What Board To Use?

Decorating By mommybaker602 Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 2:40pm by mommybaker602

mommybaker602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommybaker602 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 16

When you deliver a cake, what do you put it on? Right now I just have cardboard circles, but I'm thinking for a 10" round I'm going to need something a little more sturdy. Do you use an actual wood board and ask for it back? What do you cover your board with? I'm doing a bc cake, no fondant, so I'll need to cover the board with something to avoid the grease marks from the icing.

THanks!

15 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 16

I use foamcore and cut to size. I cover with scrapbook paper or wrapping paper the clear contact paper or press n' seal. You'll want to put a cake circle cut to size under the bottom layer if using contact paper so there is no contact.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 16

I use 3 pre-cut Wilton boards hot glued together (alternating the corragation(sp?)). I cover it in a coordinating fabric, then vinyl that can be bought an different thicknesses by the yard at the craft store for fairly cheap, and then glue a cute ribbon around the edge.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1564008

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1564004

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 16

Hi if your doing a say 4 layer cake, do you still use the same, i know you have to put dowels between, then i watched edna take a long pointed one down the center of the cake, but does it go through the card board between all the layers that easy without pushing the layers into the others thanks

polliwawg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
polliwawg Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 16

I usually sharpen the middle dowel so that it does go through all of the cardboard easily. You can tap it with a hammer or something too so that it goes in a little easier too.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 16

I use cake drums that are already pre covered in either white, silver, or gold. They are about a half inch thick, then I usually border it with ribbon, feathers, boa, etc. I get them from o a s i s s u p p l y . c o m
I get them by the 6 pack, and I have used them for cakes easily up to 75 pounds, fondant and buttercream. I know that Michaels also sells these in wilton brand. I have also taken foam poster board, I get it at walmart, cut it to the size needed, and covered that to coordinate with my cake design. Hope this helps!

mommybaker602 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by apetricek

I use cake drums that are already pre covered in either white, silver, or gold. They are about a half inch thick, then I usually border it with ribbon, feathers, boa, etc. I get them from o a s i s s u p p l y . c o m
I get them by the 6 pack, and I have used them for cakes easily up to 75 pounds, fondant and buttercream. I know that Michaels also sells these in wilton brand. I have also taken foam poster board, I get it at walmart, cut it to the size needed, and covered that to coordinate with my cake design. Hope this helps!

What do you cover that board with? I may go get that foam poster board. Do you buy vinyl to cover it with? What about fabric? Any tips for making a circle look really good? Or would you just use a square board for a round cake?

apetricek Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 9:07pm
post #8 of 16

I either use a cake pan as a template and trace it on the foam board. I have used them as a square as well. I just use an exacto knife to cut it...takes some time, and has to be a new blade. I would think the vinyl, and all that would be costly. I actually have florist foil that I wrap it with. It is a colored foil, that has a plastic backing on it. I am sure you could go to a florist and purchase a roll from them. I know you can also look on ebay. I know that wilton also makes white gold and silver in it. I know my Michaels/Acmoore has it in where the wilton products are. It is made for cakes, so the icing, fondant, etc. doesn't stain. Remember this is usually going in the trash, so figure out your cheapest method. Like I said me buying the drums pre wrapped and finished from the whole sale was the most time saving, as well as cost effective...they are done you just put your cake on, and start decorating...good luck!

tiggy2 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 10:55pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommybaker602

Quote:
Originally Posted by apetricek

What do you cover that board with? I may go get that foam poster board. Do you buy vinyl to cover it with? What about fabric? Any tips for making a circle look really good? Or would you just use a square board for a round cake?

I cover with scrapbook paper or wrapping paper the clear contact paper or press n' seal. You'll want to put a cake circle cut to size under the bottom layer if using contact paper so there is no contact.

mommybaker602 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:07am
post #10 of 16

So let me make sure I understand this...

I put my 10" round on a 10" round cardboard cake circle. Then I cover whatever board I use--let's say I'm going to use the foam board cut in a square from Wal-Mart. I cut it into my shape, cover it with paper, then put contact paper over that? Or could I just use contact paper to begin with (like the shelf liner paper)? I want to do something rather plain on the board. I also want to put chocolate covered strawberries in a bunch (like maybe groups of 3) on the corners.

Am I getting this right? Jeez, I feel so stupid! I usually just do it at the time I need it and don't have to worry about the icing bleeding.

tiggy2 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:13am
post #11 of 16

That is correct.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:24am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenng1482

I use 3 pre-cut Wilton boards hot glued together (alternating the corragation(sp?)). I cover it in a coordinating fabric, then vinyl that can be bought an different thicknesses by the yard at the craft store for fairly cheap, and then glue a cute ribbon around the edge.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1564008

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1564004

I do the same.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:43am
post #13 of 16

Here is another totally different idea that I do (I only do some cakes for friends and family). I am not so creative with the scrapping paper, etc so what I have done is go to thrift stores and picked up nice glass plates or silver trays, even clear glass microwave plates in some different sizes and shapes. I can get them for 50 cents sometimes and always under a buck. I will be donating a cake for a fundraiser and with my cheapo but nice looking and sturdy plate I don't have to worry about getting the plate back. But if I get it back, fine with me too.

mommybaker602 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:30am
post #14 of 16

In the past I've always put them on a plastic tray that I get from the party supply store, but I wanted something sturdier since I'm going to be delivering it. This is acutally my first "sale"! I haven't been legal until now, so I'm just starting with this professional stuff. icon_biggrin.gif

apetricek Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:59am
post #15 of 16

I usually use the next pan size up for my template...so for a 10 inch cake I use a 12 inch cake pan, that way you have some room for borders on the cake, or extra added things, like flowers, etc. I also always add a ribbon, boa, etc to my board so that way they aren't right up on the cake...also makes it easier to handle, you don't want to have to worry about sticking your fingers in the cake by accident. I have also gone up 2 sizes at times, depending on what I want the base to look like. My dollar store carries contact paper, and they also have cute pre-printed ones as well that I have used....cars, pooh, princesses...so check there to save ya some money.

mommybaker602 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:40pm
post #16 of 16

I'm going to be making a trip to the dollar store today! Thanks for the hint. I'm going to get all of my board supplies today. I need to bake the cakes today...trying to decide if I want to torte both layers or not. I'm doing a 10" round, so it wouldn't be that hard, but I don't want to put anything other than BC in it...is that strange? I think it would look really pretty to cut it open and see 3 layers of pink cake with white icing.

Thanks for all of your help! I'm really excited about all of this now! I'm going to be baking today and decorating tomorrow icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%