Tax & License Questions For Nc

Business By Dreme Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 7:11pm by littlelucy30

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 8

I just had my home inspection this past Monday and passed. I have got most of my forms I need to fill out: DBA form, Trademark form, Home Occupation Use Permit, The Business License. I am a sole proprietor and I will not have any employees.

What I want to know is:

1. Do I definately need the Sales & Use Tax Business Registration Application?

2. Do I need a privilage license?

3. Do I need to fill out a form for Food & Beverage Tax?

4. I bake and decorate cakes, cupcakes, and cookies from home. Am I an Artisan or an Independent Baker? Both seem to apply.

5. Just because you had an inspection does it mean you are legal? Seems like thats what people are saying. Exactly what does the inspection entitle you do?

6.What defines the date you start doing business? The date you file the business license? Would it be questionable if you have a date way before you filed?

7. Am I missing something that I coud use or need form or application wise?

Any help will be appreciated.

7 replies
keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 8

I don't know all your answers but you do need to file for the sales tax. They will assign you a number to file your tax payments. Yes you are "legal" within the scope of a home business- can't require refrigeration was what I was told.

babyhugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyhugs Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 8

Congrats Dreme!! I don't have any answers for you but I do have a question. icon_redface.gif Can you tell me where you found out what exactly they look at during the inspection? It's still a dream for me, but I am gathering info! If you can PM me with some tips that would be very much appreciated!! TIA!!

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 12:21am
post #4 of 8

Congrats Dreme. I am a licensed home-baker as well. I have a sales/tax ID # as a sole proprietor. I also have liability Ins.(for your own protection). All of these questions can be answered by the Inspector or he can direct you to where you need go to find the answers. I would think that your start date would be when you obtained your business license. I wouldn't pick an earlier date unless you reported it and paid taxes on the money you earned(were you LEGAL at this earlier date?). Also you need to check with your county to let them know what your plans are. Here is a # for the sales/tax lic. 1-877-252-3052. Most of the time it's a regional location that you have to contact but not knowing where you live they can direct you to the other #. If you have anymore questions I'll be happy to answer them if I can.
Also, I don't think you need a privilege lic. Food and Bev tax shouldn't apply to you. But these are all the questions that can be answered at the tax office. As far as legal goes. Yes, you are legal with the Dept Ag but you need all the other LEGALS to go along with it.



Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 12:37am
post #5 of 8

The privilege license depends on the town you live in. Cary, Raleigh, Morrisville, Holly Springs all require one. Some do not.

bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 12:55am
post #6 of 8

Your site is Gorgeous !!!! And so are your creations !! You should be soooo PROUD !!!!

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 1:31pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone for your help! Thanks bennett5 for the compliment!

babyhugs I will be pming you soon. I had started typing and then it all erased when I accidentally hit something.

littlelucy30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlelucy30 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 8

Hi Dreme,
I'm in the Charlotte area and I had to have a privilege license. I also have to have a sales tax number. I did not have to turn in a form for Food and Beverage license. I think that's only if the items are for immediate consumption on site.
As for question #4, what is that pertaining to?
I think once you get your privilege license and get inspected, you are legal.
The date on your license would be the start of your business.
Can you also respond or PM me and let me know how the inspection went? I'm set up in a rental house and was wondering if they are going to comment on the lack of furniture in the rooms besides the kitchen. LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%