Another Cake Muggle...

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 9:30pm by FullHouse

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:01pm
post #31 of 36

After this thread started the other day, I had an appointment to get my hair done and was telling my stylist about it. She totally knew what I was talking about because it happens all the time with her customers. They want to know why a cut is one price and a cut with a blow dry and style is another... "Its all the same, it's just a cut." She was saying how they don't realize that if they want the blow dry and the curling iron, she is not going to pick up the tab for the electricity and that is why the price goes up. Just like it was said before a cake is NOT just a cake. It is truly an intricate balance between art and practicality (defined as: of, concerned with, or dealing realistically and sensibly with everyday activities, work, etc.)

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 1:33pm
post #32 of 36

...so today somebody wanted a 3D cake...two actually....one for 11 ppl and one for 15 ppl and hoping for a discount since she was ordering two.

icon_confused.gif

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 1:48pm
post #33 of 36

I had one last week wanted a cake that I have in my cake gallery on my website, I told her the very first time we spoke the cake topper was provided by the client at the end of the 3 week conversation with her finally deciding to order a smaller less intricate cake then she wanted since she has a budget of only $150 for 45 guests, she then asked for another $30.00 off the cake due to she would have to buy the cake topper. The topper was a procilin beach theme topper that retails for thirty dollars, I finally told her that we were booked for that week and can no longer take her order. I also told her we are just like any other retailer, you wiuld not go into a shoe store and ask for a discount because the shoe you can afford does not look like the shoe you like in the magazine.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:04pm
post #34 of 36

Yes, then there's the one I've been mentioning for years now -- the super cheap broad sitting with me in the oversized kitchen of her 10,000 square foot mansion telling me "but you don't understand, I want a 6 foot wedding cake and I DON'T want to pay for it." icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif Honey, first of all I'm NOT donating to your cause, second you'll have to pay WHEREVER you go and third, this champagne taste on a beer budget argument doesn't fly in THIS oversized house! icon_twisted.gif

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:13pm
post #35 of 36

I had one call yesterday for a john deere tractor for a 4 year old's birthday. She said she wanted one like A of C and it only needed to feed 20 people. When I gave her the price, I thought she was going to have heart failure. I asked her how much she thought one from A of C would be and she thought $50-$75. I told her to go log on to his site and while the cakes shown don't have a price on them, the starting price for any cake is listed at $1000. Didn't sound like she believed me, I'm sure she was typing on her keyboard as soon as our call was done.

I would LOVE them to say how much the cakes are they have on any of the shows.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:30pm
post #36 of 36

I had a call from someone looking for a 3D car cake. After discussing size and basic design she mentioned that she had already called another baker and was amazed that they wanted $120 for the cake. I let her know that price was very reasonable and explained how many hours of labor are involved; she was truly suprised, she had only been thinking in terms of serving size, not understanding the amount of time that goes into that type of cake. I had no idea myself before I started making cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%