Black Ri

Baking By Samsgranny Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 12:21am by bonniebakes

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 10

Hello,
I haven't made black RI in a while and have forgotten how I made it. Please share any tips...can't use melted chocolate as a base.

I haven't posted in a while ~ do you all still do the monthly cookie thing?

Thanks,
T.

9 replies
luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 10

Some add cocoa to the icing before coloring it black so that you don't need a lot of it to get the color.
I believe it was gemini who said she combines all her colored icings at the end of a project and colors that black.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 10

I use Americolor superblack - it's more intense color - you still have to use a lot though.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 10

yea, GeminiRJ said to mix everything at the end, and usually I have alot more black then I need then ,so I store it so next tienm I have black already, incase I need it before the end!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 10

and black glace will store very nicely as opposed to black RI that will start separating.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:06am
post #6 of 10

I start with brown RI - not from coloring it with gel, though, from adding a little bit of cocoa powder (the Hershey's dark works great and tastes yummy).

Be sure to sift it well... or, I make a slurry from cocoa powder and a little bit of water and then add that to the RI. I do that before I "water down" the RI to the consistency I need it.

Then, I use americolor black... it doesn't take nearly as much when you start with brown.

another trick is to color it to a dark gray, then let it set overnight. It will darken to black.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:21am
post #7 of 10

bonniebakes- does that make it chocoalate RI? and I never knew about leaving it over night!

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the great tips!

Theresa

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:57pm
post #9 of 10

I do the same thing of adding Hershey's Special Dark to my RI to a medium brown color (great hint I got from SweetDreamsAT), then adding some Americolor Black and letting it sit overnight so the color will deepen. Do not add too much cocoa or you can change the consistency and workablity of the RI too much. It will give it a nice subtle cocoa taste.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:21am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

bonniebakes- does that make it chocoalate RI? and I never knew about leaving it over night!

I guess it does...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%