Anyone Interested In Posting Prices With Their Pics?

Decorating By nhbaker Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 12:28am by Donnabugg

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 1:14pm
post #31 of 36

Great input everyone is giving. -- Many issues to consider. Never thought about it from a customer's propective -- "cake shopping" so to speak. So maybe posting price with pic wouldn't be so great.

If someone is curious about the price, maybe send a PM to ask what they charged -- recipient could either answer it or bow out gracefully.???

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:43pm
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelka

And I on another hand do not think it would help much due to large geographical difficulties. Prices in NY and in OR would differ a bit. So technically I cant charge same price as a person living in Michigan. And thats Independent even from the skill level. There is no other way to get a fair price but calculate it yourself. Nobody else can tell you how much to charge for your creations. I know calculating a fair price takes time, but you have to do it to be fair to yourself as well as fellows decorators.

I wish there was an applaud emoticon.....THIS is exactly why the "pricing threads" are silly. thumbs_up.gif

A number of us send clients to this site for inspiration/ideas....I really don't want someone coming back to me with a pic of a gorgeous cake that the artist sold for $1 per serving (YES THEY EXIST HERE). I don't want to get into explaining why some people give their cakes away and I don't. thumbsdown.gif

I vote for no prices please.

As one of those who simply does cakes for friends and family, I am often curious about the cost of some of these gorgeous cakes. The simplest solution is to go to the web sites of the pros. Their prices are listed for the most part. I have to agree with Lelka about the geographical differences. They truly affect the prices. Added to that problem is the fact that so many CCers don't even list their location.
Deb has also made an excellent point about using this site for inspiration/ideas. I think it would just cause more pricing problems and the question "How come such and such a baker does it for $$$ and you don't?"

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:27pm
post #33 of 36

I think it's more common to list things like:
- Minimum cake prices start at (x) amount
- buttercream cakes start at (x) amount per serving
- fondant covered cakes start at (x) amount per serving
as opposed to listing the EXACT cost of a cake.

People like Ron Ben Israel, Sylvia Weinstock (and many other TOP RATED cake artists in the country) are so exclusive that they don't have to list their prices... but normal, successful and reputable cake artists usually have a section on their web pages that include basic information, like cake flavors, prices, delivery etc!!

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:35pm
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandslice

Most people who charge for cakes have websites where they detail their pricing structure. So if you want to know what someone charges for their cakes, look at their website.
No need to put it here as well.

I agree. In addition, I dont think it would cut down on the pricing threads because someone telling you WHAT they charged for a cake still doesnt teach you HOW you should price YOUR cake.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:52pm
post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesweetiecake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandslice

Most people who charge for cakes have websites where they detail their pricing structure. So if you want to know what someone charges for their cakes, look at their website.
No need to put it here as well.

I agree. In addition, I dont think it would cut down on the pricing threads because someone telling you WHAT they charged for a cake still doesnt teach you HOW you should price YOUR cake.

A big EXACTLY!!! thumbs_up.gif

People who want to sell cakes need to learn how to price their own work/cakes. If they just keep asking "how much should I charge?" and we tell them....they'll never learn how to do it themselves.

I've likened it to helping our children with their homework...if we give them all the answers without showing them how we obtained that answer then they'll never learn.

Guidance, yes....doing it for them, no.

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:28am
post #36 of 36

At first I was like "What a great idea" but after reading other point of views I'm not so sure.

There has been a few times I've PM'd the person and asked if they wouldn't mind sharing what they charged.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%