX's Bakery". icon_lol.gif

I guess this is another bump in the road for all of us out there. Who knows, maybe after I've delievered cupcakes to clients- they probably told their friends that THEY made them. Hmmmm....

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:36pm
post #16 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosstx

She was funny to even ask. If that was her plan, why didn't she just leave with the cake and then do whatever with it? Why did she think she needed to ask if you minded? Of course you would mind! She knows she's being dishonest and wants someone else's permission I guess. People are funny.

Ditto all of that!! I totally agree. icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:43pm
post #17 of 38

Wow! The audacity of some people! I tell you...

Well...the good news is that even if she tells people they are her cakes. Now they all want your cakes - it sounds like she's going to have to keep "making" cakes while she is secretly buying them from you.

If that is the case, then at least you're still going to be making money. But it's just really dumb on her part.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:46pm
post #18 of 38

WAIT!!!! Remember the story about the woman who had to cover a roll of toilet paper with icing because she forgot to bake the cake for an auction? And sent her daughter to bid on it? But the stuffy biotch won it instead and passed it off as her own?

Totally.

Make sure she orders from you again so you can do this.

Ok...just kidding, but it sounds fun!!

Freaking morons. The world is infested with them.

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:47pm
post #19 of 38

I've had the same thing happen to me. One of my customers would ask for a cake and always want it on her cake plate. No box or etc. At first I was pi****. Well I thought about it, stewed on it and finally relized that it's her CAKE. She bought and paid for it. She can or will do with it whatever she wants. If she plays it off as hers it will come back to bite her in the butt. Guaranteed!!! Always does! She stills orders from me and I still sell to her. She may say that they are hers and no it's not right and I'd love to have the credit but things like this happens when you deal with the public. You gotta take the good with the bad.
Sorry this happened to you. I know how you feel.

Stephanie

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 7:17pm
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladiesofthehouse

(Nicely) I told her that yes, I did mind and here's why:

#1 IT'S LYING.
#2 I just paid $144.00 for a tiny little ad in the newspaper to advertise my BUSINESS that I MAKE A LIVING AT AND PAY MY BILLS WITH
#3 Isn't it going to be a problem for her when 1/2 of the people at the party want her to make their next cake?

She paid me in full with a nice tip added on, but when I got in the car my daughter asked me why I looked so funny.

I told her the customer loved the cake and I got paid well, but I totally feel like I just got ripped off icon_sad.gif

I agree that she is wrong for passing off your cake as her own, but if you look at the bright side she paid in full and gave you a nice tip. When someone comes to her for another cake, she can order from you, pay you in full and give you another nice tip.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 7:18pm
post #21 of 38

I forgot to say that I'm sure people steal and pass off other people's cakes all the time, they just don't announce it.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 7:24pm
post #22 of 38

I'm tellin ya' icon_biggrin.gif

For the annual church fund raiser,
Joan was going to make a cake.
She was in an awful hurry,
She had but little time to bake.

When she took it from the oven,
The middle was one great big hole.
She saw it was about the size
Of a toilet paper roll.

She quickly ran and got a roll
And deftly fitted it inside.
The icing was a masterpiece,
Joan delivered the cake with pride.

When the sale began tomorrow,
She would have her daughter go
And be first in line to buy it
So that no one would ever know.

But when her daughter picked it up,
A lady snatched it from her hand.
She said, I need it for a party,
Im sure your mom will understand.

The lady, known to be a snob,
Was never one to be denied.
She ignored the fact completely
That Joans daughter nearly cried.

Joans troubles were not yet over
Because, to please a new found friend,
There was someones bridal shower
That she had promised to attend.

Joan was overcome with horror,
When she was shown into the room,
Her cake was on the serving shelf!
It would finally spell her doom.

A group of ladies stood around it
Making comments about her cake;
Remarking on its beauty and
How hard it must have been to make.

Joan was heading for the doorway,
Praying hard that she could make it.
She was sure the snobbish woman
Knew shed been the one to bake it.

But with a threatening look towards Joan,
The hostess, at the serving shelf,
Said, I baked it just this morning
And decorated it myself!

Joans response to the threatening look
Was just a sheepish grin and nod.
That day, Joan had learned for certain
That, yes, there really is a GOD!

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 7:32pm
post #23 of 38

LOL Jamie too funny!

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 7:36pm
post #24 of 38

the nerve of some people!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 7:39pm
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannersmom

I've had the same thing happen to me. One of my customers would ask for a cake and always want it on her cake plate. No box or etc. At first I was pi****. Well I thought about it, stewed on it and finally relized that it's her CAKE. She bought and paid for it. She can or will do with it whatever she wants. If she plays it off as hers it will come back to bite her in the butt. Guaranteed!!! Always does! She stills orders from me and I still sell to her. She may say that they are hers and no it's not right and I'd love to have the credit but things like this happens when you deal with the public. You gotta take the good with the bad.
Sorry this happened to you. I know how you feel.

Stephanie

Amen, sister! I don't get attached to my cakes, so I don't care what happens to them after I get paid and they're delivered/picked up. Heck, they can run over it with their car if they so choose.

I have a customer who orders a chocolate pound cake w/ chocolate icing about every 6 weeks. She puts it in her own cake carrier and passes it off as her own to her friends and fellow card club buddies. It's the easiest $25 I make.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 7:44pm
post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

There is a lady with a small bakery here where I live. She always orders from illegal cake ladies and passes them off as her own, since she doesn't actually decorate cakes. She doesn't even supply the cake for them either. She purchases the cake fully decorated and has the person deliver the cake to her shop, then she boxes it in her boxes and delivers to the venues.

She tried to get me to do the same thing with her, and I said NO WAY!

This woman's shop needs to be shut down. If she is getting these cakes from non-licenced vendors/bakers and re-selling them to the public, doesn't matter if she claims they are 'hers" or not, that's illegal for a multitude of health/liability reasons.

There's no law which says someone can't claim a cake they got from a bakery is theirs if they're just bragging at a party. icon_sad.gif It only becomes illegal if money exchanges hands over it*.

*With exceptions obviously! Like if someone goes to a bakery and buys stuff for a fund-raiser event like for a church or school that's one thing. That falls under "Non-profit" clauses and protections.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 9:54pm
post #27 of 38

I think that's just rude, but I still don't know why she would even ask you. When I bake for a party what I do is I tell people if you like it then I made it and if you don't then DH made it. LOL

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 10:04pm
post #28 of 38

heheheh, i wonder what she is going to do when she is asked to "bake" other cakes for family or friends - at least you might have a repeat customer

what about hiding a business card between the cake board and the cake... as the cake is cut, wow - whats this, a business card with "cake baked by" on it icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 10:15pm
post #29 of 38

I've got customers that do this too, I could care less......because once their friends and family have MY cake, she's stuck ALWAYS ordering from me.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 10:20pm
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Sooo . . . what'd you say?

inquirirng minds want to know.

hijack, but couldn't help noticing Leah and Debi have "twin" pictures for their avatars... isn't that cute!?!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%