Since Everyone Else Has Done It.. Here's My Website!

Business By DelectabilityCakes Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 4:44pm by FromScratch

DelectabilityCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelectabilityCakes Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 12

Hey guys.. this is just a temp for now... but I've got my website on a free hosting website until I switch over to my own domain in the next couple of weeks.. so there are a few ads but luckily it doesn't affect the site.

I put it online just to check the compatibility between browsers and different computers... (home, work, etc.) trying to make sure it looks fine on everyone's systems.

Tell me what you think guys.

http://www.delectabilitycakes.bravehost.com

Eventually it's going to be http://www.delectabilitycakes.com

.... but for now... it's fine... it's not listed anywhere and I still have to work on the gallery, a link to the blog and the FAQ.

Let me know what you think.. I still think it doesn't look professional enough and it's bothering me. I need something else. I have to upload a picture to the top left of the company name...

And I'm still in the process of debating the menu vs. just including all flavoring at the same price and just uping my base price.. like I said it's not completed but it's close.

11 replies
Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 12

I think you are well on your way. I love your graphics-very chic. Your FAQ page and Contact page have the same thing on them, so you will definitely need to remedy that. Good luck! Can't wait to see it when it's done.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 12

-I'd like to see your lists of flavors and baked goods alphabetized.

-I clicked on the FAQ and got a contact form.

-On the first page you list a bunch of desserts and then claim to make 'some' of them. If you make only some of what's listed, then why list all those and not just the ones you do make? KWIM?

-$1.00 per portion for cakes? You do realize that by charging so little you are actually paying your customers to take those cakes off your hands?

-Simple, yet detailed design is an oxymoron. Which is it? Simple, or detailed? 'Cause you can't have both.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 12

While I enjoyed the site's overall appearance, I didn't notice the scrollbar within the main window and I thought that you had lost part of the paragraph. My mouse was on the left side of the screen and wouldn't scroll down unless I was in a certain section. If you plan on keeping this format, I'd suggest making the separate sides of the screen more distinct.

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 12:01am
post #5 of 12

I liked the overall site. Looks great. On the contact us page; it says or CALL ME, but there is no # listed nor an address. This may help your customer.

HTH

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:38pm
post #6 of 12

I think you have a nice start. I think I would be a little overwhelmed with the flavor choices. (of course I only offer just a few compared to you!) but maybe if it were listed a little differently, it would be easier to take in (for example something like this instead of separated by commas) JMO

Chocolate Butter Yellow
Marble Spice White

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:04am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

-I'd like to see your lists of flavors and baked goods alphabetized.

-I clicked on the FAQ and got a contact form.

-On the first page you list a bunch of desserts and then claim to make 'some' of them. If you make only some of what's listed, then why list all those and not just the ones you do make? KWIM?

-$1.00 per portion for cakes? You do realize that by charging so little you are actually paying your customers to take those cakes off your hands?

-Simple, yet detailed design is an oxymoron. Which is it? Simple, or detailed? 'Cause you can't have both.

Ditto to this... it's a good start though. icon_smile.gif

DelectabilityCakes Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:03am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by springlakecake

I think you have a nice start. I think I would be a little overwhelmed with the flavor choices. (of course I only offer just a few compared to you!) but maybe if it were listed a little differently, it would be easier to take in (for example something like this instead of separated by commas) JMO

Chocolate Butter Yellow
Marble Spice White

I know... I can't tell which way I want to list it so it's a work in progress. I really just want to do the combinations that are premade but have the list somewhere in the shop and in other documentation when it comes to people asking if we can do something different than what things come with standard.

I appreciate all the comments.. I'm waiting for Mensch to write back so that I know if you guys are referring to the party cakes which I'm going to up the price.. I can risk going a little higher compared with my area without throwing away clients.. so I'm going to up the sheets to 40, 65 and 120 and then the 10, 12, 14 and 16 I'm still debating on.. since I went out to dinner I have to sit down and figure it back out.

But I'm thinking that I'm going to go with the higher starting price and just drop off the additional charges for flavours other than the specialty combinations but I'm still figuring it all out.

FromScratch Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:34am
post #9 of 12

How did you come up with your prices? I think they are low, but I don't know what your costs are. Are these fully decorated cakes or just borders and "happy birthday you" written on them?

Your wedding prices aren't horrid, but those party cake prices... YIKES!! (meant in the best way) If they aren't any different than your wedding cakes then they should be priced comparatively. icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:58pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelectabilityCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by springlakecake

Chocolate Butter Yellow
Marble Spice White

I know... I can't tell which way I want to list it so it's a work in progress. I really just want to do the combinations that are premade but have the list somewhere in the shop and in other documentation when it comes to people asking if we can do something different than what things come with standard.

I appreciate all the comments.. I'm waiting for Mensch to write back so that I know if you guys are referring to the party cakes which I'm going to up the price.. I can risk going a little higher compared with my area without throwing away clients.. so I'm going to up the sheets to 40, 65 and 120 and then the 10, 12, 14 and 16 I'm still debating on.. since I went out to dinner I have to sit down and figure it back out.

But I'm thinking that I'm going to go with the higher starting price and just drop off the additional charges for flavours other than the specialty combinations but I'm still figuring it all out.

ooops well the way I thought I typed out the flavors in my reply didn't post the same way. I thought I had them a bit more separated (like in list form)

DelectabilityCakes Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:27pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

How did you come up with your prices? I think they are low, but I don't know what your costs are. Are these fully decorated cakes or just borders and "happy birthday you" written on them?

Your wedding prices aren't horrid, but those party cake prices... YIKES!! (meant in the best way) If they aren't any different than your wedding cakes then they should be priced comparatively. icon_smile.gif

Yeah they're rather plain simple designs... Buttercream flowers and a message..maybe images and logos etc. Everything else is a specialty cake. A little bit of chocolate shavings like on a chocolate mocha... Just basic detailing..

I'm working to bring up the prices... But am I underdoing the cakes or underdoing the price..

I have a feeling it's both compared with my colleages... Love you guys and I will alphabatize it and possibly take down the listing and make the menu the main thing or maybe list the main combinations like everyone else does but I wanted to do something different.

FromScratch Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:44pm
post #12 of 12

For a basic cake like you are talking... the price can definitely be a little lower, but not so much that you aren't making much off of them. Make sure you are covering your costs and llowing yuself to make some money. If they take you no time at all then you have the luxury of offering them a little lower... but don't work for sweatshop wages. icon_smile.gif

In the beginning I listed out every flavor I could think of. Now I just list popular combos and let people know that the sky is the limit. I found that people wold get overwhelmed and thy ended up just asking me what I would do most of the time anyway. So now ask them for a direction they want to go with their flavors and offer suggestions... do you want tart and fruity? or rich and sweet? or tropical and exotic?... but you should do what you you think will work best for you. icon_smile.gif

Good luck getting it all figured out. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%